Mar 28, 2012, 9:20 AM EDT
Mariners 3, A’s 1: Opening Morning! Gotta say, for all of my bitching about this yesterday, it was kind of nice to wake up at 5:52 AM, roll over, fire up the laptop and watch some baseball. At least until my kids woke up. Then I had to take precious time away from the game to tell them that breakfast will be later and to go play video games because Daddy is watching baseball. My parenting is already in midseason form.
As for the baseball: it was pretty classic Seattle Mariners for a while as Felix Hernandez just didn’t know how to win, giving up one run on five hits while striking out six in eight innings. He should just pitch to the score more or something. Brandon McCarthy was good himself, giving up one run — a Dustin Ackley homer — and a boatload of grounders in seven innings. Some jokers were saying that the M’s and A’s would give us a 0-0 game for 19 innings. Nonsense. But for a while it felt like it would be 1-1 that long.
Dustin Ackley struck again in extras, singling in Brendan Ryan in the 11th. Ichiro added some insurance, knocking in Ackley on his fourth single of the game. Just Ichiro being Ichiro. Home cookin’, yo.
We do this again tomorrow morning. Then some time off. Then back next week. But hey, baseball.
- 2015 MLB Trade Deadline Tracker 7
- Report: Yoenis Cespedes heading to the New York Mets 20
- The Blue Jays pick up Ben Revere from the Phillies 49
- Cubs trade for Dan Haren 26
- Cardinals add more bullpen help, get Jonathan Broxton from Brewers 11
- Orioles trade for Brewers outfielder Gerardo Parra 19
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 44
- Giants to acquire Mike Leake from Reds 33
- The MLBPA is considering withholding cooperation with ESPN, Fox over Colin Cowherd’s comments (157)
- The Cubs are in discussions with the Phillies on Cole Hamels (146)
- Major League Baseball rips Colin Cowherd in an official statement (123)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (111)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)