Catching up with Dinesh Patel

Mar 27, 2012, 12:30 PM EDT

Dinesh Patel

Remember the two Indian javelin throwers signed by the Pirates after they won that baseball reality show? One of them, Rinku Singh, is still in the Pirates’ organization. The other, Dinesh Patel, was released in late 2010.

There’s a story in the Indian Express today catching up with Patel.  He’ s back home in India. He built a house for his family. Paid for his sister’s wedding. Hopes to begin throwing the javelin again and would like a government job. It’s a neat read if for no other reason than it hints at how different the standard of living is in India than here. People don’t think about that stuff too much.

Meanwhile, Singh pitched in 20 games across four — four! — divisions of minor league ball last season, all low-level. I’m guessing calling him a “project” is a bit of an understatement.

1. mybrunoblog - Mar 27, 2012 at 12:40 PM

The “Indian Express” would be a cool nickname

2. El Bravo - Mar 27, 2012 at 12:41 PM

Dinesh sounds like a really good strain of marijuana….like, “hey man, pass those dinesh nuggets son, that shit hits straight to the dome top”

• cup0pizza - Mar 27, 2012 at 12:42 PM

Nice profanity and drug reference.

• vivabear - Mar 27, 2012 at 12:54 PM

“Nice…drug reference.”

I wouldn’t say nice, so much as annoying – and not funny.

• El Bravo - Mar 27, 2012 at 12:56 PM

Meh, the drug reference is marginal, just like marijuana being considered a drug…marginal at best. But, yeah, you’re welcome.

• koufaxmitzvah - Mar 27, 2012 at 2:04 PM

I wonder if G-d knows that marijuana is a drug? Seeing as how it’s a plant and all.

• cur68 - Mar 27, 2012 at 1:00 PM

My mother’ grandfather, who’s last name was Singh and was a farmer, regularly partook of the demon weed, of which he grew his own. He would doubtless be proud to know that his skill as a horticulturalist was being appreciated to this very day. In fact, some of my extant relatives, his great grandchildren, are well known for having kept up the tradition in South America and are bulk exporters of same. Needless to say, we don’t have much contact, but I’ll suggest the name “Dinesh” next time I have the misfortune to cross paths with some of them. Our family gatherings can be not unlike summit conferences in The Godfather, just minus the great food and good suits.

• El Bravo - Mar 27, 2012 at 1:30 PM

No offense to your distant relatives, but I’d love them to be out of business of pushing that demon weed north, once we federally legalize it…I mean, even Pat Fucking Robertson believes in legalization. The tides are turning.

yes, that’s his actual middle name.

• cur68 - Mar 27, 2012 at 1:51 PM

Trust me, my distant relatives are immune to offense. They create much more offense than they are the recipients, anyways, so they can take it.

One of these days weed will be legalized. When that happens you’ll see all sorts of people turning to it. Wonderful stuff for glaucoma, night blindness, anxiety (in most people), and so on. I have a colleague who’s dosing pregnant rats with the stuff to see if he can detect any change in their offspring. The medical community holds its collective breath for THAT one.

• El Bravo - Mar 27, 2012 at 2:00 PM

“Baby Stoned Rat” just so happens a very good band name.

• El Bravo - Mar 27, 2012 at 2:02 PM

*…happens [to be] a…

• koufaxmitzvah - Mar 27, 2012 at 2:46 PM

Another band name: Almighty Drug Kingpin

• koufaxmitzvah - Mar 27, 2012 at 4:59 PM

You’re right. Too many syllables.

Almighty Drug Lord

Less is more, after all.

3. 1943mrmojorisin1971 - Mar 27, 2012 at 12:51 PM

Cool story. I like that he’s teaching the game to schoolchildren in India.

4. deathmonkey41 - Mar 27, 2012 at 1:58 PM

If you told me that was Tiger Woods in that picture, I would have believed you.

• El Bravo - Mar 27, 2012 at 2:03 PM

really? ill leave you alone on that one, but i just don’t see the resemblance. plus how do you know what Tiger even looks like when he’s got some trashy blonde on his jock all the time blocking your view?

Pitching duel highlights Game 1 of WS