Mar 28, 2012, 3:45 PM EDT
Travis Snider was the 14th overall pick in the 2006 draft and ranked among Baseball America‘s top 20 prospects in both 2008 and 2009, but the Blue Jays sent him to Triple-A yesterday despite being a 24-year-old with 877 plate appearances in the majors.
And it turns out other teams feel similarly about Snider, as Ken Rosenthal of FOXSports.com reports the Blue Jays “aren’t drawing much trade interest” in the corner outfielder because “rival clubs like Snider, but know the Jays are unlikely to move him when his value is down.”
Snider always crushed the ball in the minors despite being young for every level of competition, hitting .306 with 73 homers and a .901 OPS in 439 games, including .333 with 20 homers and a .957 OPS in 127 games at Triple-A. However, he’s hit just .248 with a .730 OPS in the big leagues while striking out 236 times in 232 games.
For now he’s fallen behind Eric Thames on the depth chart, but Snider is still young enough that the Blue Jays shouldn’t be anxious to sell him for pennies on the dollar just yet. Plenty of teams would be smart to give Toronto a call, though.
- Video: Joey Butler breaks up Carlos Carrasco’s no-hitter with two outs in the ninth inning 0
- Bill Stoneman taking over as Angels’ interim GM 8
- Jerry Dipoto loses power struggle with Mike Scioscia, steps down as Angels general manager 31
- Bobby Bonilla’s isn’t the only deferred money deal in the game. And isn’t even the worst. 48
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. 71
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM 75
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 46
- Rangers activate Josh Hamilton from disabled list, send prospect Joey Gallo to Triple-A 12
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (276)
- Joe Maddon is the latest manager to rip instant replay. He’s got a point. (110)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (76)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (75)