Mar 26, 2012, 10:30 AM EDT
Orel Hershiser isn’t involved in the bidding for the Dodgers, but he is campaigning for Dodger Stadium. As in, he wants to be sure it lasts for many more years, and to that end has commissioned an architectural rendering of what a renovated Dodger Stadium might look like:
(rendering by Brian Kite / Lynx Architecture)
- The deck in right field — along with the additional seats in left field where currently a bullpen sits — appears to increase the seating. Dodger Stadium currently holds 56,000 people. The highest average attendance the Dodgers have ever had in a season was in 2007 when they averaged 47,614 a game. Does the place really need new seats?
- The deck in right field is also rather horrifying. The Ballpark in Arlington called and said that if this was designed by anyone other than old Tiger Stadium, they’re stealing its bit. And that aside, the current zig-zaggy roof over the outfield seats is really cool, but this plan obliterates it. Same goes for the hexagonal scoreboard. Anyone interested in preserving Dodger Stadium has to preserve the cool stuff, man.
- Since when do the Dodgers feature a script-D logo like the one on that center field scoreboard?
- Since when do the Dodgers want to install a Yankee Stadium (or heck, Ballpark in Arlington)-style frieze? The Dodgers’ history is as rich as any team’s in the game. They don’t need to start appropriating stuff from other teams.
Look, maybe Dodger Stadium needs some work and modernization. But it doesn’t need a design overhaul. It was and still remains a fabulously designed park. Bringing it into the 21st century, cleaning it up and adding some conveniences should not require turning it into a frankenpark like this design.
Your heart is in the right place, Mr. Hershiser. But go back to the drawing board.
- Masahiro Tanaka diagnosed with partially-torn UCL in elbow 53
- Yadier Molina to miss 8-12 weeks with a torn thumb ligament 29
- Carlos Beltran placed on concussion disabled list after batting practice mishap 16
- Derek Jeter is the most popular MLB jersey this year 16
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 52
- The Rockies “aren’t looking around very hard” for a trade of star shortstop Troy Tulowitzki 29
- Jury finds the Dodgers partially negligent, awards $18 million to Bryan Stow 48
- Masahiro Tanaka injured: Yankees ace to undergo an MRI exam on his right arm 60
- Shocker: the Red Sox publicly criticize A.J. Pierzynski after cutting him (187)
- John Lackey on Nelson Cruz: “Not even going to comment … I’ve got nothing to say about him” (143)
- The 2014 All-Star rosters have been announced (103)
- Giants broadcaster says Angel Hernandez “does not belong in the big leagues” (101)
- David Ortiz is not pleased that his name got pulled into the John Lackey-Nelson Cruz thing (99)