Mar 28, 2012, 9:20 AM EDT
Mariners 3, A’s 1: Opening Morning! Gotta say, for all of my bitching about this yesterday, it was kind of nice to wake up at 5:52 AM, roll over, fire up the laptop and watch some baseball. At least until my kids woke up. Then I had to take precious time away from the game to tell them that breakfast will be later and to go play video games because Daddy is watching baseball. My parenting is already in midseason form.
As for the baseball: it was pretty classic Seattle Mariners for a while as Felix Hernandez just didn’t know how to win, giving up one run on five hits while striking out six in eight innings. He should just pitch to the score more or something. Brandon McCarthy was good himself, giving up one run — a Dustin Ackley homer — and a boatload of grounders in seven innings. Some jokers were saying that the M’s and A’s would give us a 0-0 game for 19 innings. Nonsense. But for a while it felt like it would be 1-1 that long.
Dustin Ackley struck again in extras, singling in Brendan Ryan in the 11th. Ichiro added some insurance, knocking in Ackley on his fourth single of the game. Just Ichiro being Ichiro. Home cookin’, yo.
We do this again tomorrow morning. Then some time off. Then back next week. But hey, baseball.
- Ian Kinsler hopes Rangers go 0-162, calls GM a “sleazeball” (132)
- Albert Pujols was insulted when someone asked him if he can put up Mike Trout numbers (103)
- The politics of “The Cardinal Way” (67)
- Robinson Cano wants the Mariners to bring in Kendrys Morales and Ervin Santana (64)
- Reporter calls Ian Kinsler as self-absorbed as A-Rod (60)