Mar 27, 2012, 9:24 AM EDT
R.A. Dickey has a memoir coming out. Given his depths, it’s not surprising that it’s not your typical jock-talk. But as revealed in Andy Martino’s story about it in the Daily News, it’s a lot heavier than that:
In a raw new memoir, Mets pitcher R.A. Dickey reveals that he was sexually abused as an eight-year-old, and later lived with so much anger and shame that he contemplated suicide just a few years before signing with the Mets … Dickey writes about closing down Nashville barrooms with his mother at age five, sleeping in abandoned houses as a teenager, swimming with alligators and turning to sports in an effort to mitigate the pain brought on by the sexual abuse.
There are excerpts of it available over at Sports Illustrated.
The book talks about the abuse and messed up childhood leading to fears of intimacy, and that in turn leading him to have an affair after he was married, which in turn made him contemplate suicide. He bounced back via therapy, extreme remorse, the support of his wife and the strength of his religious beliefs Which … whoa to all of it.
Knuckleballers, man. There’s a hell of a lot more going on with them than there is with most folks.
- Garrett Richards suffers ugly left knee injury 4
- Giants win protest, will complete rain-halted game at Wrigley Field on Thursday afternoon 12
- Royals might actually know what they are doing 23
- Curt Schilling reveals that he was diagnosed with mouth cancer, blames smokeless tobacco 70
- Clown shoes in Chicago: the Cubs grounds crew couldn’t get the tarp on the field 58
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 69
- Tony La Russa denies that Kirk Gibson’s job is safe 22
- Pirates activate Andrew McCutchen from the disabled list 2
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (127)
- Here’s today’s dose of barfy Derek Jeter sentiment (82)
- Let’s speed up the pace of play. But let’s not be gimmicky about it. Let’s just enforce the rules. (74)
- Curt Schilling reveals that he was diagnosed with mouth cancer, blames smokeless tobacco (70)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (69)