Frank McCourt is making good on a charitable commitment

Mar 26, 2012, 2:31 PM EDT

Frank McCourt

When Frank and Jamie McCourt bought the Dodgers several years ago, one of their signature philanthropic initiatives was the Dodgers Dreamfield program, which was devoted to renovating and reviving youth baseball fields serving disadvantaged neighborhoods.

It would fit a certain storyline involving Frank McCourt if the promise of that initiative went unfulfilled.  But, thankfully — and to Mr. McCourt’s credit — that is not the case. From the Los Angeles Times:

The Dodgers Dream Foundation built — or rebuilt — nine youth baseball fields across Southern California from 2003 to 2010. In 2011, as McCourt’s ownership collapsed, he radically accelerated the Dreamfield program … the Dodgers Dream Foundation delivered 10 fields last year alone.

The Dodgers are rushing to complete six more fields this year — before April 30, when McCourt is scheduled to transfer ownership to new hands. After last weekend’s ceremony, the Dodgers have five fields to complete within five weeks, which would increase the total number of fields to 25.

Now, don’t anyone ruin this by talking about how many more they could have done if for not this or that or by telling me that the only reason McCourt rushed to do this was because of some complicated tax incentive or something.

I mean, there’s plenty of reasons to dislike Frank McCourt. I would prefer it if there were one reason left to like him.

1. Old Gator - Mar 26, 2012 at 3:11 PM

Los Angelinos, vote now. By a show of hands, will this be enough to keep him out of hell?

• lanflfan - Mar 26, 2012 at 4:42 PM

His seat is already reserved, the only question is does he get the lube or not.

• bigharold - Mar 26, 2012 at 6:05 PM

You don’t go to Hades for screwing up a sports franchise, .. or even being a stupid narcissistic self centered bastard.

Hopefully he’ll live long enough to see the Dodger’s return to their former glory in spite of the damage he inflicted on the franchise.

2. cur68 - Mar 26, 2012 at 3:33 PM

This is Dodger Good News, right? I mean, its been so long since I’ve seen any I’m not sure if I recognize it when it happens, but something is setting off my Spider Sense and telling me this is the real deal. Since my Spider Sense is never wrong (it once told me that Krispy Kreame Doughnuts would be a failure in the Canadian market: way to Spider Sense. Wish you’d told me not to marry Daisy Buchanan, though), I shall comment:

Nice.

Now get lost, Frank.

3. granted42 - Mar 26, 2012 at 4:06 PM

1.5 times as many fields done in two years as in the previous seven years is telling me there is something else other than altruism at work here. Call me cynical, or maybe McCourt is just too evil to do anything that didn’t benefit him financially, or to keep his word.

• ptfu - Mar 26, 2012 at 6:19 PM

Fair enough, we can’t discount the possibility of sleaze. Who owns the parking lots around the fields? This is McCourt after all.

Or maybe McCourt realized he’s about to lose everything to his ex-wife and his creditors, and he’s got no reason to accommodate them. So maybe he figured, if they’re gonna take it all anyway then might as well (slightly) repair his image/legacy first. Plus he can stick it to his wife and creditors by having that much less for them to grab later on–might as well spend whatever he’s got now. And oh yeah, there’s the whole “helping kids” thing.

The moral of this story is that sleaziness ultimately benefits kids! :-)

• jimbo1949 - Mar 26, 2012 at 7:30 PM

Not if you own a strip club.

4. lanflfan - Mar 26, 2012 at 4:44 PM

The next good Dodger news will be the item showing the new owner getting the “keys” and Frank getting a size 16 ski boot up his brains.

5. tuftsb - Mar 26, 2012 at 7:34 PM

Imagine how much more “good” they could have done if they didn’t pay Howard Sunkin over $ 400,000 and trigger a California state AG’s office investigation for excessive pay to a not for profit executive….

They turned a public trust into a seedy source for cash.

Jackie Robinson Day is bittersweet