Mar 28, 2012, 12:48 PM EDT
So much for Cristian Guzman‘s comeback.
This morning the Indians released Guzman, who signed a minor-league deal last month after sitting out all of last season due to personal issues.
Guzman had been trying to win a bench spot, but the 34-year-old former All-Star shortstop has been sidelined by a hamstring injury and never impressed.
Paul Hoynes of the Cleveland Plain Dealer passes along word that the Phillies “might be interested” in the wake of seemingly every infielder in the entire organization getting hurt.
- Cubs acquire Austin Jackson from Mariners 21
- Unknown Cuban ballplayer sleeps outside of Dodger Stadium, hoping for a tryout 31
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 74
- Jake Arrieta no-hits the Dodgers with 12 strikeouts 32
- Blue Jays will name Mark Shapiro as the new team president 31
- Lance Lynn expects to make next scheduled start despite suffering ankle injury Saturday 2
- Cubs expected to call up Javier Baez on September 1 6
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 13
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (201)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (170)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (124)