Mar 27, 2012, 11:33 AM EDT
Remember the Giants former payroll secretary who was arrested for embezzlement? And who was caught, not because of someone’s shrewd eye, but because she forged letters explaining why she was getting all of those extra pay checks, thereby creating her own red flags? Yeah, that was awesome.
Robin O’Connor, of American Canyon, was fired by the team last July after it was discovered she had been transferring team funds to her personal bank accounts over the prior year. Prosecutors said she used some of the money to pay off debts, but also toward a second home in San Diego, spa visits, pet grooming, home improvements and travel.
She stole $2.2 million and has returned roughly $1.6 million of it. Which shows just how responsible she was, given that she was probably saving that money for retirement and thus had it ready to return. Much better than spending the whole shebang on pet grooming. $600,000 for that kind of thing is plenty.
In other news, Barry Bonds remains the worst criminal in the history of San Francisco sports.
- Must-click link: surviving spring training on $0 a day 17
- Your Official HardballTalk World Series Preview 17
- World Series Reset: Game 1 — finally! — is tonight 15
- HBT Daily: How the Royals and Giants were built 4
- Two radio stations in San Francisco are refusing to play Lorde’s “Royals” during the World Series 40
- Royals tab James Shields, Yordano Ventura to start first two games of World Series 1
- Brian Roberts is retiring 13
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? 119
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? (119)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (107)
- “The Kansas City Royals Are the Future of Baseball” — someone actually said that. (93)
- Andrew Friedman leaving the Rays to take over as Dodgers President of Baseball Operations (83)
- Quit making a big deal out of anomalies. Most of what happens is meaningless. (82)