Mar 27, 2012, 12:30 PM EDT
Remember the two Indian javelin throwers signed by the Pirates after they won that baseball reality show? One of them, Rinku Singh, is still in the Pirates’ organization. The other, Dinesh Patel, was released in late 2010.
There’s a story in the Indian Express today catching up with Patel. He’ s back home in India. He built a house for his family. Paid for his sister’s wedding. Hopes to begin throwing the javelin again and would like a government job. It’s a neat read if for no other reason than it hints at how different the standard of living is in India than here. People don’t think about that stuff too much.
Meanwhile, Singh pitched in 20 games across four — four! — divisions of minor league ball last season, all low-level. I’m guessing calling him a “project” is a bit of an understatement.
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (241)
- The Red Sox are still steamed that a PED guy played against them in the playoffs last year (130)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (109)
- Must-Click Link: Yasiel Puig’s harrowing journey to the United States (95)