Mar 28, 2012, 4:46 PM EST
Jed Lowrie, whose Red Sox career was repeatedly derailed by injuries prior to being traded to the Astros this winter, suffered a sprained right thumb diving back into second base today.
The throw kind of took him up the line a little bit and he just blocked the base and I slid right into him and jammed my thumb. When you’re expecting the base to be three feet further away and there’s a body there instead, that’s how things get jammed.
Hopefully it’s ice it a couple of days and I’m back out there. I’m going to go with that until they tell me otherwise. It’s stupid with five days left in spring training. I don’t think there’s any reason to block a base at any time, particularly at this time. I don’t think he’s trying to hurt me, but he’s a middle infielder. Stupid injuries like this happen when you block bases. Hopefully it’s nothing.
Lowrie went for X-rays and they came back negative, so he’s still in line to the Astros’ Opening Day shortstop.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 305
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 52
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (305)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” (86)