Mar 27, 2012, 8:03 PM EDT
After losing their closer Ryan Madson due to season-ending Tommy John surgery, the Reds were given a scare with their other big offseason addition earlier today.
Mat Latos was pulled from his start this afternoon against the Cubs after 4 2/3 innings due to a strained left calf. However, the Reds were more fortunate this time around. According to Mark Sheldon of MLB.com, Latos said that he feels fine and fully intends to make his next scheduled start.
“I don’t know the layman’s terms of what’s going on but I’m fine,” Latos said. “They looked at it, they evaluated it. I put a little ice on it as a precaution.”
Latos, who was acquired from the Padres over the winter in exchange for Yonder Alonso, Edinson Volquez, Brad Boxberger, Yasmani Grandal, posted a 3.47 ERA and 185/62 K/BB ratio over 194 1/3 innings last season. While he’s likely to give up more homers at the hitter-friendly Great American Ballpark, his home/road splits aren’t all that dramatically different. The 24-year-old right-hander owns a 3.57 career ERA on the road compared to a 3.11 ERA at PETCO.
- Frank Wren fired as Braves GM, John Hart to take over on an interim basis 38
- AND DOWN THE STRETCH THEY COME! Sizing up the final week of the regular season 36
- Must-Click Link: Derek Jeter opens up. Seriously, he really does. 42
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 57
- Must-click link: Tommy Harper and the Red Sox’ racist past 56
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 34
- Matt Garza ejected after hitting Andrew McCutchen a second time 34
- Tigers hang on for second straight win against Royals 8
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (123)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (105)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)