Mar 26, 2012, 10:30 AM EDT
Orel Hershiser isn’t involved in the bidding for the Dodgers, but he is campaigning for Dodger Stadium. As in, he wants to be sure it lasts for many more years, and to that end has commissioned an architectural rendering of what a renovated Dodger Stadium might look like:
(rendering by Brian Kite / Lynx Architecture)
- The deck in right field — along with the additional seats in left field where currently a bullpen sits — appears to increase the seating. Dodger Stadium currently holds 56,000 people. The highest average attendance the Dodgers have ever had in a season was in 2007 when they averaged 47,614 a game. Does the place really need new seats?
- The deck in right field is also rather horrifying. The Ballpark in Arlington called and said that if this was designed by anyone other than old Tiger Stadium, they’re stealing its bit. And that aside, the current zig-zaggy roof over the outfield seats is really cool, but this plan obliterates it. Same goes for the hexagonal scoreboard. Anyone interested in preserving Dodger Stadium has to preserve the cool stuff, man.
- Since when do the Dodgers feature a script-D logo like the one on that center field scoreboard?
- Since when do the Dodgers want to install a Yankee Stadium (or heck, Ballpark in Arlington)-style frieze? The Dodgers’ history is as rich as any team’s in the game. They don’t need to start appropriating stuff from other teams.
Look, maybe Dodger Stadium needs some work and modernization. But it doesn’t need a design overhaul. It was and still remains a fabulously designed park. Bringing it into the 21st century, cleaning it up and adding some conveniences should not require turning it into a frankenpark like this design.
Your heart is in the right place, Mr. Hershiser. But go back to the drawing board.
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 13
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 77
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 14
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 113
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 61
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras 76
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (116)
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (113)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (88)