Mar 28, 2012, 4:46 PM EDT
Jed Lowrie, whose Red Sox career was repeatedly derailed by injuries prior to being traded to the Astros this winter, suffered a sprained right thumb diving back into second base today.
The throw kind of took him up the line a little bit and he just blocked the base and I slid right into him and jammed my thumb. When you’re expecting the base to be three feet further away and there’s a body there instead, that’s how things get jammed.
Hopefully it’s ice it a couple of days and I’m back out there. I’m going to go with that until they tell me otherwise. It’s stupid with five days left in spring training. I don’t think there’s any reason to block a base at any time, particularly at this time. I don’t think he’s trying to hurt me, but he’s a middle infielder. Stupid injuries like this happen when you block bases. Hopefully it’s nothing.
Lowrie went for X-rays and they came back negative, so he’s still in line to the Astros’ Opening Day shortstop.
- Alex Rodriguez is the all-time AL RBI champion. Sorta. 74
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 83
- Cardinals GM John Mozeliak: Matt Adams out 3-4 months, possibly the year, with torn quad 60
- Bryce Harper leads in the first round of National League All-Star voting 29
- Buster Olney: The Marlins should hire A-Rod to be their next manager 53
- Breaking down the Braves-Dodgers trade 20
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 34
- So that Juan Uribe trade to the Braves is back on … 11