Mar 28, 2012, 3:45 PM EST
Travis Snider was the 14th overall pick in the 2006 draft and ranked among Baseball America‘s top 20 prospects in both 2008 and 2009, but the Blue Jays sent him to Triple-A yesterday despite being a 24-year-old with 877 plate appearances in the majors.
And it turns out other teams feel similarly about Snider, as Ken Rosenthal of FOXSports.com reports the Blue Jays “aren’t drawing much trade interest” in the corner outfielder because “rival clubs like Snider, but know the Jays are unlikely to move him when his value is down.”
Snider always crushed the ball in the minors despite being young for every level of competition, hitting .306 with 73 homers and a .901 OPS in 439 games, including .333 with 20 homers and a .957 OPS in 127 games at Triple-A. However, he’s hit just .248 with a .730 OPS in the big leagues while striking out 236 times in 232 games.
For now he’s fallen behind Eric Thames on the depth chart, but Snider is still young enough that the Blue Jays shouldn’t be anxious to sell him for pennies on the dollar just yet. Plenty of teams would be smart to give Toronto a call, though.
- How Commissioner Rob Manfred Can Make Baseball More Appealing 31
- Blue Jays cut off talks for Orioles executive Dan Duquette 34
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts 116
- Yankees reject A-Rod’s apology attempt 46
- Joe Posnanski: Remembering ‘Mr. Cub,’ Ernie Banks 17
- What they’re saying about the passing of Cubs legend Ernie Banks 7
- Alex Rodriguez recently met with incoming MLB commissioner Rob Manfred 15
- Ernie Banks, one of baseball’s greatest players and greatest ambassadors has died at age 83 75
- Bud Selig: The Greatest Commissioner in the History of Baseball (144)
- Max Scherzer’s seven-year deal with Nationals worth $210 million (119)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (117)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)
- The 2015 Braves have “gravitas” and “veteran leadership” and will have dirty uniforms. Just kill me now. (76)