Mar 27, 2012, 12:30 PM EDT
Remember the two Indian javelin throwers signed by the Pirates after they won that baseball reality show? One of them, Rinku Singh, is still in the Pirates’ organization. The other, Dinesh Patel, was released in late 2010.
There’s a story in the Indian Express today catching up with Patel. He’ s back home in India. He built a house for his family. Paid for his sister’s wedding. Hopes to begin throwing the javelin again and would like a government job. It’s a neat read if for no other reason than it hints at how different the standard of living is in India than here. People don’t think about that stuff too much.
Meanwhile, Singh pitched in 20 games across four — four! — divisions of minor league ball last season, all low-level. I’m guessing calling him a “project” is a bit of an understatement.
- Blue Jays fan throws beer at Nate McLouth (124)
- MLB is putting players in camouflage uniforms on Memorial Day. Which is kinda weird. (118)
- Barry Bonds: Miguel Cabrera is the best … but not as good as me (117)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (112)
- Las Vegas police investigating Jose Canseco as a suspect in sexual assault case (82)
- Blackhawks stave off elimination
- Video: Highlights: Blackhawks top Red Wings 4-1
- PST: Bayern Munich beats Dortmund, wins Champions League
- PHT: Bruins bounce Rangers, advance to Conf. finals
- PBT: Pacers' Hill: Only God scarier than LeBron
- Hundreds run Boston Marathon's final mile
- MST Monaco GP predictions: Mercedes' time?