Mar 27, 2012, 8:03 PM EDT
After losing their closer Ryan Madson due to season-ending Tommy John surgery, the Reds were given a scare with their other big offseason addition earlier today.
Mat Latos was pulled from his start this afternoon against the Cubs after 4 2/3 innings due to a strained left calf. However, the Reds were more fortunate this time around. According to Mark Sheldon of MLB.com, Latos said that he feels fine and fully intends to make his next scheduled start.
“I don’t know the layman’s terms of what’s going on but I’m fine,” Latos said. “They looked at it, they evaluated it. I put a little ice on it as a precaution.”
Latos, who was acquired from the Padres over the winter in exchange for Yonder Alonso, Edinson Volquez, Brad Boxberger, Yasmani Grandal, posted a 3.47 ERA and 185/62 K/BB ratio over 194 1/3 innings last season. While he’s likely to give up more homers at the hitter-friendly Great American Ballpark, his home/road splits aren’t all that dramatically different. The 24-year-old right-hander owns a 3.57 career ERA on the road compared to a 3.11 ERA at PETCO.
- Alex Gordon and the M-V-P chants 10
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. 184
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 63
- David Price surrenders nine consecutive hits to the Yankees in the worst start of his career 29
- Video: Jorge Soler homers in his first major league at-bat 30
- Adam Wainwright has a “dead arm” 40
- HBT Daily: Alex Gordon and the Royals keep on rolling 12
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 43
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare (247)
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. (198)
- Forgiveness for Pete Rose? Not in this lifetime (145)
- Albert Pujols plays the “you never played the game!” card (102)
- Great Moments in Drug Testing and Punishment: The NFL Edition (101)