Mar 26, 2012, 8:22 PM EST
Jon Heyman of CBSSports.com recently reported that the Indians restructured the contract of Roberto Hernandez, formerly known as Fausto Carmona, following his arrest on false identity charges in January. Now we know the details.
According to the Associated Press, Hernandez will make $2.5 million as a base salary in 2012 and can earn an additional $2.7 million in performance and roster bonuses. He was previously set to earn $7 million this season after the Indians picked up his club option in October. His $9 million option for 2013 was also reduced to $6 million, but he has a chance to make an additional $3 million in bonuses based on innings pitched.
Of course, Hernandez won’t earn a dime until he is removed from MLB’s restricted list. He recently reached a deal to have his false identity charges dropped in exchange for completing a work program in his native Dominican Republic, but he is currently awaiting a work visa to return to the United States.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 3
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 10
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 31
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 290
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 51
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (290)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (114)
- Cuban prospect Yoan Moncada reportedly signs with the Red Sox for $31.5 million, plus $31.5 million in penalties (106)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)