Mar 27, 2012, 8:03 PM EDT
After losing their closer Ryan Madson due to season-ending Tommy John surgery, the Reds were given a scare with their other big offseason addition earlier today.
Mat Latos was pulled from his start this afternoon against the Cubs after 4 2/3 innings due to a strained left calf. However, the Reds were more fortunate this time around. According to Mark Sheldon of MLB.com, Latos said that he feels fine and fully intends to make his next scheduled start.
“I don’t know the layman’s terms of what’s going on but I’m fine,” Latos said. “They looked at it, they evaluated it. I put a little ice on it as a precaution.”
Latos, who was acquired from the Padres over the winter in exchange for Yonder Alonso, Edinson Volquez, Brad Boxberger, Yasmani Grandal, posted a 3.47 ERA and 185/62 K/BB ratio over 194 1/3 innings last season. While he’s likely to give up more homers at the hitter-friendly Great American Ballpark, his home/road splits aren’t all that dramatically different. The 24-year-old right-hander owns a 3.57 career ERA on the road compared to a 3.11 ERA at PETCO.
- Source: Josh Hamilton rejected a trade to a National League team because he wanted to go back to Texas 12
- Deal done: Josh Hamilton traded to the Texas Rangers for cash considerations 25
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal 349
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 84
- Alex Rodriguez hits 659th career home run, now one shy of tying Willie Mays 54
- Max Scherzer doubtful for next start due to thumb injury 5
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards 149
- It sure sounds like Adam Wainwright suffered a torn Achilles tendon on Saturday night 44
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal (349)
- Comment of the Day: do not underestimate the seriousness of the anti-DH crowd (180)
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (161)
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards (149)