Reds undecided on closer replacement for Ryan Madson

Mar 27, 2012, 12:16 PM EDT

Cincinnati Reds Photo Day Getty Images

As soon as news broke of Ryan Madson needing season-ending Tommy John elbow surgery the assumption was that the Reds would move setup man Sean Marshall into the closer role, but manager Dusty Baker apparently hasn’t made up his mind yet.

Baker told Jesse Sanchez of MLB.com that he’s “been getting that question from all my friends, family, and people in restaurants” but “we have to talk to the guys” because “you just don’t throw somebody in that role.”

Bill Bray, Nick Masset, and Aroldis Chapman are the other closer candidates, but Marshall is clearly the Reds’ best reliever and one of the best relievers in all of baseball, closer experience or not. In two seasons as a full-time reliever Marshall threw 150 innings with a 2.45 ERA and 169/42 K/BB ratio, holding opponents to a .222 batting average and just four homers. If that isn’t closer material, I don’t know what is.

1. sabathiawouldbegoodattheeighthtoo - Mar 27, 2012 at 12:40 PM

Maybe they can trade for Fuentes. He is a Proven Closer with Closing Experience and I even heard he has Closer Mentality. That stuff all sounds more important than actually, you know, pitching well.

2. metalhead65 - Mar 27, 2012 at 1:14 PM

no matter how good he is now he won’t be after dusty uses him 4 days in a row.

• cur68 - Mar 27, 2012 at 7:21 PM

Thanks, metal. All is right with the world when there’s Reds’ pitcher news and you pile on Dusty. Even as we speak, Dusty’s probably puttin’ The Bad Touch on Marshall’s arm. He’s awful that way.

• metalhead65 - Mar 27, 2012 at 9:42 PM

I think I will start wrighting day dates and times so you can look it up when I post a comment. dusty did in fact do that to 2 reds pitchers last year. one was cordero who predicably blew the game when he came for the 4th day in a row and wh o had pitched more than 1 inning in at least 2 of those games. I believe it was against the cardinals but not positive. and he did the same thing with chapman, again it was against the cardinals and he walked like 6 in a row and went on the dl a couple of days later so they could try and fix his sudden control prolems on a rehab in louisville. I am sure in your world this never happened but as a reds fan I can assure it did and he does this on a regular basis. I am glad whatever team you follow has a manager who knows how to handle pitchers so this kind of abuse does not happen to them. or are you just a member of the dusty fan club?I do not post this info just to take your abuse you know,maybe you should check with other reds fans before you dismiss me.

• cur68 - Mar 27, 2012 at 10:59 PM

John Farrell manages the Jays: former pitching coach of the Sox. Personally I don’t know enough about Baker’s track record the last few seasons to be on his case or not. I do know that when I look up managers that have their pitchers throw the most innings, he’s not number one. Jim Leyland is. As to my interest in your Anti-Dusty rants, I’m a compulsive pattern finder. I see the headline and I know the content of the comments section. Last Reds’ pitcher post (the Madson to have TJ surgery post) you let me down: no anti-Dusty screed. Now you’re back on form. I’m grateful, because its weird to not have it happen.

3. randomdigits - Mar 27, 2012 at 1:14 PM

Gregg is available, cheap! He doesn’t give in and has closer experience.

Did I mention he would be cheap?

4. cintiphil - Mar 27, 2012 at 1:36 PM

I think it makes sense to continue letting Masset, Bray and Chapman set up, and Marshall close. What is the big deal? The problem is that Chapman should be a starter and it will be a waste of money to use him to set up victories and waste his talent in the BP.

Why is Wren out and Gonzalez is not?
  1. R. Castillo (2566)