Mar 28, 2012, 12:48 PM EST
So much for Cristian Guzman‘s comeback.
This morning the Indians released Guzman, who signed a minor-league deal last month after sitting out all of last season due to personal issues.
Guzman had been trying to win a bench spot, but the 34-year-old former All-Star shortstop has been sidelined by a hamstring injury and never impressed.
Paul Hoynes of the Cleveland Plain Dealer passes along word that the Phillies “might be interested” in the wake of seemingly every infielder in the entire organization getting hurt.
- Roy Halladay is retiring 53
- Tony La Russa Bobby Cox, Joe Torre all unanimously elected to the Hall of Fame 43
- Tony Blengino says recent report on Seattle front office is “just the tip of the iceberg” 60
- Rakuten Golden Eagles appear likely to allow Masahiro Tanaka’s departure to MLB 49
- 2013 Winter Meetings Preview 23
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners (260)
- Yankees agree to seven-year, $153M contract with free agent outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury (160)
- Report: Mariners willing to offer Robinson Cano a 10-year, $240 million deal (143)
- Report: Yankees have agreed to a three-year deal with Carlos Beltran (125)
- Brett Gardner is drawing “significant” trade interest (112)