Mar 26, 2012, 11:19 AM EST
Pedro Alvarez hit .191 in 74 games for the Pirates last season, wasn’t much better in 35 games back at Triple-A, and has seen his struggles carry over this spring, but the Pirates aren’t giving up on the 25-year-old former No. 2 overall pick as their starting third baseman.
General manager Neal Huntington told Rob Biertempfel of the Pittsburgh Tribune Review that “the rumors of him starting at Triple-A have never come from the Pirates” and is not something the team is considering.
By trading for Casey McGehee the Pirates brought in a potential alternative to Alvarez at third base, although McGehee is coming off a tremendously disappointing season himself. Alvarez is a left-handed hitter and McGehee is a right-handed hitter, so Huntington did say that platooning them early in the season is an option for manager Clint Hurdle and from there it’s easy to see the playing time shift based on production.
Either way, Alvarez’s stock has plummeted since the Pirates picked him second overall and Baseball America twice ranked him as a top-15 prospect in 2009 and 2010, as the combination of strikeouts, poor defense, and injuries repeatedly set him back. Tremendous raw power is what’s keeping the Pirates invested.
- How Commissioner Rob Manfred Can Make Baseball More Appealing 31
- Blue Jays cut off talks for Orioles executive Dan Duquette 34
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts 116
- Yankees reject A-Rod’s apology attempt 46
- Joe Posnanski: Remembering ‘Mr. Cub,’ Ernie Banks 17
- What they’re saying about the passing of Cubs legend Ernie Banks 7
- Alex Rodriguez recently met with incoming MLB commissioner Rob Manfred 15
- Ernie Banks, one of baseball’s greatest players and greatest ambassadors has died at age 83 75
- Bud Selig: The Greatest Commissioner in the History of Baseball (144)
- Max Scherzer’s seven-year deal with Nationals worth $210 million (119)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (117)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)
- The 2015 Braves have “gravitas” and “veteran leadership” and will have dirty uniforms. Just kill me now. (76)