Mar 27, 2012, 1:33 PM EDT
There’s more than a week of games left in the Cactus and Grapefruit leagues, but that’s not stopping the A’s and the Mariners from kicking off the regular season tomorrow. Yup, early, early tomorrow morning — at least on U.S. time — Seattle and Oakland will play a game that counts in the standings and the stat leaderboards. And a second one on Thursday. They’re in Tokyo, of course.
Personally, I don’t mind that the season is starting in Tokyo. A ballpark is a ballpark and even if it’s not in this country, it’s still baseballs thrown in real anger. I do take issue, however, with it starting while there are still tons of meaningless spring training games to be played. It’s just … disorienting.
Opening Day should mark the unequivocal beginning of something. A loud shout that baseball is here and all is, once again, right with the world. It shouldn’t feel like a soft opening at some new restaurant. And that’s kind of how I feel about the A’-s Mariners series.
Yes, I’ll pay attention. And I’ll even write up a couple of And That Happeneds for the games seeing as though they actually count. But don’t expect me to gt all Opening Day-y about it, because it doesn’t feel quite right.
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned 2
- VIDEO: Derek Jeter hits first home run at Yankee Stadium this season 4
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife 83
- No, baseball does not need to “announce a domestic violence policy ASAP” 51
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 48
- Video: Rusney Castillo notches his first major league hit 7
- Michael Wacha cleared to return Saturday vs. Reds 2
- Marlins officially shut down Giancarlo Stanton for the season 6
- Chris Davis suspended 25 games for amphetamine use (92)
- Giancarlo Stanton diagnosed with multiple facial fractures and dental damage (91)
- Bud Selig can’t remember the last domestic violence incident in Major League Baseball (90)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (86)
- A couple of initial thoughts on the Chris Davis suspension (83)