Mar 28, 2012, 3:45 PM EDT
Travis Snider was the 14th overall pick in the 2006 draft and ranked among Baseball America‘s top 20 prospects in both 2008 and 2009, but the Blue Jays sent him to Triple-A yesterday despite being a 24-year-old with 877 plate appearances in the majors.
And it turns out other teams feel similarly about Snider, as Ken Rosenthal of FOXSports.com reports the Blue Jays “aren’t drawing much trade interest” in the corner outfielder because “rival clubs like Snider, but know the Jays are unlikely to move him when his value is down.”
Snider always crushed the ball in the minors despite being young for every level of competition, hitting .306 with 73 homers and a .901 OPS in 439 games, including .333 with 20 homers and a .957 OPS in 127 games at Triple-A. However, he’s hit just .248 with a .730 OPS in the big leagues while striking out 236 times in 232 games.
For now he’s fallen behind Eric Thames on the depth chart, but Snider is still young enough that the Blue Jays shouldn’t be anxious to sell him for pennies on the dollar just yet. Plenty of teams would be smart to give Toronto a call, though.
- Five Royals ejected in Sunday’s series finale against the Athletics 24
- White Sox will promote Carlos Rodon on Monday 5
- Another one bites the dust: Mets lose young catcher Travis d’Arnaud to fractured right hand 10
- National League GM says Phillies’ asking price for Cole Hamels hasn’t dropped “one bit” 11
- Giants receive their 2014 World Series championship rings 20
- Angels activate Garrett Richards for Sunday debut 2
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 38
- Video: Watch Kris Bryant get his first major league hit and RBI 12
- The Commissioner’s Office thinks that the Angels could indeed go after Josh Hamilton under his contract (153)
- “Why Ted Cruz is like the Atlanta Braves” (150)
- “We no longer need the terrorists. We’re now so good at terrorizing ourselves.” (143)
- Another argument in favor of making the DH universal (127)
- When it comes to Josh Hamilton, Arte Moreno is a craven opportunist, not a “smart businessman” (116)