Mar 27, 2012, 1:20 PM EDT
Jordan Schafer, who injured his left hand making a catch in the outfield on March 18 and hasn’t played since, has left Astros camp to be examined by a hand specialist in Atlanta.
Schafer has a long history of left hand injuries that have stalled his career in past seasons and Brian McTaggart of MLB.com reports that the injury did not respond well following a weekend batting practice session.
For now he’s been diagnosed with a sprain, but Schafer told McTaggart that he believes the injury is nerve-related. So far at least the Astros haven’t ruled him out for Opening Day and if healthy he’ll be the starting center fielder.
- 2014 Preview: Chicago Cubs 1
- Manny Machado calls $519K salary for 2014 “disappointing” 34
- Kris Medlen leaves game with right forearm strain 18
- Cardinals sign Cuban middle infielder Aledmys Diaz to a four-year major league contract 60
- Cardinals and Matt Carpenter agree to a six-year, $52 million extension 12