Mar 27, 2012, 8:03 PM EST
After losing their closer Ryan Madson due to season-ending Tommy John surgery, the Reds were given a scare with their other big offseason addition earlier today.
Mat Latos was pulled from his start this afternoon against the Cubs after 4 2/3 innings due to a strained left calf. However, the Reds were more fortunate this time around. According to Mark Sheldon of MLB.com, Latos said that he feels fine and fully intends to make his next scheduled start.
“I don’t know the layman’s terms of what’s going on but I’m fine,” Latos said. “They looked at it, they evaluated it. I put a little ice on it as a precaution.”
Latos, who was acquired from the Padres over the winter in exchange for Yonder Alonso, Edinson Volquez, Brad Boxberger, Yasmani Grandal, posted a 3.47 ERA and 185/62 K/BB ratio over 194 1/3 innings last season. While he’s likely to give up more homers at the hitter-friendly Great American Ballpark, his home/road splits aren’t all that dramatically different. The 24-year-old right-hander owns a 3.57 career ERA on the road compared to a 3.11 ERA at PETCO.
- Yasmany Tomas signs a six-year, $68.5 million deal with the Diamondbacks 82
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap 160
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 35
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 68
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 43
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 26
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap (161)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (138)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (136)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)