And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights

Mar 28, 2012, 9:20 AM EDT

Dustin Ackley homer

Mariners 3, A’s 1: Opening Morning!  Gotta say, for all of my bitching about this yesterday, it was kind of nice to wake up at 5:52 AM, roll over, fire up the laptop and watch some baseball. At least until my kids woke up. Then I had to take precious time away from the game to tell them that breakfast will be later and to go play video games because Daddy is watching baseball.  My parenting is already in midseason form.

As for the baseball: it was pretty classic Seattle Mariners for a while as Felix Hernandez just didn’t know how to win, giving up one run on five hits while striking out six in eight innings. He should just pitch to the score more or something.  Brandon McCarthy was good himself, giving up one run — a Dustin Ackley homer — and a boatload of grounders in seven innings.  Some jokers were saying that the M’s and A’s would give us a 0-0 game for 19 innings. Nonsense. But for a while it felt like it would be 1-1 that long.

Dustin Ackley struck again in extras, singling in Brendan Ryan in the 11th.  Ichiro added some insurance, knocking in Ackley on his fourth single of the game.  Just Ichiro being Ichiro. Home cookin’, yo.

We do this again tomorrow morning. Then some time off. Then back next week.  But hey, baseball.

1. cur68 - Mar 28, 2012 at 9:29 AM

ATH. Nice.

2. ThisIsBaseball - Mar 28, 2012 at 9:33 AM

Yay, ATH! It’s official: Baseball is back!

3. sdelmonte - Mar 28, 2012 at 9:36 AM

ATH, how I’ve missed you.

And thus Bob Feller’s once in a lifetime accomplishment remains unique for another week.

4. El Bravo - Mar 28, 2012 at 9:41 AM

Don’t call it a comeback, ATH has been here for years.

5. stex52 - Mar 28, 2012 at 9:44 AM

Welcome back to regular season baseball. Life is good.

6. phukyouk - Mar 28, 2012 at 9:57 AM

ATH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

7. amhendrick - Mar 28, 2012 at 9:59 AM

Was the game on TV? I couldn’t find it.

• mdpickles - Mar 28, 2012 at 10:05 AM

It was on WJAP channel 9890 on the cable box.

• ThisIsBaseball - Mar 28, 2012 at 10:33 AM

It’s replay broadcast started on MLBN at 9 am ET. It will be replayed at 10PM ET. tonight on MLBN.

• jimbo1949 - Mar 28, 2012 at 2:53 PM

My DirecTv guide shows Extra Innings not running yet. Shows the game was on channel 687 0500ET this morning and same again tomorrow for the next game.

8. umrguy42 - Mar 28, 2012 at 10:10 AM

It was a little surreal to stop in the cafeteria at work this morning, and see at about 8:50, a score update for As-Ms in the 11th :p

9. cltjump - Mar 28, 2012 at 10:37 AM

ATH :D

10. WhenMattStairsIsKing - Mar 28, 2012 at 10:41 AM

This felt longer than any offseason in my memory. It is ridiculously good to see ATH again.

• ajcardsfan - Mar 28, 2012 at 11:24 AM

I think it’s because we’ve been drowning in Tebow/Manning Saga. I for one am happy that the regular season has started and will now be checking the status on my starters on my fantasy team!

• WhenMattStairsIsKing - Mar 28, 2012 at 1:13 PM

I know more about Levi Strauss’ personal life than I do the NFL. I just feel like the Texas-Cardinals WS was a bajillion years ago. Play ball!

11. megary - Mar 28, 2012 at 10:58 AM

Gotta say, for all of my bitching about this site and its shameless baiting of fans, it was kind of nice to wake up, roll over, fire up the laptop and read me some ATH.

It’s an institution.

12. rcali - Mar 28, 2012 at 11:08 AM

Embarrassing MLB, embarrassing.

• dexterismyhero - Mar 28, 2012 at 11:16 AM

March 27th opening day for MLB…………………….In Japan!!!!!

Oh well…………..

• sportsdrenched.com - Mar 28, 2012 at 11:33 AM

I fight the “MLB is relevant” Fight. I’m fine with them opening in Japan. However, the fact that this game wasn’t live on a national network is inexcusable.

With the three previous Japan Openers ESPN carried live. Now the best MLB can do is tape delay it’s OWN opener on it’s OWN network because they had to show a tape delayed exhibition game?

I don’t care about the local TV contracts. Get it figured out.

I’m glad there was a real game to keep track of. However, MLB is missing so much potential here that it is emberassing and it makes it more difficult to state that MLB is in fact relevant.

13. Old Gator - Mar 28, 2012 at 11:17 AM

It has been a long offseason, hasn’t it? Well, at least here in Macondo we’ve been able to watch Scrooge McLoria’s giant cuisinart rounding itself into shape, watched as the big composite and aluminum name “Macondo Banana Massacre Field” was affixed to it and then saw a couple of requisite soulless corporate logos hoisted into place, beheld in awe as the Chihuahua yipped “Tommy! Klaatu barada nikto” and the Grand Guignol leftfield home run feature arose from its slab and lurched to life, watched the city of Macondo deftly screw the locals out of their curb spaces in deference to their billionaire pimps and watched the city and county comptroller’s offices shoving desks around to make room for the federal auditors, watched the DOT in a mad panic try to get the westbound loop ramp to southbound 27th Avenue on the Dolfeen Expressway fixed up in time for the impending traffic fiasco, and wept and prayed and donned hair t-shirts and flagellated ourselves with shredded python sheddings and sacrificed goats and (apparently) a couple of specimen fetuses like the one meant for a Santeria ceremony confiscated from a fetus mule at MIA a couple of days ago (how can you not love this town?) to heal the gimpy knees of Tweeter and the Iron Giant, shipped in cartons of lobster bibs and throwaway ponchos for Slobbering Ozzie’s press conferences, repaired the big hole where the 2010 team fell through, waxed and polished the gossamer digits of the strange attractor and stored it away in the matrix and hoped we’d never have to use it this season, made a few phone calls (assuming we could speak Spanish, which isn’t much of an assumption around here) to see whose yards and lawns adjacent to the stadium would be accepting cars at $5 a pop or less, planned escape routes out of the congestion zone through Wynnwood and Little Havana, made sure to put a few packets of Pepto-Bismol tablets in our pockets to ward off the evil spirits in the bun-length superfund sites the hawkers’ll be selling, and generally amped ourselves up for the real opening day.

Just a few more days to go….

PS – I am already going to miss Mike Celizic’s annual opening day column on MSNBC.

• kiwicricket - Mar 28, 2012 at 11:39 AM

You failed to stray off on a alternate food related tangent. Nothing about Bree and home made buns. The season is still young, but this is a disappointing start Gator.

• Old Gator - Mar 28, 2012 at 12:11 PM

Easter is just a few weeks away, with its traditional Colombian and Venezuelan capybara dinner. I must admit that I haven’t looked deeply into the nutritional value of giant rat, finding the whole idea kind of offputting anyway, but I gotta assume it’s similar to squirrel or conejo, the Peruvian prep of the latter, conejo a lo macho (as in “real men do eat rabbit”) being a particular favorite of mine. Lean, high protein, low fat. Certainly, no horrible horsemeat and Velveeta™ sandwich. I did go off conejo for a while owing to an unfortunate incident when, some years ago, the waitress who was flambéing our conejo under the careful eye of the maitre’d used a little too much brandy, waited a second too long and let it atomize too much, and then blew the entire thing to smithereens when she finally lit it. A pillar of fire went up, not long enough to inscribe any stone tablets or anything but enough to send the message, and smoldering bits of bunny went flying all over the place. The waitress collapsed crying to the floor in a heap, and the maitre’d, nonplussed but stoical, politely said, “I am sorry señor. I will bring you another rrrrabbit.”

I also have some great recipes for latkes and for a yeast-free charoseth (apple, walnut and wine) pie for Passover. Ryan Braun take note; our potatoes are grown without testosterone.

So I’m saving up my culinary recommendations till the holidays.

• natstowngreg - Mar 28, 2012 at 1:53 PM

Nor Horsemeat and Velveeta ™ sandwiches.

The Guinness Book of Records called. Something about the World’s Longest Run-on Sentence.

• Old Gator - Mar 28, 2012 at 3:19 PM

I called Guinness back and referred them to Gabriel Garcia Márquez’ El Otoño del Patriarcha, and told them to stick to brewing stout.

• cur68 - Mar 28, 2012 at 6:18 PM

Wonderful digression on eating off the beaten path. I myself prefer tatu. Lots and lots of tatu. Provided its cleaned properly, prepared by an expert, and served steaming hot you hardly ever catch leprosy.

• Gamera the Brave - Mar 28, 2012 at 12:12 PM

Although I will accept the official “Tommy” designation, per your designation as such, when I first saw that Home Run monstrosity the first phrase I thought of (from my enclave in NorCal) was Einstein’s “spooky action at a distance”.

• Old Gator - Mar 28, 2012 at 12:16 PM

Yeah, and the funny thing is, he’s popularly given credit for the term but in fact when he called the theory of entanglement “spukhafte Fernwirkung he was actually being contemptuous of it. I love it though.

• Gamera the Brave - Mar 28, 2012 at 3:44 PM

I got a thumbs down for an Einstein reference? On HBT?
        Tough crowd…

• cur68 - Mar 28, 2012 at 6:20 PM

Wasn’t me. I admire that sort of thing and only regret out of jealousy because I didn’t think of it.

• Gamera the Brave - Mar 29, 2012 at 10:26 AM

Muchas gracias, cur.

14. yankeesgameday - Mar 28, 2012 at 11:35 AM

Same old, same old for the M’s: king Felix 8 innings, 6 strike outs, left the game with a 1-1 tie and got a no decision.

And for those of you following along in the Bronx: Jesus Montero was 0-4 with 3 lob.

No opinions here, just passing on facts.

• sportsdrenched.com - Mar 28, 2012 at 11:43 AM

I’m sure M’s fans are waiting for Pineada’s first start.

• APBA Guy - Mar 28, 2012 at 3:57 PM

Len, I saw part of the game, and it looked like Jesus was bit overanxious at the plate. But I could have been confused because the beloved A’s were playing in front of a full house, and that was completely disorienting.

Other than that, The King had it working, and McCarthy looked good also.

But if you combined those two offenses you wouldn’t get 600 runs scored this year.

15. kiwicricket - Mar 28, 2012 at 11:46 AM

I tried to substitute you with other things. Drink, women, other blog posts. I pined for you during this dark and stormy winter.
    I think I love you ATH. I really do mean that.

16. wonkypenguin - Mar 28, 2012 at 12:00 PM

ATH. ATH. ATH. ATH.

I think my heart rate actually just went down. You’d think I’d be excited. But it simply means all is right in the world again.

/exhales

• foreverchipper10 - Mar 28, 2012 at 12:38 PM

love the moniker.

17. geneparmasean - Mar 28, 2012 at 12:43 PM

Yoenis Cespedes is a real life Pedro Serrano.

18. loge23 - Mar 28, 2012 at 1:34 PM

This is an insult to baseball fans – A’s & M fans in particular.
    Japan has their own leagues and their own teams. Why is MLB pushing the season’s opener in March, in Japan??
    The opener belongs to baseball fans and the fans of the team opening (which always should be the Reds, btw). This stunt does little for the teams involved, their fans, or baseball fans in general.
    Bud, don’t you have anything to do for the Wilpons without ruining our opener?

• ajcardsfan - Mar 28, 2012 at 2:58 PM

Mo’ money, mo’ problems

• Hands Four - Mar 29, 2012 at 3:57 AM

>>This stunt does little for the teams involved, their fans, or baseball fans in general.
      What are you basing this on?
      You might have a different perspective if you’d followed actual coverage of the team’s visit to Japan. They’ve visited US troops, seen tsunami-devastated areas, conducted a baseball clinic, etc.
      This A’s fan is proud of the team for going and the goodwill they’ve spread, and is sure the players have benefited from the experience.
      Besides, the players and team have made out quite well financially thanks to MLB.
      What’s not to like?

• Hands Four - Mar 29, 2012 at 3:58 AM

sorry, should read “teams’ visit to Japan” – A’s and Mariners both.

• Hands Four - Mar 29, 2012 at 3:59 AM

Here’s Verducci on the benefit to MLB:

19. kevinbnyc - Mar 28, 2012 at 1:51 PM

ATH, poor parenting…looks like somebodys in the BSOHL

Pujols deal still worth it to Angels?
  1. I. Davis (3986)