Orioles place Brian Roberts, Zach Britton on disabled list

Mar 26, 2012, 6:11 PM EDT

Brian Roberts Reuters

The Orioles made it official on Monday, placing Brian Roberts on the 15-day disabled list with lingering concussion symptoms.

Roberts contends he making steady progress, but there is no timetable for his return. The former All-Star hasn’t played since last May.

The Orioles plan to have Roberts travel with the team initially.

“I told Buck [Showalter] the other day, ‘You don’t know how excited you’ve made me to know I don’t have to start down here and be isolated from everybody,'” Roberts told the Baltimore Sun. “That was part of the miserable aspect to it last year. Last year, it was very important for me to be down here and get away from the craziness. Now it’s important for me to get back in the craziness. I guess the good part it [is] that’s the difference in where I am in the recovery process.”

With Roberts out, the Orioles will go with Robert Andino at second base. Endy Chavez figures to get starts in the leadoff spot.

The Orioles also put Zach Britton, who might have been their Opening Day starter, on the DL with his shoulder injury. Veteran pitchers Dontrelle Willis, Brad Bergesen and Jason Berken and infielder Matt Antonelli were among their cuts.

1. randomdigits - Mar 26, 2012 at 6:30 PM

Last week Roberts managed to sit in the dugout and stand at the rail for a few innings during a spring training game. That is where he is at physically. No way he is back before a 60 day DL stint would be over.

2. khennigan - Mar 26, 2012 at 10:08 PM

This all from him hitting himself in the head with his bat. I like Roberts but it’s time for the O’s to move on and find an every day second baseman. Andino is better suited as a bench utility guy.

• borninfellspoint - Mar 27, 2012 at 8:42 AM

the O’s DO need a solid 2nd baseman,but Andino will do fine for now. as for Roberts, he will never be the same again and will continue to suck every last penny he can from the Orioles ala Albert Bell.

• rockthered1286 - Mar 27, 2012 at 9:47 AM

While I agree we need to find a replacement (wouldn’t it be nice to flip Hardy to second when the time comes to bring up Machado?) by no means do I think Roberts is “sucking every last penny out of the Orioles.” To me your implying that he is in control here and he’s saying ‘”coach I swear I’m on the road to recovery and I’ll be back soon,” when in reality he knows he’ll never make it back, therefore intentionally deceiving the organization so he keeps getting paid. I think this is simply a case in which we have no better options, Angelos won’t spend a dime, and they are optimistic he’ll return and produce better than Andino.

And come folks, this is a result of multiple injuries, not just his own bat to his head.

• borninfellspoint - Mar 29, 2012 at 9:04 PM

I hope I am wrong about B-rob,but yes that was my implication.

3. bmorelikeme - Mar 27, 2012 at 10:04 AM

As an O’s fan, I’ve basically made the assumption that Brob will never suit up in orange again. That way I can only be pleasantly surprised if he does and I won’t be disappointed if he doesn’t.

4. foreverchipper10 - Mar 27, 2012 at 1:29 PM

They cut Dontrelle? Didn’t they just sign him like 5 days ago? That worked out.

• bmorelikeme - Mar 27, 2012 at 4:16 PM

Signed him to a minor league deal and cut him from major league camp. He’ll pitch at AAA.

• foreverchipper10 - Mar 27, 2012 at 4:32 PM

Ah, ok. Thanks for the clarification.

Alex Gordon, MVP candidate