Mar 28, 2012, 4:46 PM EDT
Jed Lowrie, whose Red Sox career was repeatedly derailed by injuries prior to being traded to the Astros this winter, suffered a sprained right thumb diving back into second base today.
The throw kind of took him up the line a little bit and he just blocked the base and I slid right into him and jammed my thumb. When you’re expecting the base to be three feet further away and there’s a body there instead, that’s how things get jammed.
Hopefully it’s ice it a couple of days and I’m back out there. I’m going to go with that until they tell me otherwise. It’s stupid with five days left in spring training. I don’t think there’s any reason to block a base at any time, particularly at this time. I don’t think he’s trying to hurt me, but he’s a middle infielder. Stupid injuries like this happen when you block bases. Hopefully it’s nothing.
Lowrie went for X-rays and they came back negative, so he’s still in line to the Astros’ Opening Day shortstop.
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 22
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 83
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 61
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (83)