Believe it or not, the regular season starts tomorrow

Mar 27, 2012, 1:33 PM EST

Oakland Athletics pitcher Brandon McCart

There’s more than a week of games left in the Cactus and Grapefruit leagues, but that’s not stopping the A’s and the Mariners from kicking off the regular season tomorrow. Yup, early, early tomorrow morning — at least on U.S. time — Seattle and Oakland will play a game that counts in the standings and the stat leaderboards. And a second one on Thursday. They’re in Tokyo, of course.

Personally, I don’t mind that the season is starting in Tokyo.  A ballpark is a ballpark and even if it’s not in this country, it’s still baseballs thrown in real anger.  I do take issue, however, with it starting while there are still tons of meaningless spring training games to be played. It’s just … disorienting.

Opening Day should mark the unequivocal beginning of something. A loud shout that baseball is here and all is, once again, right with the world.  It shouldn’t feel like a soft opening at some new restaurant. And that’s kind of how I feel about the A’-s Mariners series.

Yes, I’ll pay attention. And I’ll even write up a couple of And That Happeneds for the games seeing as though they actually count.  But don’t expect me to gt all Opening Day-y about it, because it doesn’t feel quite right.

1. phukyouk - Mar 27, 2012 at 1:38 PM

“And I’ll even write up a couple of And That Happens”

I read this and stopped reading anything else. this is all that matters… typo and all. THANK YOU!

• Old Gator - Mar 27, 2012 at 1:51 PM

Yep. I’ve been listening to Feesh games on the radio for the last week and a half, fill-ins, underripened rookies and non-roster invitees who are going to be looking for work in a few more days but they’ve been playing baseball on the radio.

But a few more days, I get to buck the traffic in Little Havana and try out Scrooge McLoria’s odd-looking monument to himself. Maybe Tommy will be activated. Maybe JJ’s shoulder will hold together. Maybe the Iron Giant will be up and ready to go. Maybe all the Hanster’s pegs will actually land in Gabby’s glove. Maybe Tweeter will actually hit with RISP.

Maybe the roof will stay open.

But baseball season will have begun, which also signals, down here at least, the official end of mating season for our giant toads. The males will shut up. And I can get some sleep.

• scatterbrian - Mar 27, 2012 at 2:27 PM

The posts are called And That Happened. More than one = And That Happeneds. No typo, just an awesomely made-up word.

• Craig Calcaterra - Mar 27, 2012 at 2:29 PM

No, it was a typo. I originally typed “And that Happens” then I went back and fixed it after seeing Phuk’s comment.

Sorry, Phuk, but that’s how it’s gotta be. When you all see typos I fix ‘em. :-)

• phukyouk - Mar 27, 2012 at 2:41 PM

nah… its all good… you get those ATH’s going and im set.

• El Bravo - Mar 27, 2012 at 3:03 PM

“sorry, Phuk” …now that is funny

• cur68 - Mar 27, 2012 at 3:33 PM

Craig, dude, you typed “Phuk” like twice on your own blog…heh, heh, heh…you typed “phuk”…heh heh heh…

• umrguy42 - Mar 27, 2012 at 3:40 PM

“When you all see typos I fix ‘em.”

In that case Craig, you have “gt” instead of “get” in the last sentence :D

• cur68 - Mar 27, 2012 at 3:43 PM

…and have a look at the 2nd sentence on your “Previewing the NL West” post.

2. El Bravo - Mar 27, 2012 at 1:46 PM

Wait, I won’t even have a fantasy team yet! I better get Felix’s pts retroactively or I quit my league immediately…

3. cur68 - Mar 27, 2012 at 2:02 PM

Real baseball? Really? After a disappointing search on my cable provider’s menu for the small hours of the AM I am tragically unable to locate the game. I shall therefore be reliant on HBT’s inaugural ATH summary for 2012. Regardless of which, I am thrilled to the point of polysyllabism at this news. ボールをプレイ!

• unknowneric - Mar 27, 2012 at 2:26 PM

I think MLB Network is showing it on tape delay.

• phillyphreak - Mar 27, 2012 at 3:29 PM

Yea for some reason this really sticks in my craw and is making me irrationally angry. I don’t understand how the opening game can’t be on national TV and/or not on a tape delay. I guess I’m more peeved that I don’t even get MLB network to see it delayed.

4. unknowneric - Mar 27, 2012 at 2:12 PM

It counts in the standings, but does it count in our hearts, Craig?

Or more importantly, does it count to anybody not in Seattle or Oakland?

Or even more importantly, does it even count to anybody in Oakland?

I’m Andy Rooney, this has been 60 Minutes.

• El Bravo - Mar 27, 2012 at 2:16 PM

Typical eastern orient bias.

• unknowneric - Mar 27, 2012 at 2:25 PM

If the pun was intentional, then bravo, my fine sir.

5. sdelmonte - Mar 27, 2012 at 2:18 PM

MLB Radio, here I come!

6. Baseball Beer Burritos In That Order - Mar 27, 2012 at 2:43 PM

It’s baseball. I’ll take it.

Side note: who else requested off work for next Thursday so they can drink all day and watch all the home teams except the Indians win?

• sportsdrenched.com - Mar 27, 2012 at 2:56 PM

I have in the past done this. Golf in the morning, baseball for the duration. But sadly, not this year.

• Baseball Beer Burritos In That Order - Mar 27, 2012 at 3:01 PM

Wow, that sounds amazing. If I didn’t live in one of the worst places to golf (I live in the Pacific Northwest, it never stops raining if you hadn’t heard) I would definitely reconsider my morning plans of “cook bacon and recite prayers to the baseball gods while I watch youtube clips of Ken Griffey Jr.’s mechanics”.

• sportsdrenched.com - Mar 27, 2012 at 3:45 PM

One year it was too windy & cold to golf, fish, or do anything else outside so I played MLB The Show until it was time to head to the sports bar.

• phukyouk - Mar 27, 2012 at 3:27 PM

I’m “working from home” next friday to watch my Yanks

7. kiwicricket - Mar 27, 2012 at 3:17 PM

“Yellow and Blue for Dustin”
    …please don’t forget the link for the reasoning behind ATH.

8. antlerclaws - Mar 27, 2012 at 4:03 PM

Seattle or Oakland gets to be the first place team in Major League Baseball for a few days.

9. foreverchipper10 - Mar 27, 2012 at 5:35 PM

Is this game going to be televised? Maybe I can watch some of it while I get ready for work in the morning. Maybe. It might be over by then.

Cubs shore up rotation with Jon Lester
  1. W. Myers (5792)
  2. M. Kemp (3243)
  3. J. Kang (3179)
  4. C. McGehee (3073)
  5. W. Middlebrooks (3048)
  1. J. Upton (2978)