Jamie Moyer is older than Wilford Brimley was in “The Natural”?!

Mar 26, 2012, 11:01 AM EDT

moyer getty Getty Images

A lot of people have been having fun with Jamie Moyer‘s age this spring. My friend Baseball Crank has been tweeting random players who are younger than Jamie Moyer. Guys like Sam Horn, Billy Ripken and Ozzie Guillen.  It’s kind of mind-blowing.

Today Jim Caple of ESPN.com has a list of 49 Jamie Moyer facts. They’re not all about his age, but most of the interesting ones are.  Here’s the most mindblowing of them all:

At 49 years and four months, Moyer not only is older than Robert Redford was when he played Roy Hobbs in “The Natural” (46 when filming began), he’s older than was Wilford Brimley (48 at start of filming), who portrayed old manager Pop Fisher.

To repeat. Jamie Moyer is older than the man on the right here:

source:

Mercy.

1. yankeesfanlen - Mar 26, 2012 at 11:05 AM

It’s still more than a week before Opening Day, so I guess parlor games are in order, and this one is kinda fun. Beats Bobby V. stories, anyway.

2. umrguy42 - Mar 26, 2012 at 11:15 AM

We had to read The Natural (and then watched the movie) for Sophomore HS English class. To be honest, I preferred the movie’s happy ending over the book, which felt too dark. I dunno, maybe I’m a sucker for happy endings.

• stex52 - Mar 26, 2012 at 11:23 AM

I see your point. The movie held out hope for redemption. Not the book.

• umrguy42 - Mar 26, 2012 at 5:11 PM

Hmm. I think you’ve managed to put your thumb right on the reason why I liked the movie better, and I thank you for that. Redemption is exactly it.

3. stex52 - Mar 26, 2012 at 11:22 AM

That explains one thing. I never understood why Brimley hung on for so many years looking essentially the same. He just showed the age first and plateaued for a long time.

But it does put it into perspective. From my experience, keeping up until about age 45 was not so hard, but it started getting a lot more difficult as 50 approached. For Moyer to be still willing to try is pretty impressive.

4. WhenMattStairsIsKing - Mar 26, 2012 at 11:28 AM

Hope you make it to 50, Jamie.

5. southcapitolstreet - Mar 26, 2012 at 11:29 AM

I think Jamie Moyer was pitching that time that Roy Hobbs literally hit the cover off the ball

6. hotkarlsandwich - Mar 26, 2012 at 11:30 AM

diabeetus

• patthewvvilke - Mar 26, 2012 at 12:07 PM

1 hour late to this post means I don’t get to make that comment.

Cap tipped.

7. aceshigh11 - Mar 26, 2012 at 11:52 AM

Holy shit.

In all fairness, Ol’ Wilford has always looked much older than he is. At least Moyer is younger than Richard Farnsworth.

Jamie Moyer is so old, he makes Abe Vigoda look like Justin Bieber.

• Francisco (FC) - Mar 26, 2012 at 1:51 PM

“At least Moyer is younger than Richard Farnsworth.”

At least Moyer is younger than Hubert Farnsworth

8. Jonny 5 - Mar 26, 2012 at 12:21 PM

Ok, No Wilford Brimley “Cocoon” connection to Moyer? That’s got to be it.

• jwbiii - Mar 26, 2012 at 12:28 PM

How about
      Wilford Brimley was in “True Grit” with James Westerfield.
      James Westerfield was in “Pride of the Yankees” with Babe Ruth.
      Babe Ruth was in “1915 World’s Championship Series” with Pat Moran.
      Pat Moran was the backup catcher for the 1908 Cubs.

• jwbiii - Mar 26, 2012 at 1:22 PM

Or maybe
        Jamie Moyer was on “PTI” with Tony Kornheiser.
        Tony Kornheiser was in “Mr. 3000″ with Paul Sorvino.
        Paul Sorvino was in “The Stuff” with Alexander Scourby.
        Alexander Scourby was in “The Glory of Their Times” with Harry Hooper.
        Harry Hooper was in “1915 World’s Championship Series” withwith Pat Moran.
        Pat Moran was the backup catcher for the 1908 Cubs.

Ok, Hooper is a bit of a stretch. He was dead long before the movie came out, but the taped interviews with Lawrence Ritter were kind of the point of the exercise.

9. Francisco (FC) - Mar 26, 2012 at 1:53 PM

This reminds me of the Mariners commercial. Pure Gold, I always laugh when I see it.

10. Francisco (FC) - Mar 26, 2012 at 1:59 PM

Opposing batters can’t study your old game films because they’re on Betamax.

LOL!

• cur68 - Mar 26, 2012 at 4:51 PM

Actually, that’s probably about right. I, however, prefer hyperbole in my Moyer Lore:
      When Moyer started pitching in MLB games all his scouting was done in cuneiform on clay tablets by scribe-scouts. This link is to the first ever, and only recently translated, scouting report on Moyer:

Roughly translated it says: “Not a lot of velocity, but he’s sneaky, accurate, and can change speeds, such as it is, without changing delivery. I suggest a minor league contract, two chickens and goat for a signing bonus, and he can start with or single A affiliate, The Akkadia Mud Hens”…now is that hyperbolic or what?

• Gamera the Brave - Mar 26, 2012 at 10:45 PM

(Golf claps)
        Well played, Mr. Cur sir!

This was 'the perfect baseball game'
  1. S. Kazmir (4993)