Mar 26, 2012, 9:36 AM EDT
Jacob Turner, the Tigers top pitching prospect entered spring training with a chance to become the fifth starter. A bout with shoulder tendinitis derailed that, however. Over the weekend Jim Leyland said that he still had a “slight chance” to win the fifth starter’s job, but that’s all over now, as the Tigers have optioned Turner to Toledo.
Sad for folks who get super duper excited about young pitching prospects (I’m kinda one, I’ll admit), but this is a good mood. Dude is 20. He looked great in double-A and triple-A last year, posting a 3.44 ERA and a 110/35 K/BB ratio in 131 innings. He was blown up in a late season callup to Detroit, however, and it would probably do him well to kick of the year with success than with a shellacking or two that me might expect as he gets his MLB legs.
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 69
- 2015 Preview: Arizona Diamondbacks 8
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 69
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 25
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 88
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)
- The MLBPA releases a statement on Kris Bryant, mentions possible litigation (87)