Mar 27, 2012, 5:44 PM EDT
We’re getting to a point in baseball media where some teams barely have any local coverage. There’s a beat guy or two, but press boxes that once teemed with scribes are often empty due to consolidation, newspapers cutting back and the migration of coverage to the internet, where uncredentialed writers ply their trade.
But one newspaper is going to change that. At least for one day. It’s the OC Register, which plans on “mobbing” the Angels’ home opener with what sounds like a barftastic multimedia overload:
On April 6, the Orange County Register will cover the Angels’ Opening Day in Anaheim like no news organization has ever covered a baseball team. We will have more than 100 writers, editors, bloggers, photographers, videographers, graphic artists, designers, advertising representatives, marketing staff members and FANS working together to contribute to the Angels coverage for desktop web, mobile devices, ipad and in print that day (and throughout that weekend) …
… For one 24-hour period beginning April 6, we will unveil (just wait until you see the homepage at OCRegister.com) a massive number of Angels stories, blog posts, tweets, Facebook status updates, photographs and videos produced by journalists who usually cover business, rock n roll, television, movies, cities, police, trends, plastic surgery, celebrity gossip, social issues, Latino issues, travel, human interest, OC Moms, food, theater and, of course, sports … The News Mob is coming.
I can’t wait to hear what the “OC Moms” and plastic surgery writers have to contribute.
OK, despite calling it “barftastic” — it was the first word that came to mind — this actually sounds kind of fun. It’s the sort of thing that would become overwhelming pretty quickly, but one day of reading and hearing baseball coverage from people who don’t cover baseball is bound to spin out a couple of interesting nuggets. And would probably help create some interest among those who wouldn’t normally think too much about baseball.
- Video: Mike Trout makes a ridiculous slide to beat the tag at third base 2
- Cuba’s best pitching prospect is on his way to America 20
- Will Smith suspended for eight games for the foreign substance on his arm 61
- Will Smith’s ejection once again shows baseball’s silly approach to foreign substance rules 48
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 95
- Who really owns a home run ball? 65
- The story behind the Nationals squirting chocolate syrup on each other after big wins 43
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 131
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (131)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (130)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)