Joba Chamberlain issues first comments since ankle injury

Mar 27, 2012, 9:55 PM EDT

Joba Chamberlain Getty Reuters

Joba Chamberlain spoke with reporters tonight at the Yankees’ spring training complex for the first time since suffering an open dislocation of his right ankle last Thursday while jumping on a trampoline with his 5-year-old son.

While we heard some sensational stories in the aftermath of the injury, Kieran Darcy of ESPNNewYork.com reports that Chamberlain strongly denied reports that he lost significant amounts of blood and that his life was potentially in danger.

“I didn’t lose a lot of blood, contrary to what people wrote and what people read,” Chamberlain said. “It wasn’t life-threatening. I wasn’t planning on losing my foot. That was it.”

Chamberlain got particularly emotional when discussing the criticism he has faced for his decision to take his son to the trampoline facility.

“This game is very important to me; it allows me to do a lot of things,” Chamberlain continued, with eyes welling up. “But my son is my pride and joy. I think that was the biggest thing. Don’t be so hard on yourself and realize what you were doing. You were trying to be a good dad.”

Chamberlain is expected to be in a non-weight bearing cast for six weeks and there’s no clear timetable for him to get back on a mound, but he expressed optimism about his chances of pitching this season.

“Obviously, there’s a lot of things that are gonna have to happen before that,” Chamberlain said. “(But) I think there is a great chance that that is definitely going to happen.”

Setting aside potential complications with the ankle, Chamberlain is also working his way back from Tommy John surgery, so the odds are against him meeting his goal. For his part, Yankees general manager Brian Cashman refused to speculate on a potential return date, saying that “no one can tell you whether he’ll pitch this year or not yet.”

1. mybrunoblog - Mar 27, 2012 at 10:25 PM

That metal bar sticking out from his cast looks creepy…

2. lostsok - Mar 27, 2012 at 10:28 PM

That people criticize him for getting hurt playing with is son is insane. Honestly, I think fans of certain teams (cough, cough Yankees) think the players truly belong to THEM, and their actual lives are just an inconvenience they have to put up with. Granted, Mets fans aren’t as bad, but that’s mostly due to sucking for so long they’re pretty much just dead inside.

• Old Gator - Mar 27, 2012 at 11:41 PM

What’s insane about it? He gets emotional for being criticized for doing something stupidly risky given his weight and his dependence on his body to earn his living for him – and his family?Was there nothing else he could have been doing to provide some quality time with his son? Pardon me for demurring on this point, but this is a great big wide world full of lots of other stuff you can do with your kid that doesn’t put your career in jeopardy in the process.

• racksie - Mar 27, 2012 at 11:46 PM

Agreed. Plus, these places just look like lawsuits waiting to happen. This was a foolish decision. And again, I worry more about his kid seeing daddy’s ankle bone stinking through the skin. And the other kids. Think of the children, man.

• bigharold - Mar 28, 2012 at 12:28 AM

I’m a big Yankee fan and I’ve no issue with his injuring his foot in the manner in which it happened. And, I think the loudest complaints about his action did not come from Yankee fans. Either way it really doesn’t matter.

Baseball players are people, .. they don’t live in bubbles or marshmallow worlds. Roberts got hurt throwing out the garbage, .. I think it was Bobby Oheda that lost part of his finger trimming the hedges. Life is a contact sport and s*&t happens.

He was out with his kid doing Dad stuff. He didn’t drive his Porsche into a telephone pole at two in the morning, .. he didn’t get his ass kicked in a strip club, .. he didn’t bust his pitching hand punching a wall in a fit of frustration and he didn’t let his teammates down with reckless behavior. The only person he injured was himself. He had some tough luck and ultimately he will pay the biggest price. Lets find another whipping boy for a while.

• cur68 - Mar 28, 2012 at 1:31 AM

There’s decisions and there are Decisions. On the one hand, admirable for hangin’ with his kid doing father/son stuff. On the other hand…maybe fooseball next time, eh? Or nerf gun fights. Maybe a nice trip to the zoo. If he really wants some action, then a hide and seek water pistol fight with the kid. Trampoline’s though? Well, I’m sure they were having a gas right till he blew out that ankle. I really can’t blame the big lug too much: he was out having a good time with his son. It was a “right thing to do”. But a “more right thing to do” maybe wouldn’t involve trampolines.

3. dirtyharry1971 - Mar 27, 2012 at 10:37 PM

how about next time letting mom jump around with the kid instead of risking your career? geez

• wendell7 - Mar 28, 2012 at 7:20 AM

in a bikini top

4. gotampabay52 - Mar 27, 2012 at 10:43 PM

Good for the yankees hurt pitcher four more to go bring it new york we will kick your a#% and proud of it

• Old Gator - Mar 28, 2012 at 10:52 AM

Oh great. Just as cup0feces declares himself on hiatus (and at 2.15 billion, cheap at twice the price too), a brand new lowlife crawls out from under a trailer somewhere.

Ah well. Cut off a hydra’s head….

5. cur68 - Mar 27, 2012 at 11:05 PM

I can’t say as I blame him too much. Playing with your kid takes precedence over lots of things. Good luck with the ankle, Joba.

• 24missed - Mar 28, 2012 at 2:42 PM

That’s why you rock, Cur.

Life is good. Joba is alive and he was being a good dad. Who knew Joba plays around and is a goofball with his kid? We all do, now.
      Attentive parents aren’t always a given. Pretty cool to have a reminder of what is really important in life.
      Of course, there are ways he could have spent time with his child, but, this was his choice. Maybe he wasn’t aware of the ramifications that could happen. Could happen. If there were other athletes that hurt themselves this way, maybe Joba wasn’t aware.

• cur68 - Mar 28, 2012 at 8:16 PM

Aww, shucks. I’m blushing and stuff (not that anyone can tell, mind you). Yeah, poor ole Joba: tries to be the dad he never had and BOOM! ankle blow-out on the trampoline. WTF? Hope he comes back strong when he next takes the mound….against the Red Sox, of course.

• 24missed - Mar 28, 2012 at 9:15 PM

What? You’re blushing, dear Cur, awww. I’ll bet I could tell. And so could your dog.

And what’s with the smack talk about the RS? I thought the agreement was only talk trash about our respective teams. When you comment negatively on the RS via the RS/NYY rivalry, my dear, you are crossing a fine, fine line.

Besides, the Blue Jays initials will always be BJ and that’s just funny.

6. ivibaileyivi - Mar 27, 2012 at 11:20 PM

Can you picture that BIG dummy jumping on a trampoline… Joba what are you thinking??? You make millions take your big @ss to the park with the kids… Your as dumb as your name and looks homie.

7. buffalomafia - Mar 28, 2012 at 3:08 AM

The Yanks should cut him. He isn’t that good of a pitcher anyway!

8. stex52 - Mar 28, 2012 at 8:34 AM

If I break an ankle on the trampoline with my grandson, I will work in my office with a cast on my leg. Some of my work involves going out into a refinery and looking at things, but there are technicians who can take pictures for me. I would be about 90% effective. And my pay is a fraction of Chamberlain’s.

Trampolining is an accident waiting to happen, especially for a 240 lb man. Assume his ankle heals perfectly and the arm is okay and he can still pitch (by no means a sure thing). Are the Yankees still going to think he is worth a multi-million dollar risk? They might reasonably assume that he is not smart enough to protect their investment in him. I get all of the “quality time” stuff. But if he has messed himself up permanently, he has sacrificed years of financial security for his family.

9. cltjump - Mar 28, 2012 at 10:41 AM

I thought it was going to be some kind of PSA for overweight people and the danger of trampolines……….

10. ndrocks2 - Mar 28, 2012 at 2:26 PM

Tony Mandarich of MLB. Why is this guy still talked about what was the best month of his career? Imagine him on the Royals and this getting anything more than quick mention. Really can’t say he was a bust I guess since he really never accomplished anything sustainable in his brief career. To quote “The Hawk” – “He Gone!!!”

Three legends off to Cooperstown