Mar 26, 2012, 2:14 PM EDT
Aaron Thompson, who was the Marlins’ first-round pick in 2005 and is now in the Twins’ organization on a minor-league contract, has been suspended 50 games after testing positive for a “drug of abuse.”
His track record in the minors is mediocre at best and Thompson was never an option to make the big-league roster out of spring training, but apparently the Twins will keep him in the organization despite the suspension.
Once activated the 25-year-old left-hander will likely be a fifth starter or long reliever at Triple-A.
- Clayton Kershaw cleared to begin rehab assignment on Friday at High-A Rancho Cucamonga 0
- Michael Pineda ejected in second inning for pine tar on neck, facing a 10-game suspension 46
- Mark Trumbo diagnosed with stress fracture in foot 6
- Josh Johnson needs a second Tommy John surgery 19
- Sammy Sosa wasn’t invited to Wrigley Field’s 100th birthday 42