Mar 28, 2012, 3:45 PM EDT
Travis Snider was the 14th overall pick in the 2006 draft and ranked among Baseball America‘s top 20 prospects in both 2008 and 2009, but the Blue Jays sent him to Triple-A yesterday despite being a 24-year-old with 877 plate appearances in the majors.
And it turns out other teams feel similarly about Snider, as Ken Rosenthal of FOXSports.com reports the Blue Jays “aren’t drawing much trade interest” in the corner outfielder because “rival clubs like Snider, but know the Jays are unlikely to move him when his value is down.”
Snider always crushed the ball in the minors despite being young for every level of competition, hitting .306 with 73 homers and a .901 OPS in 439 games, including .333 with 20 homers and a .957 OPS in 127 games at Triple-A. However, he’s hit just .248 with a .730 OPS in the big leagues while striking out 236 times in 232 games.
For now he’s fallen behind Eric Thames on the depth chart, but Snider is still young enough that the Blue Jays shouldn’t be anxious to sell him for pennies on the dollar just yet. Plenty of teams would be smart to give Toronto a call, though.
- Report: Zack Wheeler expected to make 2-3 starts in minors before joining Mets 5
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 99
- Astros vendor brings snow cones into bathroom stall, gets fired 54
- Don Mattingly will still be the Dodgers’ manager on Friday 18
- Jake Westbrook feeling lingering discomfort in right elbow 8
- MLB is putting players in camouflage uniforms on Memorial Day. Which is kinda weird. (117)
- Barry Bonds: Miguel Cabrera is the best … but not as good as me (113)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (99)
- Las Vegas police investigating Jose Canseco as a suspect in sexual assault case (79)
- Albert Pujols doesn’t matter anymore (74)
- Watch LIVE: Bruins-Rangers
- WATCH LIVE: Blackhawks look to even series with Red Wings
- PBT: Hibbert says Battier's knee to groin intentional
- OlyTalk: Lochte says Phelps will return soon
- CSN: Francona returns to Boston | Legacy?
- Tebow fact: He reminds Chuck Norris of Chuck Norris
- LeBron stuns Pacers with OT winner in Game 1