Mar 28, 2012, 4:16 PM EDT
Jamie Moyer is still fighting for a spot on the Rockies’ pitching staff, but the other elderly gentleman in spring training, 44-year-old Omar Vizquel, has secured a place on the Blue Jays’ bench for Opening Day.
Vizquel no longer has the range to play shortstop regularly and hit just .251 with a .287 on-base percentage and .305 slugging percentage in 58 games for the White Sox last season, but obviously the Blue Jays aren’t keeping him solely for his on-field production at this point.
He signed a minor-league deal in January and this will be his 24th season in the majors.
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 21
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game 171
- The Winners and Losers at the Trade Deadline 70
- 2015 MLB Trade Deadline Tracker 11
- Report: Yoenis Cespedes heading to the New York Mets 37
- The Blue Jays pick up Ben Revere from the Phillies 65
- Cubs trade for Dan Haren 28
- Cardinals add more bullpen help, get Jonathan Broxton from Brewers 13
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (172)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (112)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (90)