Jed Lowrie injures thumb, gets angry at Omar Infante for blocking base

Mar 28, 2012, 4:46 PM EDT

Brad Mills, Jed Lowrie AP

Jed Lowrie, whose Red Sox career was repeatedly derailed by injuries prior to being traded to the Astros this winter, suffered a sprained right thumb diving back into second base today.

And he’s upset with Marlins infielder Omar Infante for blocking the base, telling Brian McTaggart of MLB.com:

The throw kind of took him up the line a little bit and he just blocked the base and I slid right into him and jammed my thumb. When you’re expecting the base to be three feet further away and there’s a body there instead, that’s how things get jammed.

Hopefully it’s ice it a couple of days and I’m back out there. I’m going to go with that until they tell me otherwise. It’s stupid with five days left in spring training. I don’t think there’s any reason to block a base at any time, particularly at this time. I don’t think he’s trying to hurt me, but he’s a middle infielder. Stupid injuries like this happen when you block bases. Hopefully it’s nothing.

Lowrie went for X-rays and they came back negative, so he’s still in line to the Astros’ Opening Day shortstop.

1. mdpickles - Mar 28, 2012 at 4:53 PM

Wow, with an attitude like that, I doubt Lowrie will ever reach his potential. That potential being a utilityman, of course.

2. pjmitch - Mar 28, 2012 at 4:53 PM

Maybe I’m old school, but I have no sympathy for guys sliding head first (I realize he was diving back).

Secondbaseman or others don’t block the base as much when you are coming in cleats first. (again I realize he was diving back)

3. whatthehellisansky - Mar 28, 2012 at 4:55 PM

soooo im guessing he was Out?

4. sabathiawouldbegoodattheeighthtoo - Mar 28, 2012 at 5:15 PM

You can take the player out of Boston, but…

5. patg1041 - Mar 28, 2012 at 6:01 PM

Blocking the base is one of those things that I absolutely despise, and is one reason why I am completely ok with collisions at homeplate. You want to block a base? Fine. But it comes with a price. What Lowrie should have done was discreetly told Infante that if he did that again, he (Lowrie) is leaving the field with a chunk of Infante’s leg.

• djpostl - Mar 28, 2012 at 6:09 PM

Except that his fragile a** would probably suffer a season ending vagina pull if he went in feet first.

• churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged - Mar 28, 2012 at 7:05 PM

I laughed way more than I should have.

• lostsok - Mar 28, 2012 at 11:43 PM

I hate whiny players who blame others for their suckiness.

• lostsok - Mar 28, 2012 at 11:43 PM

Infante’s stool is a better ballplayer than a whiner like Lowrie will ever be. Lowrie should apologize to Infante for shaming the game and try to learn how to be a real baseball player.

Blocking the base is what you do when players dive back. You never played, huh? It’s obvious.

6. ezthinking - Mar 28, 2012 at 6:19 PM

Cut his ass.

7. lostsok - Mar 28, 2012 at 11:40 PM

Wow, what a whiner. And a pansy. No wonder he’s such a bust the Sox would rather play a miserable fielder like Aviles.

8. themajorleagueblog - Mar 29, 2012 at 3:14 AM

Lowrie needs to rethink his words, because, I see a callow player who isn’t at where he could easily be yet.

9. ray1950 - Mar 29, 2012 at 4:58 AM

Another injury? Looks like Jed is in mid-season form.

10. homelanddefense - Mar 29, 2012 at 11:14 AM

This kid was NEVER healthy in Boston. They tried to so hard to make him an everyday player but he refused to stay healthy.

11. blabidibla - Mar 29, 2012 at 12:05 PM

Sounds to me like we’re trying to make a story out of nothing. There isn’t a reason to block that base. Infante was out of position, as Lowrie said, because the throw took him there. Didn’t sound like Lowrie was angry at all. he stated the facts.

Colby-on-Colby crime in Toronto