Mar 27, 2012, 12:30 PM EDT
Remember the two Indian javelin throwers signed by the Pirates after they won that baseball reality show? One of them, Rinku Singh, is still in the Pirates’ organization. The other, Dinesh Patel, was released in late 2010.
There’s a story in the Indian Express today catching up with Patel. He’ s back home in India. He built a house for his family. Paid for his sister’s wedding. Hopes to begin throwing the javelin again and would like a government job. It’s a neat read if for no other reason than it hints at how different the standard of living is in India than here. People don’t think about that stuff too much.
Meanwhile, Singh pitched in 20 games across four — four! — divisions of minor league ball last season, all low-level. I’m guessing calling him a “project” is a bit of an understatement.
- Kris Medlen leaves game with right forearm strain 16
- Cardinals sign Cuban middle infielder Aledmys Diaz to a four-year major league contract 48
- Cardinals and Matt Carpenter agree to a six-year, $52 million extension 10
- Jet Blue Park is absolutely incredible 59
- Gary Nolan one of many careers saved by Dr. Frank Jobe 17