Mar 26, 2012, 9:36 AM EDT
Jacob Turner, the Tigers top pitching prospect entered spring training with a chance to become the fifth starter. A bout with shoulder tendinitis derailed that, however. Over the weekend Jim Leyland said that he still had a “slight chance” to win the fifth starter’s job, but that’s all over now, as the Tigers have optioned Turner to Toledo.
Sad for folks who get super duper excited about young pitching prospects (I’m kinda one, I’ll admit), but this is a good mood. Dude is 20. He looked great in double-A and triple-A last year, posting a 3.44 ERA and a 110/35 K/BB ratio in 131 innings. He was blown up in a late season callup to Detroit, however, and it would probably do him well to kick of the year with success than with a shellacking or two that me might expect as he gets his MLB legs.
- At least Hunter Strickland entertained us last night 0
- Royals even up World Series with 7-2 Game 2 victory 22
- Craig Kimbrel wins Trevor Hoffman Award; Greg Holland gets Mariano Rivera Award 5
- World Series, Game 2: Giants vs. Royals lineups 9
- HBT Daily: Are the Royals doomed, doomed, doomed? 11
- Giants inhaling the air of superiority after Game 1 7
- What’s in a name? “Big Game” James did not come up big for Kansas City 23
- World Series Reset: The Royals look to pick themselves up off the mat 8
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? (129)
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (121)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (112)
- PANTY RAID! Homeland Security agents confiscate unlicensed Kansas City Royals underwear (95)
- “The Kansas City Royals Are the Future of Baseball” — someone actually said that. (93)