Mar 28, 2012, 9:20 AM EDT
Mariners 3, A’s 1: Opening Morning! Gotta say, for all of my bitching about this yesterday, it was kind of nice to wake up at 5:52 AM, roll over, fire up the laptop and watch some baseball. At least until my kids woke up. Then I had to take precious time away from the game to tell them that breakfast will be later and to go play video games because Daddy is watching baseball. My parenting is already in midseason form.
As for the baseball: it was pretty classic Seattle Mariners for a while as Felix Hernandez just didn’t know how to win, giving up one run on five hits while striking out six in eight innings. He should just pitch to the score more or something. Brandon McCarthy was good himself, giving up one run — a Dustin Ackley homer — and a boatload of grounders in seven innings. Some jokers were saying that the M’s and A’s would give us a 0-0 game for 19 innings. Nonsense. But for a while it felt like it would be 1-1 that long.
Dustin Ackley struck again in extras, singling in Brendan Ryan in the 11th. Ichiro added some insurance, knocking in Ackley on his fourth single of the game. Just Ichiro being Ichiro. Home cookin’, yo.
We do this again tomorrow morning. Then some time off. Then back next week. But hey, baseball.
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife 42
- No, baseball does not need to “announce a domestic violence policy ASAP” 48
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 48
- Video: Rusney Castillo notches his first major league hit 6
- Michael Wacha cleared to return Saturday vs. Reds 2
- Marlins officially shut down Giancarlo Stanton for the season 6
- Umpire Joe West suspended for one game for his part in the Jonathan Papelbon incident 57
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 83
- Chris Davis suspended 25 games for amphetamine use (92)
- Giancarlo Stanton diagnosed with multiple facial fractures and dental damage (91)
- Bud Selig can’t remember the last domestic violence incident in Major League Baseball (89)
- A couple of initial thoughts on the Chris Davis suspension (83)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)