Mar 26, 2012, 11:01 AM EDT
A lot of people have been having fun with Jamie Moyer‘s age this spring. My friend Baseball Crank has been tweeting random players who are younger than Jamie Moyer. Guys like Sam Horn, Billy Ripken and Ozzie Guillen. It’s kind of mind-blowing.
Today Jim Caple of ESPN.com has a list of 49 Jamie Moyer facts. They’re not all about his age, but most of the interesting ones are. Here’s the most mindblowing of them all:
At 49 years and four months, Moyer not only is older than Robert Redford was when he played Roy Hobbs in “The Natural” (46 when filming began), he’s older than was Wilford Brimley (48 at start of filming), who portrayed old manager Pop Fisher.
To repeat. Jamie Moyer is older than the man on the right here:
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (244)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (167)
- The Red Sox are still steamed that a PED guy played against them in the playoffs last year (133)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (112)