Mar 28, 2012, 4:46 PM EDT
Jed Lowrie, whose Red Sox career was repeatedly derailed by injuries prior to being traded to the Astros this winter, suffered a sprained right thumb diving back into second base today.
The throw kind of took him up the line a little bit and he just blocked the base and I slid right into him and jammed my thumb. When you’re expecting the base to be three feet further away and there’s a body there instead, that’s how things get jammed.
Hopefully it’s ice it a couple of days and I’m back out there. I’m going to go with that until they tell me otherwise. It’s stupid with five days left in spring training. I don’t think there’s any reason to block a base at any time, particularly at this time. I don’t think he’s trying to hurt me, but he’s a middle infielder. Stupid injuries like this happen when you block bases. Hopefully it’s nothing.
Lowrie went for X-rays and they came back negative, so he’s still in line to the Astros’ Opening Day shortstop.
- Frank Wren fired as Braves GM, John Hart to take over on an interim basis 41
- AND DOWN THE STRETCH THEY COME! Sizing up the final week of the regular season 36
- Must-Click Link: Derek Jeter opens up. Seriously, he really does. 42
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 57
- Must-click link: Tommy Harper and the Red Sox’ racist past 56
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 34
- Matt Garza ejected after hitting Andrew McCutchen a second time 34
- Tigers hang on for second straight win against Royals 8
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (123)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (105)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)