B.J. Upton unlikely to be ready for Opening Day

Mar 28, 2012, 5:23 PM EDT

B.J. Upton AP

Any initial optimism about B.J. Upton making a speedy recovery following his outfield collision with Desmond Jennings two weeks ago is now gone, as the Rays center fielder admitted today that he’s unlikely to be ready for Opening Day.

Upton has played just once since the collision, logging a handful of innings in a minor-league game, and told Marc Topkin of the Tampa Bay Times that he’s not going to rush back:

If it doesn’t happen, so be it, there’s too much baseball to worry about one series of games. I just rather be healthy all year than try to rush back for a weekend or so.

The main issue from the collision is back tightness, which Upton said “won’t loosen up.” Sam Fuld is also injured and possibly facing shoulder surgery, so the Rays’ outfield will be thin initially.

1. charlutes - Mar 28, 2012 at 5:32 PM

HBT writers unlikely to remember there was an actual game played this morning.

• jimbo1949 - Mar 28, 2012 at 9:22 PM

Of the previous 25 posts today, how many more than 2 of them are needed to discuss the “actual game played this morning”?

2. gotampabay52 - Mar 28, 2012 at 6:14 PM

Bj suck up your so dam skinney bulk up we are waiting and now still waiting for your breakout year. Ps hit you hit better without dip in your mouth just saying

• cur68 - Mar 28, 2012 at 8:32 PM

urteamsux…is that…is that you??? It is, isn’t it. How’ve ya been? School going ok? Studying hard? I hope so. Re-visit the stuff on punctuation, kay? And, um, turn your spell checker on…and try reading it out loud before hitting “post comment”. Good luck.

• pisano - Mar 29, 2012 at 12:31 AM

cur68…. I hope you’re right, i’ve been waiting for his come back. I’m sure he’s got past the sixth grade. I’m hoping someone starts blasting the Rays, that will start the wheels rolling.

• cur68 - Mar 29, 2012 at 12:41 AM

Yeah. I kind of missed him, too. He’s become like a car reclamation project for me. If I treat him with kindness, understanding and a soupçon of direction I think I can get him punctuating, at least with periods. I think even spelling, at least the shorter words, might be possible, even if all he does is right click on the red underlined stuff and select the word he thinks is right. Next we will work on conjunctions.

• hittfamily - Mar 28, 2012 at 8:53 PM

The vitriol. Why? BJ is who he is. He has been disappointing, but far from a disappointment. Matt Bush was a disappointment. Dewan Brazelton was a disappointment.

He will not be enshrined in Cooperstown, but he is a good ballplayer, good for 4 WAR per season 80% of the time. There are plenty of 4 WAR per season players in Cooperstown, and Upton is just now hitting his prime.

25 HR, Great defense, and 40 SB are enough. More would be nice, but he is who he is. Somebody will give him a 4 year 50 million dollar contract next year, so we should enjoy not having Brandon Guyer as our left fielder this year.

3. foreverchipper10 - Mar 29, 2012 at 6:00 PM

Multiple sources on Twitter have Upton starting the year on the DL.

Orioles turn AL East on its head