Mar 27, 2012, 11:33 AM EDT
Remember the Giants former payroll secretary who was arrested for embezzlement? And who was caught, not because of someone’s shrewd eye, but because she forged letters explaining why she was getting all of those extra pay checks, thereby creating her own red flags? Yeah, that was awesome.
Robin O’Connor, of American Canyon, was fired by the team last July after it was discovered she had been transferring team funds to her personal bank accounts over the prior year. Prosecutors said she used some of the money to pay off debts, but also toward a second home in San Diego, spa visits, pet grooming, home improvements and travel.
She stole $2.2 million and has returned roughly $1.6 million of it. Which shows just how responsible she was, given that she was probably saving that money for retirement and thus had it ready to return. Much better than spending the whole shebang on pet grooming. $600,000 for that kind of thing is plenty.
In other news, Barry Bonds remains the worst criminal in the history of San Francisco sports.
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 55
- 2015 Preview: Arizona Diamondbacks 5
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 67
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 24
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 88
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)
- Andrew McCutchen cut his hair for the first time in eight years (76)