Mar 26, 2012, 6:42 PM EDT
Still looking for a job in late March, Vladimir Guerrero worked out for Indians scouts at the club’s academy in the Dominican Republic, sources told Enrique Rojas of ESPN Deportes.
The source said “there seems to be a genuine interest by the Indians.”
Of course, Cleveland is already locked into a pure DH in Travis Hafner, so Guerrero would only make sense for the club if he could play left field on at least a part-time basis. The Indians have a need there with Grady Sizemore out and Michael Brantley likely shifting to center.
Guerrero hit .290/.317/.416 with 13 homers and 63 RBI in 562 at-bats for the Orioles last season. There’s been speculation that he’ll give Japan a try if no major league offers come soon.
- 2015 MLB Trade Deadline Tracker 2
- The extraordinarily odd, 13-player Dodgers-Marlins-Braves trade is done 55
- Breaking: The Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers 99
- Both the Phillies and the Rangers did well in the Cole Hamels trade 70
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies 106
- Mets, Brewers call off reported Carlos Gomez trade 78
- Dodgers, Marlins, Braves trade involving Mat Latos “simply being held up by paperwork” 76
- The Tigers are going to “reboot;” plan to trade Price and Cespedes 74
- The MLBPA is considering withholding cooperation with ESPN, Fox over Colin Cowherd’s comments (157)
- The Cubs are in discussions with the Phillies on Cole Hamels (146)
- Colin Cowherd wonders how baseball can be considered “complicated” if Dominicans can understand it (129)
- Major League Baseball rips Colin Cowherd in an official statement (123)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)