Mat Latos day-to-day with left calf strain

Mar 27, 2012, 8:03 PM EDT

Mat Latos Getty Getty Images

After losing their closer Ryan Madson due to season-ending Tommy John surgery, the Reds were given a scare with their other big offseason addition earlier today.

Mat Latos was pulled from his start this afternoon against the Cubs after 4 2/3 innings due to a strained left calf. However, the Reds were more fortunate this time around. According to Mark Sheldon of MLB.com, Latos said that he feels fine and fully intends to make his next scheduled start.

“I don’t know the layman’s terms of what’s going on but I’m fine,” Latos said. “They looked at it, they evaluated it. I put a little ice on it as a precaution.”

Latos, who was acquired from the Padres over the winter in exchange for Yonder Alonso, Edinson Volquez, Brad Boxberger, Yasmani Grandal, posted a 3.47 ERA and 185/62 K/BB ratio over 194 1/3 innings last season. While he’s likely to give up more homers at the hitter-friendly Great American Ballpark, his home/road splits aren’t all that dramatically different. The 24-year-old right-hander owns a 3.57 career ERA on the road compared to a 3.11 ERA at PETCO.

1. metalhead65 - Mar 27, 2012 at 9:47 PM

reds fans can only hope he is not as fine as madsen’s tweak of his elbow turned out to be. remember that was nothing to worry about when it happened ,just normal spring training soreness and nothing to worry about. will not be shocked if turns out he tore a calf mucsle and will miss 6-8 weeks.

• paperlions - Mar 27, 2012 at 10:43 PM

Atta boy, keep that glass 90% empty.

• metalhead65 - Mar 27, 2012 at 11:17 PM

so your sating even though they said the same thing about madsen I should have no worries and maintain a everything is fine approach with this latest nothing serious injury? can I have some of the happy pills you are taking? since you are not a reds fan I would not expect you to understand that this is a all or nothing season for them after all the moves they made in the off season. a key piece of which is already lost for the season and the other big piece has now come up lame but we are not to worry?

• metalhead65 - Mar 28, 2012 at 2:29 AM

I point out they said the excat same thing about madsen and we all saw how that turned out but you are giving me thumbs down?

• forsch31 - Mar 28, 2012 at 1:59 PM

You mean that a calf muscle is the same as an elbow injury? Strange what they be teaching in med school these days….

• metalhead65 - Mar 28, 2012 at 2:57 PM

no I mean they said madsen’s injury was nothing to worry about when in fact it turned out to be. so when they say latos is nothing to worry about then maybe reds fans should be.

• stlouis1baseball - Mar 28, 2012 at 8:58 AM

Hahaha! Thanks Metalhead. You never dissapoint.

2. ch0psuey - Mar 27, 2012 at 10:34 PM

Padres-Red’s Trade looking better and better..

3. Francisco (FC) - Mar 28, 2012 at 9:45 AM

Hmm… I had so far managed to avoid being hit by the injury bug in my Roster… Well, if Latos is sidelined I’ve got Kuroda to step in…

Red Sox shopping Lester and Lackey