Mar 26, 2012, 6:11 PM EDT
The Orioles made it official on Monday, placing Brian Roberts on the 15-day disabled list with lingering concussion symptoms.
Roberts contends he making steady progress, but there is no timetable for his return. The former All-Star hasn’t played since last May.
“I told Buck [Showalter] the other day, ‘You don’t know how excited you’ve made me to know I don’t have to start down here and be isolated from everybody,'” Roberts told the Baltimore Sun. “That was part of the miserable aspect to it last year. Last year, it was very important for me to be down here and get away from the craziness. Now it’s important for me to get back in the craziness. I guess the good part it [is] that’s the difference in where I am in the recovery process.”
The Orioles also put Zach Britton, who might have been their Opening Day starter, on the DL with his shoulder injury. Veteran pitchers Dontrelle Willis, Brad Bergesen and Jason Berken and infielder Matt Antonelli were among their cuts.
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 3
- Vin Scully will return in 2016 for his 67th season of broadcasting 32
- The Athletics have a travel-heavy 2016 schedule and unsuccessfully tried to have it altered 9
- Mariners fire general manager Jack Zduriencik 71
- Pedro Martinez wonders if bad chemistry is the reason the Tigers and Mariners are out of contention 51
- Vote of non-confidence: Reds owner says manager Bryan Price won’t be fired before the season is over 23
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 86
- Denard Span headed back to DL with hip inflammation, unlikely to return this season 10
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (262)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (200)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (169)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (123)