Mar 27, 2012, 1:20 PM EDT
Jordan Schafer, who injured his left hand making a catch in the outfield on March 18 and hasn’t played since, has left Astros camp to be examined by a hand specialist in Atlanta.
Schafer has a long history of left hand injuries that have stalled his career in past seasons and Brian McTaggart of MLB.com reports that the injury did not respond well following a weekend batting practice session.
For now he’s been diagnosed with a sprain, but Schafer told McTaggart that he believes the injury is nerve-related. So far at least the Astros haven’t ruled him out for Opening Day and if healthy he’ll be the starting center fielder.
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (241)
- The Red Sox are still steamed that a PED guy played against them in the playoffs last year (130)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (111)
- Must-Click Link: Yasiel Puig’s harrowing journey to the United States (95)