Mar 26, 2012, 6:42 PM EDT
Still looking for a job in late March, Vladimir Guerrero worked out for Indians scouts at the club’s academy in the Dominican Republic, sources told Enrique Rojas of ESPN Deportes.
The source said “there seems to be a genuine interest by the Indians.”
Of course, Cleveland is already locked into a pure DH in Travis Hafner, so Guerrero would only make sense for the club if he could play left field on at least a part-time basis. The Indians have a need there with Grady Sizemore out and Michael Brantley likely shifting to center.
Guerrero hit .290/.317/.416 with 13 homers and 63 RBI in 562 at-bats for the Orioles last season. There’s been speculation that he’ll give Japan a try if no major league offers come soon.
- Mike Trout hits for cycle in Angels’ rout of Mariners 5
- Kevin Gausman will make Orioles debut on Thursday 4
- Cubs activate Matt Garza for first start in 10 months 0
- Thanks to Jeff Loria, Miami gets shut out of the Super Bowl 21
- MLB is putting players in camouflage uniforms on Memorial Day. Which is kinda weird. 116
- MLB is putting players in camouflage uniforms on Memorial Day. Which is kinda weird. (116)
- Barry Bonds: Miguel Cabrera is the best … but not as good as me (104)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (92)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (81)
- Albert Pujols doesn’t matter anymore (73)
- Sharks pull even with Kings
- PBT: Cavs win NBA draft lottery, will pick No. 1
- PBT: Nick Gilbert again Cavs' good luck charm
- PBT: Grizzlies figuring out Spurs after Game 2
- PBT: Spurs survive Grizzlies' late run, win in OT
- PHT: Bruins rally in third, put Rangers in 3-0 hole
- PFT: Jim Harbaugh to drive Indy 500 pace car