Mar 27, 2012, 11:33 AM EDT
Remember the Giants former payroll secretary who was arrested for embezzlement? And who was caught, not because of someone’s shrewd eye, but because she forged letters explaining why she was getting all of those extra pay checks, thereby creating her own red flags? Yeah, that was awesome.
Robin O’Connor, of American Canyon, was fired by the team last July after it was discovered she had been transferring team funds to her personal bank accounts over the prior year. Prosecutors said she used some of the money to pay off debts, but also toward a second home in San Diego, spa visits, pet grooming, home improvements and travel.
She stole $2.2 million and has returned roughly $1.6 million of it. Which shows just how responsible she was, given that she was probably saving that money for retirement and thus had it ready to return. Much better than spending the whole shebang on pet grooming. $600,000 for that kind of thing is plenty.
In other news, Barry Bonds remains the worst criminal in the history of San Francisco sports.
- Bryce Harper is naked in ESPN’s “Body Issue” 32
- Today is the day: Marlins ace Jose Fernandez returns from Tommy John surgery 4
- A-Rod, the Yankees and the union in talks to direct his $6 million home run bonus to charity 20
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 47
- Video: Joey Butler breaks up Carlos Carrasco’s no-hitter with two outs in the ninth inning 12
- Bill Stoneman taking over as Angels’ interim GM 15
- Jerry Dipoto loses power struggle with Mike Scioscia, steps down as Angels general manager 39
- Bobby Bonilla’s isn’t the only deferred money deal in the game. And isn’t even the worst. 50
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (276)
- Joe Maddon is the latest manager to rip instant replay. He’s got a point. (110)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (75)