Mar 27, 2012, 5:44 PM EDT
We’re getting to a point in baseball media where some teams barely have any local coverage. There’s a beat guy or two, but press boxes that once teemed with scribes are often empty due to consolidation, newspapers cutting back and the migration of coverage to the internet, where uncredentialed writers ply their trade.
But one newspaper is going to change that. At least for one day. It’s the OC Register, which plans on “mobbing” the Angels’ home opener with what sounds like a barftastic multimedia overload:
On April 6, the Orange County Register will cover the Angels’ Opening Day in Anaheim like no news organization has ever covered a baseball team. We will have more than 100 writers, editors, bloggers, photographers, videographers, graphic artists, designers, advertising representatives, marketing staff members and FANS working together to contribute to the Angels coverage for desktop web, mobile devices, ipad and in print that day (and throughout that weekend) …
… For one 24-hour period beginning April 6, we will unveil (just wait until you see the homepage at OCRegister.com) a massive number of Angels stories, blog posts, tweets, Facebook status updates, photographs and videos produced by journalists who usually cover business, rock n roll, television, movies, cities, police, trends, plastic surgery, celebrity gossip, social issues, Latino issues, travel, human interest, OC Moms, food, theater and, of course, sports … The News Mob is coming.
I can’t wait to hear what the “OC Moms” and plastic surgery writers have to contribute.
OK, despite calling it “barftastic” — it was the first word that came to mind — this actually sounds kind of fun. It’s the sort of thing that would become overwhelming pretty quickly, but one day of reading and hearing baseball coverage from people who don’t cover baseball is bound to spin out a couple of interesting nuggets. And would probably help create some interest among those who wouldn’t normally think too much about baseball.
- The Yankees were no-hit by the Marlins in Panama 24
- Report: Jose Iglesias could miss most of the 2014 season 41
- Manny Machado dealing with scar tissue in knee, increasingly unlikely for Opening Day 10
- The D-Backs weren’t kidding about the retaliation thing 57
- Red Sox prospect gets arrested, acts like a monumental jackwagon 105
- Red Sox prospect gets arrested, acts like a monumental jackwagon (105)
- Is Barry Bonds really getting a “fair hearing?” (104)
- Keith Olbermann REALLY hates that Barry Bonds is coaching the Giants for a week (102)
- Manny Machado calls $519K salary for 2014 “disappointing” (90)
- Giants players love having Barry Bonds at spring training (90)