The OC Register plans to “mob” the Angels home opener

Mar 27, 2012, 5:44 PM EDT

paparazzi

We’re getting to a point in baseball media where some teams barely have any local coverage. There’s a beat guy or two, but press boxes that once teemed with scribes are often empty due to consolidation, newspapers cutting back and the migration of coverage to the internet, where uncredentialed writers ply their trade.

But one newspaper is going to change that. At least for one day. It’s the OC Register, which plans on “mobbing” the Angels’ home opener with what sounds like a barftastic multimedia overload:

On April 6, the Orange County Register will cover the Angels’ Opening Day in Anaheim like no news organization has ever covered a baseball team. We will have more than 100 writers, editors, bloggers, photographers, videographers, graphic artists, designers, advertising representatives, marketing staff members and FANS working together to contribute to the Angels coverage for desktop web, mobile devices, ipad and in print that day (and throughout that weekend) …

… For one 24-hour period beginning April 6, we will unveil (just wait until you see the homepage at OCRegister.com) a massive number of Angels stories, blog posts, tweets, Facebook status updates, photographs and videos produced by journalists who usually cover business, rock n roll, television, movies, cities, police, trends, plastic surgery, celebrity gossip, social issues, Latino issues, travel, human interest, OC Moms, food, theater and, of course, sports … The News Mob is coming.

I can’t wait to hear what the “OC Moms” and plastic surgery writers have to contribute.

OK, despite calling it “barftastic” — it was the first word that came to mind — this actually sounds kind of fun.  It’s the sort of thing that would become overwhelming pretty quickly, but one day of reading and hearing baseball coverage from people who don’t cover baseball is bound to spin out a couple of interesting nuggets.  And would probably help create some interest among those who wouldn’t normally think too much about baseball.

1. fearlessleader - Mar 27, 2012 at 5:48 PM

I’ll co-sign heartily on the “barftastic” (this applies to the Register in general, actually), but I’ll also point out that there’s no reason an “OC Mom” couldn’t know just as much about baseball as an OC Dad.

2. Gamera the Brave - Mar 27, 2012 at 5:53 PM

I will promptly be importing “barftastic” into my personal lexicon…

3. ezthinking - Mar 27, 2012 at 5:55 PM

Angels are trying awfully hard to steal LA from the Dodgers before the owners hit town.

• scatterbrian - Mar 27, 2012 at 6:46 PM

ding ding ding!

• dallasstars9 - Mar 28, 2012 at 12:03 PM

The Angels have already stolen “LA from the Dodgers” – This is just icing on the cake. Go Halos!

4. yankeesgameday - Mar 27, 2012 at 5:59 PM

It’s the oc… All those plastic surgery writers need to do is look in the player wife and girfriend section of the stands for at least twenty stories. heck, they may not even make it that far before they are overwhelmed with material to write.

5. Mike Luna - Mar 27, 2012 at 6:05 PM

Yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaawn.

The hype surrounding the Angels is akin to last season’s overblown talk about the Red Sox being the next Murderererer’s Row. It’s made me very sleepy.

Call me when the Angels are back-to-back defending American League Champions.

• Glen - Mar 27, 2012 at 6:25 PM

It’s gotta hurt that you had to type “American League Champions” and not “World Series Champions.”

Call me back when you get the big trophy.

• Mike Luna - Mar 27, 2012 at 11:50 PM

I would, but I don’t have your number.

6. cosanostra71 - Mar 27, 2012 at 6:29 PM

OC register is a garbage paper. it is a left leaning tabloid paper that spends most of its money on sympathy stories about illegal immigrants and “updates” (read: free adverts) on local bars, nightclubs and fast food joints. that said, they do happen to have a strong sports section and I would anticipate this to be an entertaining venture

• fearlessleader - Mar 27, 2012 at 8:06 PM

Actually, the Register is a longtime Libertarian rag. There is absolutely nothing left-wing about it.

• cosanostra71 - Mar 27, 2012 at 11:46 PM

I’m a Libertarian and I would love to see proof that the Register is Libertarian. That’s a joke…

• cosanostra71 - Mar 28, 2012 at 12:00 AM

Their coverage of the serial killer being the perfect example.

• fearlessleader - Mar 28, 2012 at 1:39 AM

Cosanostra, the Register is less obviously Libertarian than it used to be, but there’s really no debate about their leanings in that direction. I’m not sure which serial killer you’re referencing, and I’m a little nervous to ask what your Libertarian view on serial murder might be.

• Ted Spradlin - Mar 27, 2012 at 9:58 PM

Gee, what a surprise! A person from Orange County who has a beef with illegals. If it’s not illegals, it’s death panels, socialized medicine, or billionaire teachers. The only thing missing from cosanostra’s comment is him making sure we are aware he attends a foursquare church. No conversation with an OC resident is complete without them telling you what church they go to. It’s as much a status symbol in The OC as new boobs or a BMW.

• cosanostra71 - Mar 27, 2012 at 11:46 PM

I haven’t been to church in years

7. mybrunoblog - Mar 27, 2012 at 7:48 PM

Sad to see the newspapers dying. Does anyone under age 30 ever buy a newspaper? Oh and by the way. I doubt the angels are going to hand out press credentials to “fans”.

• churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged - Mar 27, 2012 at 8:03 PM

Is there any reason to buy a newspaper? Honest question

8. slumdog66 - Mar 27, 2012 at 8:40 PM

Mike Luna just got owned by glen!

• Mike Luna - Mar 27, 2012 at 11:51 PM

I don’t feel like I got owned….

9. dowhatifeellike - Mar 27, 2012 at 9:05 PM

Meh. Print isn’t dead yet but it will be soon. The only real reason I can come up with for buying a newspaper is for the coupons. I can get the NY Times and the WSJ online for a couple bucks per month AND read them at work without getting caught.

• mybrunoblog - Mar 27, 2012 at 10:45 PM

Most newspapers “free” online versions do not contain all the news/stories/features that the print version contains…that’s a reason to buy a newspaper…oh yeah, do ya really wanna drag your tablet or laptop with you on the crapper? Kind of gross…

• dowhatifeellike - Mar 28, 2012 at 10:28 AM

The digital subscriptions cost less than the print versions and I have a healthy digestive tract so I don’t have time to read on the can. I do most of my news reading via smartphone while riding the bus to/from work; there’s no way I could get non-regional newspapers to my door by 6am, so the digital versions suit me just fine. I also don’t have anything to dispose of when I’m finished.

10. maddogg911 - Mar 27, 2012 at 10:17 PM

This is a joke.

11. xrateplaya - Mar 27, 2012 at 11:12 PM

Oc register does not slant left.. It’s a completely republican newspaper.. Just like this whole county is

Can Nationals run the playoff table?
  1. D. Jeter (3378)