Mar 27, 2012, 1:33 PM EDT
There’s more than a week of games left in the Cactus and Grapefruit leagues, but that’s not stopping the A’s and the Mariners from kicking off the regular season tomorrow. Yup, early, early tomorrow morning — at least on U.S. time — Seattle and Oakland will play a game that counts in the standings and the stat leaderboards. And a second one on Thursday. They’re in Tokyo, of course.
Personally, I don’t mind that the season is starting in Tokyo. A ballpark is a ballpark and even if it’s not in this country, it’s still baseballs thrown in real anger. I do take issue, however, with it starting while there are still tons of meaningless spring training games to be played. It’s just … disorienting.
Opening Day should mark the unequivocal beginning of something. A loud shout that baseball is here and all is, once again, right with the world. It shouldn’t feel like a soft opening at some new restaurant. And that’s kind of how I feel about the A’-s Mariners series.
Yes, I’ll pay attention. And I’ll even write up a couple of And That Happeneds for the games seeing as though they actually count. But don’t expect me to gt all Opening Day-y about it, because it doesn’t feel quite right.
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced 54
- That time Manny Ramirez nearly became a Met 5
- Phillies acquire No. 1 international signing slot for 2015-2016 from the Diamondbacks 16
- Orioles activate Jonathan Schoop after 10-week absence 8
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 38
- Video: Kris Bryant hits a grand slam as part of a two-homer, six-RBI night 8
- Stephen Strasburg exits start with tightness in left side 10
- In the wake of the Miguel Cabrera injury the Tigers have few good options 20
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (90)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- Brian Dozier is the best second baseman in baseball (72)