Mar 26, 2012, 6:42 PM EDT
Still looking for a job in late March, Vladimir Guerrero worked out for Indians scouts at the club’s academy in the Dominican Republic, sources told Enrique Rojas of ESPN Deportes.
The source said “there seems to be a genuine interest by the Indians.”
Of course, Cleveland is already locked into a pure DH in Travis Hafner, so Guerrero would only make sense for the club if he could play left field on at least a part-time basis. The Indians have a need there with Grady Sizemore out and Michael Brantley likely shifting to center.
Guerrero hit .290/.317/.416 with 13 homers and 63 RBI in 562 at-bats for the Orioles last season. There’s been speculation that he’ll give Japan a try if no major league offers come soon.
- Today is the Sox’ annual Patriot’s Day game. It’s more significant now than ever. 11
- Boswell: “Harper may be the Nats’ seventh-best player” 52
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 71
- Boston Marathon heroes remembered with pregame ceremony at Fenway Park 10
- Benches clear in Pittsburgh after the Brewers’ Carlos Gomez bat flips a third-inning triple 179
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (249)
- Benches clear in Pittsburgh after the Brewers’ Carlos Gomez bat flips a third-inning triple (179)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (167)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (127)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (113)