Improving the Marlins twirling home run sculpture

Mar 27, 2012, 3:00 PM EDT

Miami Marlins Stadium Construction Baseball

Yesterday we finally saw what the Marlins’ home run sculpture thingy looked like in motion.  It was fantastic, obviously, but it was missing something: music.

Larry Granillo has fixed that. In a video over at Wezen-Ball he has give us our choice of Gloria Estefan, the “Magnum, P.I.” theme, the “Mad Men” them, the “Arrested Development” theme and the “Game of Thrones” theme.  They all have their charms.

Needs more “CHiPs,” but any of these would be acceptable.

1. Baseball Beer Burritos In That Order - Mar 27, 2012 at 3:04 PM

No Reign In Blood?

• nogoodtomedead - Mar 27, 2012 at 4:00 PM

The song is “Raining Blood” is on the album Reign in Blood

• Baseball Beer Burritos In That Order - Mar 27, 2012 at 4:16 PM

I’m aware, but I would have taken “Angel of Death”, “Jesus Saves”, “Raining Blood”, or “Piece by Piece” so I decided to just go with the album. I should have just said “Slayer” in hindsight, since most of their catalog would work.

• Baseball Beer Burritos In That Order - Mar 27, 2012 at 4:17 PM

Also, you may note that I put the album in italics…not a coincidence.

• nogoodtomedead - Mar 27, 2012 at 4:00 PM

The song is “Raining Blood” its on the album Reign in Blood

• lostsok - Mar 27, 2012 at 10:54 PM

“Copacabana” by Barry Manilow would be more fitting, although the mass suicide of an entire baseball stadium might be an unfortunate side effect.

2. bsbiz - Mar 27, 2012 at 3:04 PM

Eric Estrada has acquired sufficient mass to have capture several marlins in his gravitational field… I like it.

3. El Bravo - Mar 27, 2012 at 3:07 PM

Game of Thrones is so fantastic it should be bronzed and put on a mantel somewhere. Between baseball and Season 2 premiere on Sunday, life is a box of delicious pies right now.

4. cur68 - Mar 27, 2012 at 3:08 PM

How about Ode to a Wrecking Ball scored for jackhammers, a blast furnace and Loria’s screams as he has to pay back the taxpayers for that POS?

5. manifunk - Mar 27, 2012 at 3:15 PM

Fire Jerry Kill did this (better) 3 weeks ago:

• Jeremy Fox - Mar 27, 2012 at 3:30 PM

Thanks for the link, that was fun. Ode to Joy actually works brilliantly.

6. Old Gator - Mar 27, 2012 at 3:25 PM

If you’re gonna watch Tommy strut his stuff, I would think you’d want to play “Pinball Wizard” to it.

Failing that, Dark Star, the original version from Live Dead. Please put a little powdered cactus button in my diet coke first.

• stex52 - Mar 27, 2012 at 4:46 PM

“Dark Star” would work. “White Rabbit” by the Airplane is just about the right length, and goes with the general alternative reality theme of Tommy. I like “Tales of Brave Ulysses” for the general water theme and besides, then I get to throw Clapton in the mix.

• Old Gator - Mar 27, 2012 at 6:58 PM

Ah – how about “John’s Other” from the first electric Hot Tuna album?

• stex52 - Mar 27, 2012 at 10:04 PM

Hot Tuna, mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm………

7. Jeremy Fox - Mar 27, 2012 at 3:26 PM

Conga by Gloria Estefan works and of course she’s got the Miami connection. I liked the Star Wars cantina band too.

Someone should try the Chariots of Fire theme. Gotta cast a wide net to make sure you get this right.

8. phukyouk - Mar 27, 2012 at 3:29 PM

Honestly, it needs more cowbell

9. acheron2112 - Mar 27, 2012 at 3:32 PM

I would have gone with Yakety Sax (a la Benny Hill).

10. antlerclaws - Mar 27, 2012 at 3:42 PM

I heard the Marlins are going to actively try to NOT hit home runs while playing at home to avoid the embarrassment of that thing. When one of them accidently pops one over the fence, they’ll look sheepishly at the visiting team as they stare in awe and horror, then hold their hands out palms-up and shoulders shrugged as they’re trotting around the bases. “Sorry. We’re so sorry…”

11. drkincaid - Mar 27, 2012 at 3:43 PM

My vote is for the Miami Vice opening music

12. mvp43 - Mar 27, 2012 at 3:49 PM

Okay-

Honestly, I’ll take racing sausages any day of the week before this effing contraption………

13. bravojawja - Mar 27, 2012 at 4:07 PM

Why “Magnum PI” and not “Miami Vice”? May as well have picked “Northern Exposure.” Which, come to think, would be hilarious.

Also: The Conan the Barbarian over Game of Thrones. Really, anything by the late, great Basil Pouledouris would work here.

14. Jeremy Fox - Mar 27, 2012 at 4:26 PM

Can’t believe no one’s suggested any Jimmy Buffett songs yet. Cheeseburger in Paradise?

• jimbo1949 - Mar 27, 2012 at 8:41 PM

Favorite song titles by Buffet
      My Head Hurts, My Feet Stink, and I Don’t Love Jesus
      We Are The People Our Parents Warned Us About
      this might be better for the pinball machine:
      Everybody’s Got A Cousin In Miami

15. buffalomafia - Mar 27, 2012 at 5:04 PM

Reyes will choke now he has a big contract!

The Jon Lester-Yoenis Cespedes trade is a win-win