All of the uniform changes for the year in one handy dandy location

Mar 27, 2012, 2:03 PM EDT

Jays uniform 2

It’s Uni Watch, of course, where Paul Lukas does God’s work. At least the part of His work dealing with baseball uniforms.

Lukas details all of the changes for the upcoming season, ranging from the lowly little patches and changes in letter shadowing to the full-blown reimaginations like what happened in Florida.

The most on point part: his displeasure at how the Padres are stuck in between the past and the future, doing violence to both. ┬áBring back some brown, San Diego. You don’t have to look like the 1970s to do it. No one does brown. You could OWN IT again.

1. 1943mrmojorisin1971 - Mar 27, 2012 at 2:14 PM

Seeing the new (old?) Jays jerseys makes me so happy every time. Can’t believe it took them so long to figure out that is far and away their best look.

• cur68 - Mar 27, 2012 at 2:21 PM

Totally, unequivocally, agree.

• 1943mrmojorisin1971 - Mar 27, 2012 at 2:37 PM

I don’t know how anybody couldn’t. They’re awesome. The best rating I can give to any of the other ones is ‘not terrible’ and only a couple make the cut.

2. kiwicricket - Mar 27, 2012 at 2:44 PM

Many sports around the globe have turned to tighter fitting uniforms. Broader ranging appeal, modern statement etc is the usual explanation. Soccer, Rugby even Cricket have fitted uniforms made of alternate materials now days.
    Great stories about Australian Rules football changing to their now famous teeny shorts back in the 70s/80′s. Revolutionary marketing by the individuals involved. Transformed the viewing audience overnight. Thousands of women started turning up to otherwise male dominated games. Very interesting stuff.

Not saying it’s good or bad, but you have to wonder when someone is going to go out on a limb and re-brand the entire image of a baseball uniform. Wouldn’t be too hard. Gaining acceptance however…
    There would be players would would look rather fetching, to a certain audience…others only in their mothers eyes. All would be pretty interesting and amusing.

• cur68 - Mar 27, 2012 at 2:54 PM

Kiwi….you been in the sun a lot today? Oh, and thanks for reminding me of the AFL’s infamous stubbies. Brrrr…

• kiwicricket - Mar 27, 2012 at 3:05 PM

37deg(Celsius) no shade, then spent the afternoon tasting fermenting red wine. I checked out a few hours ago.

Kind of wondering where the origins of baseball uniforms come from though. Pretty strange looking when you think about them.

• kiwicricket - Mar 27, 2012 at 3:08 PM

Stubbies… aka ‘Budgie smugglers’ are awesome.
        Antipodean summer uniform.

• cur68 - Mar 27, 2012 at 3:10 PM

Why does your life sound better than mine by a factor too high to calculate?

• foreverchipper10 - Mar 27, 2012 at 5:41 PM

I had a budgie but it died. I like piiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiieeeeeeeeeeee!

• cur68 - Mar 27, 2012 at 5:46 PM

Heathen. Cake or bust, man. Cake or bust.

• foreverchipper10 - Mar 28, 2012 at 9:58 AM

Aw Cur, not a fan of Flight of the Choncords I take it.

Also, I did actually eat some pie yesterday. Cherry to be precise.

3. papasadappa - Mar 27, 2012 at 2:45 PM

I love that both the Mets and the Jay’s are dropping the black in their uniforms. The blue on white (or in the Mets case blue and orange on white) looks so sharp. I was really hoping the brewers would go back to their old cap logo. That glove and ball is so much cooler than the M with barley below it. .

• forsch31 - Mar 28, 2012 at 2:08 PM

Seconded on the Brewers’ old logo. Heck, bring back the Harvey’s Wallbangers pinstrips for the home jersey. That will always be the Brewer’s to me.

4. kiwicricket - Mar 27, 2012 at 2:48 PM

Is Loria now playing midgets because they are cheaper? Or is Josh Johnson utterly enormous?

• cur68 - Mar 27, 2012 at 3:01 PM

The Latter. B-Ref’s:
      Josh Johnson = 6’7″ & 250 Lbs. I’m glad I don’t have to buy his groceries.

Three legends off to Cooperstown