OK, so maybe Joba Chamberlain didn’t almost die

Mar 26, 2012, 11:33 AM EDT

Milwaukee Brewers v New York Yankees Getty Images

Last week the New York Daily News had a report about how horrific Joba Chamberlain‘s ankle injury was. In it, there was talk about how Chamberlain lost a ton of blood and that, as such, there was fear that his life was in danger.

Eh, maybe not. Buster Olney had this line in his column this morning:

Joba Chamberlain is likely to speak to reporters later in the week, and he’s expected to tell them his life was never in jeopardy after his accident last Thursday.

I imagine fear for the life of a severely injured person is a subjective thing and is subject to various interpretations. But maybe — just maybe — there was a bit of sensationalism going on last week.

1. yankeesfanlen - Mar 26, 2012 at 11:42 AM

All right, all right. I’ve been about as sympathetic and supportive as I can stand over this self-induced tragedy.
    TFT ain’t no Lou Gehrig!!!!!!

• ptfu - Mar 26, 2012 at 12:19 PM

Glad he’s alive. Now he can get started on his custom-designed recovery program, aka the “Joba Rules”

2. jwbiii - Mar 26, 2012 at 11:42 AM

This is New York. When the BS becomes fact, print the BS.

• sdelmonte - Mar 26, 2012 at 11:44 AM

Just wait 15 minutes. It’s Saint Tebow Day, after all.

• yankeesfanlen - Mar 26, 2012 at 12:03 PM

Yeah, and HE fits right in with the Jets carnival. Nothing like having a Super Bowl champ and the Bowery Boys in the same town.

• sdelmonte - Mar 26, 2012 at 12:10 PM

What annoys me most is that we are a week from Opening Day and no one is talking about baseball. Yeah, maybe there isn’t much to say about the Mets. But shouldn’t CC and Friends be a bigger story than anything related to football in March?

• yankeesfanlen - Mar 26, 2012 at 12:24 PM

Yes. Yes it should. We’re on the verge of #28. Third week of October we just have to get by Verlander, Cabrera and Fielder.

• aceshigh11 - Mar 26, 2012 at 12:46 PM

sdelmonte, unfortunately football is now orders of magnitude more popular in America than baseball.

Even in March and April, it seems that any football news supersedes baseball news, even on the eve of Opening Day.

It really sucks, but that’s the reality.

• sdelmonte - Mar 26, 2012 at 12:47 PM

Yeah, I know. But I will be darned if I concede the point in March.

Even if I am reading PFT as I type this.

• sabathiawouldbegoodattheeighthtoo - Mar 26, 2012 at 12:46 PM

Len, I have a feeling a lot of things will be getting by Cabrera and Fielder this year. Jeter and his groundballing ways just may be the Kryptonite the Yankees need to overcome the Super Tigers.

• natstowngreg - Mar 26, 2012 at 1:24 PM

Today isn’t about football being more popular than baseball. It’s about Tim Tebow, a cultural phenomenon beyond his sport.

• sdelmonte - Mar 26, 2012 at 1:52 PM

True. And I have issues about that far beyond the scope of this board.

But how long has it been since baseball produced a cultural phenomenon? Where is our Tebow, our Lin, our Michael Phelps?

• natstowngreg - Mar 26, 2012 at 6:13 PM

To be honest, I’m just as happy that baseball doesn’t have a Tebow. Not the religion thing. Just the hyper-publicity for someone of such modest talents.

But it has been a while in baseball. Mark Fidrych, Fernando Valenzuela, Ken Griffrey, Jr., Ichiro Suzuki, who? Bryce Harper?

• sdelmonte - Mar 27, 2012 at 9:09 AM

Harper could be something huge. And with his personality, he’d be the anti-Tebow.

Imagine then if he hits it big, and then comes to the Bronx.

Better yet, let’s not imagine it. My teeth are already grinding at the thought.

3. phukyouk - Mar 26, 2012 at 11:43 AM

Saturday’s paper was reporting him as “possibly losing the foot” so.. yea… I think that folks went a bit overboard.

• kopy - Mar 26, 2012 at 2:15 PM

Misleading, but not false! Any of us with a foot could possibly lose it today. We could also possibly get struck by lightning. Sensationalism at its finest.

4. firstandonlywarning - Mar 26, 2012 at 11:43 AM

LOOK Craig!!!
    Before you accuse the New York media of sensationalism, you had better back it up with links to prove such a wild claim!

• sabatimus - Mar 26, 2012 at 12:47 PM

Pretty much what I said below. Craig’s basing this article on what is at this moment an unsubstantiated statement by BUSTER FREAKING OLNEY???? Makes me wonder WHO exactly here is looking for site hits.

5. sdelmonte - Mar 26, 2012 at 11:43 AM

Or maybe there was just a lot of rather understandable panic on the part of Joba and his family. Funny thing about blood is that a little seems to be a lot.

The bottom line is that he was taken care of, and now has to once again face both injury and the scrutiny of the press. Even if he had no business being on that trampoline, he’s really done very little else IMO to earn the brickbats thrown at him the past few years.

6. Jonny 5 - Mar 26, 2012 at 11:56 AM

His life would have surely been in jeopardy if Cashman was within striking distance.

7. coryfor3 - Mar 26, 2012 at 11:57 AM

Glad he’s okay. Death by trampoline would be embarrassing.

8. Old Gator - Mar 26, 2012 at 12:42 PM

I simply can’t believe that the New York papers would sensationalize a story like that simply to sell newspapers.

Can you?

Oooooohaaaahahahaahheeeeehahahahahahaahhooooooohahaahaha……

• natstowngreg - Mar 26, 2012 at 1:21 PM

See kids, this is a how you use sarcasm on a blog.

9. sabatimus - Mar 26, 2012 at 12:45 PM

1) This article is based on Buster Olney making a statement in his column, not anything Joba or his doctors have said themselves? First of all, Olney knows very little, so how is this a reasonable amount of support for an article like this? 2) Let’s just say Olney is correct–this reminds me of Max Pacioretty going to the movies a few days after Zdeno Chara supposedly “severely concussed” him by slamming him into the turnbuckle glass. So yes, sensationalism and trumping up a story as a means of self-serving.

10. pellypell - Mar 26, 2012 at 12:50 PM

Um, he almost died. My best friend’s sister’s boyfriend’s brother’s girlfriend heard from this guy who knows this kid who’s going with the girl who saw Joba almost bleed out at 31 Flavors last night. I guess it’s pretty serious.

11. buffalomafia - Mar 26, 2012 at 1:05 PM

Please cut him!

• kopy - Mar 26, 2012 at 2:16 PM

He already was cut. How much more blood do you want him to lose?

• Utley's Hair - Mar 26, 2012 at 2:25 PM

• mlblogspauly - Mar 26, 2012 at 2:46 PM

yes, please cut him. He is a loser and a delusional little kid in a man’s body

12. dman6015 - Mar 26, 2012 at 1:09 PM

Sensationalism by the New York City media??? Say it isn’t so, Joe. Say it isn’t so!

13. metalhead65 - Mar 26, 2012 at 1:16 PM

why shouldn’t have been on a trampoline? ok if he was doing it on his own maybe questionable he was playing with his son! sorry son daddy is not allowed to play because sports writers will think badly of me should I get injured. they are called accidents for a reason as I am pretty sure he did not plan on doing anything but having fun with his son. I hate the yankees but come on killing a guy for playing with his kid?

• Old Gator - Mar 26, 2012 at 3:34 PM

I think your head consists at least as much of ore-bearing strata as it does of metals per se. No, the angle is, sorry son, I shouldn’t be playing on this trampoline because people routinely get hurt on these things, I’m overweight as it is and as an athlete (of sorts, anyway) I have to depend on my body to earn the living I use to give you and mom a nice home and security for your lives.

14. psousa1 - Mar 26, 2012 at 2:12 PM

A figmund of the Yankee beat writers/Cheerleaders imagination (again)

15. Utley's Hair - Mar 26, 2012 at 2:23 PM

Let’s not lose sight of the big picture here, folks—Craig used that tidbit of “information” for the sole purposeof curtailing the number of Fat Toad jokes! Craig, you are a bad, bad, BAD man!!!

16. waxdaclam - Mar 26, 2012 at 4:41 PM

That’s “figment”… just to clarify…

• bbil2012 - Mar 26, 2012 at 7:16 PM