Mar 26, 2012, 9:36 AM EDT
Jacob Turner, the Tigers top pitching prospect entered spring training with a chance to become the fifth starter. A bout with shoulder tendinitis derailed that, however. Over the weekend Jim Leyland said that he still had a “slight chance” to win the fifth starter’s job, but that’s all over now, as the Tigers have optioned Turner to Toledo.
Sad for folks who get super duper excited about young pitching prospects (I’m kinda one, I’ll admit), but this is a good mood. Dude is 20. He looked great in double-A and triple-A last year, posting a 3.44 ERA and a 110/35 K/BB ratio in 131 innings. He was blown up in a late season callup to Detroit, however, and it would probably do him well to kick of the year with success than with a shellacking or two that me might expect as he gets his MLB legs.
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced 54
- That time Manny Ramirez nearly became a Met 5
- Phillies acquire No. 1 international signing slot for 2015-2016 from the Diamondbacks 16
- Orioles activate Jonathan Schoop after 10-week absence 8
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 38
- Video: Kris Bryant hits a grand slam as part of a two-homer, six-RBI night 8
- Stephen Strasburg exits start with tightness in left side 10
- In the wake of the Miguel Cabrera injury the Tigers have few good options 20
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (90)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- Brian Dozier is the best second baseman in baseball (72)