Phillies “know how much” Cole Hamels is going to cost

Mar 28, 2012, 7:51 PM EDT

hamels wide ap AP

There may be a positive development in the ongoing long-term contract negotiations between the Phillies and left-hander Cole Hamels. Or maybe not.

According to Jim Salisbury of CSNPhilly.com, the Phillies “know how much” Hamels will cost annually “and are set to pay it.” But the Philadelphia front office would rather do a four-year deal and the 28-year-old southpaw of course wants more.

Hamels registered a stellar 2.79 ERA and 0.99 WHIP in 32 outings last year for the National League East champions, fanning 194 batters and issuing only 44 walks across 216 innings of work. With another ace-like season, the native of Southern California could demand well over $100 million on the open market. And it’s probably a safe assumption that the Dodgers’ new ownership group is going to have interest.

1. phillyphever - Mar 28, 2012 at 8:02 PM

So basically, it’s a matter of years, not the money. I would go at least 6 with a player option for a 7th with Hamels. He’s worth it.

BTW, the Dodgers should take care of Kershaw first before thinking about Hamels. If they sign Hamels first before taking care of Kershaw, it’s gonna cost them a lot more to extend him than it would before signing Hamels.

• uyf1950 - Mar 28, 2012 at 8:28 PM

The years equate to money.

• djpostl - Mar 28, 2012 at 8:28 PM

LA is 50 million in change under the luxury tax threshold. They can afford to sign Hamels and Cain PLUS lock up Kershaw long-term at a high rate and still be good.

Not saying they should. Not saying they will. But they could.

• Kevin S. - Mar 28, 2012 at 8:59 PM

Well more than $50 million. They have $92 million committed for 2013, when the threshold will be $189 million, with Ethier being their only key FA. We don’t know if the tax is their limit (and I rather doubt it will be right away), but they can pretty much bid with abandon on any elite FA who strikes their fancy.

• djpostl - Mar 28, 2012 at 9:45 PM

Yup. They have a new TV deal they can get done, using the Angels $3 billion deal they got last year too. Add in Magic being part of the ownership group and good lord, they can be a force in the free agent market and stay under the luxury tax threshold.

2. randygnyc - Mar 28, 2012 at 8:18 PM

10 years, 31 million a year, ALL GUARANTEED. He’s just worth it. (plus performance bonuses of 1 million per start). Hurry up!!!!

• cltjump - Mar 28, 2012 at 8:50 PM

I reaaaaaaally hope that was sarcasm…….

• stex52 - Mar 29, 2012 at 12:13 PM

Of course it was.

3. uyf1950 - Mar 28, 2012 at 8:31 PM

Four (4) years at a little of $20MM isn’t going to get it done. They are going to have to go at least 6 years/$132MM minimum with possible some sort of 7th year option. If the Phillies don’t do it some other team will.

4. schmedley69 - Mar 28, 2012 at 8:55 PM

The Cardinals were once in a similar situation with a LH pitcher about the same age as Hamels. They decided that they didn’t want to pay him, so they traded him to the Phillies where he went on to win over 300 games on his was to Cooperstown. I would hate to see a reverse-Steve Carlton situation and watch Hamels go on to do great things with another team for the next decade+. Just get it done, Amaro. He is worth the money.

• hittfamily - Mar 28, 2012 at 10:23 PM

How much do you want them to spend on their #3 starter?

Realistically, 20 mil per would be better spent on a few bats with Utley, Rollins, and Howard all in decline, and Dom Brown a big question mark. Eithier and a real #3 starter, not another #1, would be a better investment.

• phillyphreak - Mar 29, 2012 at 7:46 AM

So a #3 starter and another 30 year old outfielder is a better investment than one of the best pitchers in baseball? Color me skeptical….

• Kevin S. - Mar 29, 2012 at 8:06 AM

Hamels’ ranking on their depth chart shouldn’t have any impact on his value to the team. Maybe if they had an average-ish guy making the minimum ready to step in for him I could see that argument, but it doesn’t make much difference whether you spend $20 or so million on a five-win Hamels or a three-win bat and a two-win pitcher. Oh, and if Ethier’s your target, you aren’t getting a #3 on the FA market for the residual value between what Ethier and Hamels sign for.

5. gabrielthursday - Mar 28, 2012 at 10:18 PM

The Phillies can’t say they’re prepared to pay Hamels’ price tag when they are so far apart in terms of years. Effectively, they’re tens of millions apart.

6. jason1214 - Mar 28, 2012 at 11:57 PM

I think they settle on 5 @ 22 and add option year to meet in middle.

7. uyf1950 - Mar 29, 2012 at 5:34 AM

Hamels just turned 28 years old on Dec. 27th. That means he will hit FA and through his 1st full playing year he will only be 29. IF he’s smart and I’m sure he and his agent are, no way they settle for anything less then 6 years guaranteed. That means through the life of a 6 year guaranteed contract he will only be 34 pitching in the final year of that contract. Also, I think some sort of a 7th vesting year is a must. He’s to young and to good to settle for anything less. Keep in mind he will be the premier FA pitcher of his class and a lefty.

8. Jonny 5 - Mar 29, 2012 at 8:39 AM

I wish people would stop acting like He’s a deadlocked FA with other teams on his horizon when he isn’t even a FA yet. Seriously though, what do the Dodgers have to do with Hamels? NADA.

Look people, Cole Hamels is the most valuable commodity the Phillies now have. He’s the youngest of their good pitching staff and has the best chances of being the Ace of the staff when the rest of the team is full of fresh faces (besides Howard who will apparently always be the first baseman until he can’t move anymore) The Phillies, if they want to be competitive into the future sign Hamels and if they can’t afford to, they trade OTHER players. He’s always been a Phillie, and has said many times he wants to remain one too.

• bravojawja - Mar 29, 2012 at 9:26 AM

Pujols had always been a Cardinal and had said many times he wanted to remain one, too, but somebody threw him a ton of money for a bunch of years and now he’s in Anaheim.

If memory serves, we were having this same conversation about Pujols before last season. The difference is that Philly has the money to spend and, quite frankly, should pony up. I’d be careful about that 7th year, though. Those 7 year deals for pitchers don’t seem to work out so well.

• Jonny 5 - Mar 29, 2012 at 10:02 AM

I have to agree with everything you said there, but we can’t really compare the Cards/ Pujols with the Phills/ Hamels. Two different teams/ pocket books. All a fan can do is hope everything comes together right? I’m just sick of everyone pretending there’s a better chance of the man ending up on another team. I just don’t see it that way.

• bravojawja - Mar 29, 2012 at 11:59 AM

You’re right, the comparison isn’t perfect (they never are). You’re also right about him more likely staying with his current team. That, I think, is a general rule unless the player or team has specifically said otherwise (like Gary Sheffield every time he was a FA, or sort of like Prince Fielder this offseason). It’s the Incumbent Rule of free agency.

I would guess they go 6 yrs, maybe with a mutual option for the 7th. He’s still young enough that the 6th year is still a decent bet.

• Jonny 5 - Mar 29, 2012 at 12:29 PM

My guess is 5 yrs @ 125M. Maybe 6 yrs. I do know signing any pitcher to a LTD is very risky.

• uyf1950 - Mar 29, 2012 at 10:04 AM

Jonny 5 – and the Phillies have said all along they want him. Yet they offer him something in the neighborhood of $20MM per for just a 4 year commitment. I realize it’s called negotiations for a reason but seriously 4 years. That’s bordering on insulting for a pitcher of his caliber and age in today’s baseball market.

Heck a 33 year old Mark Buehrle signed just this past winter with the Marlins for 4 yrs/$58MM. You can’t tell me Hamels isn’t worth at LEAST TWICE those dollars and at least 6 years. Yet the Phillies basically come to him with an offer of 4 yrs/$80MM +/-. That’s just my opinion.

• Jonny 5 - Mar 29, 2012 at 12:28 PM

They HAVE to offer him that so they don’t offend Roy y’know. That man is a saint for what he signed for. BTW, where did you hear 20M per anyway? I haven’t heard that. I haven’t heard anything when it comes to dollars actually.

• uyf1950 - Mar 29, 2012 at 12:33 PM

Jonny 5 – I saw this link on MLBTR last night.

• Jonny 5 - Mar 29, 2012 at 2:07 PM

“in excess of” 20 M.

C’mon UYF, with all your wishful thinking!! J/K it happens to the best of us ;)

• uyf1950 - Mar 29, 2012 at 2:30 PM

Jonny 5 – I saw the “in excess of $20MM” comment. But by my way of thinking and like you said probably not much more then $20MM per since Halladay’s per year is $20MM and Lee’s deal is for $24MM per. So even though technically the article said “in excess of $20MM” I’m more then willing to go on record as saying it won’t be much more then the $20MM on a per year basis that the Phillies think “they know how much it will cost” to sign Hamels.

So I stand by my original comment 4 years/ $80+/- doesn’t come close. Like I said look at what Buehrle just recently signed for and tell me Hamels is going to settle for something in the area of 4 years, ain’t gonna happen. And anything less then at least $120MM total and I think it’s going to have to be north of that.

This is just my opinion. But Halladay’s and Lee’s contracts work against the Phillies re-signing Hamels. They don’t want to “insult” Halladay by offering Hamel’s more money on a per year basis and they probably don’t think they should give him more guaranteed years then they gave Lee, 5 years. Both those factors work against the Phillies if they stick to that way of thinking in any negotiations with Lee and his agent.

• uyf1950 - Mar 29, 2012 at 2:33 PM

sorry, my bad. last line should read “negotiations with Hamels and his agent”.

One day this site will get an edit comment.

• Jonny 5 - Mar 29, 2012 at 4:09 PM

UYF, By the looks of this there may already be a deal in place. It seems that the Phills have much to lose if they don’t play with this until the regular season kicks off. Kinda like A-Gon.

• uyf1950 - Mar 29, 2012 at 10:00 PM

Jonny 5 – Sounds like a reasonable conclusion. If there is a deal I’ll be interested to see what it is. I have no doubt it’s going to be for more then 4 years, though.

• martywinn - Mar 29, 2012 at 1:44 PM

That didn’t take long, Howard already can’t move. Too bad the contract isn’t over yet, or even started.

9. patjams - Mar 29, 2012 at 1:45 PM

Two words – Barry Zito…

Pitching vs. history in NL wild card game
  1. D. Jeter (2985)