Mar 26, 2012, 10:30 AM EDT
Orel Hershiser isn’t involved in the bidding for the Dodgers, but he is campaigning for Dodger Stadium. As in, he wants to be sure it lasts for many more years, and to that end has commissioned an architectural rendering of what a renovated Dodger Stadium might look like:
(rendering by Brian Kite / Lynx Architecture)
- The deck in right field — along with the additional seats in left field where currently a bullpen sits — appears to increase the seating. Dodger Stadium currently holds 56,000 people. The highest average attendance the Dodgers have ever had in a season was in 2007 when they averaged 47,614 a game. Does the place really need new seats?
- The deck in right field is also rather horrifying. The Ballpark in Arlington called and said that if this was designed by anyone other than old Tiger Stadium, they’re stealing its bit. And that aside, the current zig-zaggy roof over the outfield seats is really cool, but this plan obliterates it. Same goes for the hexagonal scoreboard. Anyone interested in preserving Dodger Stadium has to preserve the cool stuff, man.
- Since when do the Dodgers feature a script-D logo like the one on that center field scoreboard?
- Since when do the Dodgers want to install a Yankee Stadium (or heck, Ballpark in Arlington)-style frieze? The Dodgers’ history is as rich as any team’s in the game. They don’t need to start appropriating stuff from other teams.
Look, maybe Dodger Stadium needs some work and modernization. But it doesn’t need a design overhaul. It was and still remains a fabulously designed park. Bringing it into the 21st century, cleaning it up and adding some conveniences should not require turning it into a frankenpark like this design.
Your heart is in the right place, Mr. Hershiser. But go back to the drawing board.
- Felix Hernandez pounded as Mariners lose fourth straight 0
- Blue Jays manager John Gibbons will return in 2015 3
- HBT Daily: Why did Frank Wren get the axe? 2
- John Schuerholz defines “The Braves Way.” And it’s a pretty big pile of crap. 57
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 26
- Frank Wren fired as Braves GM, John Hart to take over on an interim basis 42
- AND DOWN THE STRETCH THEY COME! Sizing up the final week of the regular season 36
- Must-Click Link: Derek Jeter opens up. Seriously, he really does. 46
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (124)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (111)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Giants CEO Larry Baer thinks advertisements on uniforms are coming soon (89)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (87)