Mar 26, 2012, 6:11 PM EST
The Orioles made it official on Monday, placing Brian Roberts on the 15-day disabled list with lingering concussion symptoms.
Roberts contends he making steady progress, but there is no timetable for his return. The former All-Star hasn’t played since last May.
“I told Buck [Showalter] the other day, ‘You don’t know how excited you’ve made me to know I don’t have to start down here and be isolated from everybody,’” Roberts told the Baltimore Sun. “That was part of the miserable aspect to it last year. Last year, it was very important for me to be down here and get away from the craziness. Now it’s important for me to get back in the craziness. I guess the good part it [is] that’s the difference in where I am in the recovery process.”
The Orioles also put Zach Britton, who might have been their Opening Day starter, on the DL with his shoulder injury. Veteran pitchers Dontrelle Willis, Brad Bergesen and Jason Berken and infielder Matt Antonelli were among their cuts.
- Tony Blengino says recent report on Seattle front office is “just the tip of the iceberg” 22
- Rakuten Golden Eagles appear likely to allow Masahiro Tanaka’s departure to MLB 44
- 2013 Winter Meetings Preview 21
- Matt Kemp remains “in play” for the Red Sox 56
- Robinson Cano “didn’t want to play” for Joe Girardi 106
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners (260)
- Yankees agree to seven-year, $153M contract with free agent outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury (160)
- Report: Mariners willing to offer Robinson Cano a 10-year, $240 million deal (143)
- Report: Yankees have agreed to a three-year deal with Carlos Beltran (125)
- Brett Gardner is drawing “significant” trade interest (111)