Mar 26, 2012, 6:42 PM EDT
Still looking for a job in late March, Vladimir Guerrero worked out for Indians scouts at the club’s academy in the Dominican Republic, sources told Enrique Rojas of ESPN Deportes.
The source said “there seems to be a genuine interest by the Indians.”
Of course, Cleveland is already locked into a pure DH in Travis Hafner, so Guerrero would only make sense for the club if he could play left field on at least a part-time basis. The Indians have a need there with Grady Sizemore out and Michael Brantley likely shifting to center.
Guerrero hit .290/.317/.416 with 13 homers and 63 RBI in 562 at-bats for the Orioles last season. There’s been speculation that he’ll give Japan a try if no major league offers come soon.
- Alex Rodriguez hits 659th career home run, now one shy of tying Willie Mays 15
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal 238
- Max Scherzer doubtful for next start due to thumb injury 3
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards 141
- It sure sounds like Adam Wainwright suffered a torn Achilles tendon on Saturday night 40
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 33
- Report: Rangers will pay Josh Hamilton less than $7 million; deal includes opt-out after two years 98
- Suspensions announced for Thursday’s brawl between the White Sox and Royals 78
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal (246)
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (155)
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards (147)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)