Mar 27, 2012, 11:33 AM EDT
Remember the Giants former payroll secretary who was arrested for embezzlement? And who was caught, not because of someone’s shrewd eye, but because she forged letters explaining why she was getting all of those extra pay checks, thereby creating her own red flags? Yeah, that was awesome.
Robin O’Connor, of American Canyon, was fired by the team last July after it was discovered she had been transferring team funds to her personal bank accounts over the prior year. Prosecutors said she used some of the money to pay off debts, but also toward a second home in San Diego, spa visits, pet grooming, home improvements and travel.
She stole $2.2 million and has returned roughly $1.6 million of it. Which shows just how responsible she was, given that she was probably saving that money for retirement and thus had it ready to return. Much better than spending the whole shebang on pet grooming. $600,000 for that kind of thing is plenty.
In other news, Barry Bonds remains the worst criminal in the history of San Francisco sports.
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 88
- Jose Reyes is on track to be activated Friday 10
- Dustin Pedroia given cortisone injection for sore left wrist, aiming to return Wednesday 1
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists 229
- John Farrell to get fined for being critical of instant replay 53
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (229)
- The Red Sox are still steamed that a PED guy played against them in the playoffs last year (129)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- We don’t need to celebrate Barry Bonds, but we should avoid whitewashing baseball history (122)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (104)