Progressive Field is progressive

Mar 28, 2012, 2:30 PM EDT

Progressive Field

Progressive in terms of energy anyway: the Indians installed a wind turbine on the roof of the ballpark. And, in addition to alternative energy, it will provide entertainment:

With the turbine installed and lit from within by colored LED lights, the Indians will turn next to engaging fans with interactive digital kiosks about wind energy. Fans will be able to pedal away on stationary bikes installed around the ballpark to try and generate as much power as the turbine.

Clean energy! Making Ohioans lose all that beer and bratwurst weight! Why, if they get rid of their racist mascot, the Indians will be the most forward-thinking team in baseball!

1. justinreds - Mar 28, 2012 at 2:34 PM

O-H (pause to catch breath) I-O

2. Lukehart80 - Mar 28, 2012 at 2:50 PM

And with the money they save, next year Cole Hamels will be pitching for them on opening day!

• illbringdabeers - Mar 28, 2012 at 3:48 PM

Cole Hamels won a World Series with Philly and is from Southern Cali. He will either be pitching for the Phillies or Dodgers. He would never go to cleveland, sorry

• Lukehart80 - Mar 28, 2012 at 5:09 PM

That is a keen insight. Perhaps next time you can use your powers to detect sarcasm. I don’t think there’s a single Indians’ fan who think Cole Hamels, or any other marquee free agent, is coming to Cleveland.

• majmayhem - Mar 28, 2012 at 6:31 PM

Phillies or Dodgers??? That’s it? Are the Yankees too thrifty to be included in any more free agent signings? I mean seriously, the gall of some people… If the Yankees aren’t included in every breath of a potential free agent signing, someone hasn’t been doing their research.

3. aiede - Mar 28, 2012 at 2:51 PM

Are we allowed to make the obligatory “the team’s no longer the only thing that blows at Progessive Field” joke?

• ptfu - Mar 28, 2012 at 3:33 PM

Work hard, generate little power, spin your wheels and go nowhere. Fans on stationary bikes or the team on the field (and in the standings)?

Insert joke here about “power” hitters and getting one in one’s wheelhouse.

The energy kiosks should end with “This information has been brought to you by…” ***pause, LOADING PLEASE WAIT*** “Christ, I can’t find it. To hell with it.” Come on, it had to be said, the movie’s about the Indians for dog’s sake.

Thanks, folks, I’ll be here all week. You’ve been great, and don’t forget to tip your bartender!

4. blantoncollier - Mar 28, 2012 at 3:47 PM

Glad to see Larry Dolan spent money on something to generate power. Since he didnt sign a hitter!

5. cintiphil - Mar 28, 2012 at 4:05 PM

When teams do things which are politically correct, or try to act in a manner to indoctrinate people at the park rather than concentrate on baseball, then it is over for them. The Indians will probably amount to nothing anyway, so I suppose why not do this. Very few people will be in the park to watch the show anyway, with the season they are going to have.

• hittfamily - Mar 28, 2012 at 5:12 PM

When I hear or read “indoctrinate”, I usually tune out to whatever that person is saying. This instance is no different.

6. mybrunoblog - Mar 28, 2012 at 5:13 PM

Wind/turbine energy is as useful as a lamp on a beach but it makes a few tree huggers get warm smiles when they hear about this BS.

7. wickethewok - Mar 28, 2012 at 5:42 PM

I didn’t realize the “fuzzy, fuchsia-colored mascot” Slider was a racist: http://cleveland.indians.mlb.com/cle/fan_forum/slider.jsp

• Lukehart80 - Mar 29, 2012 at 12:54 AM

Well, in those pictures he does seem to be hanging out with only white fans.

• stlouis1baseball - Mar 29, 2012 at 11:26 AM

Yeah really Wok. When I hear people call a Mascot “racist” it’s hard for me to take anything they say seriously from that moment going forward. I really like the Girl Scouts and think they do great things (in addition to the cookies of course). With this in mind…I don’t think we need to raise a nation of them either cause’ that what a “racist mascot” remark makes me think of.
      Oh the Children! Think of the Children!

8. bigtrav425 - Mar 28, 2012 at 11:20 PM

our mascot is not racist….maybe in your opinion it is.but your opinion is wrong

• motherscratcher23 - Mar 29, 2012 at 10:27 AM

I was born, raised, and live in Cleveland. I’m a HUGE Indians fan.

Chief Wahoo is a racist caricature. He just is. People how argue otherwise just sound silly. I don’t think the people who drew him way back when were bad people, nor do I think they intended any harm.

But it is what it is…and what it is is offensive to a group of people too small for anyone to give a crap about. It’s time for a change. The sooner the better.

And don’t come back at me with that ridiculous Loius Sockalexis story. It’s BS.

9. latchbeam - Mar 29, 2012 at 12:23 AM

Chief Wahoo is racist? Who does he hate??

10. stlouis1baseball - Mar 29, 2012 at 11:35 AM

The Cardinals are prejudiced against the Blue Jays and Orioles. The Mariners kill Marlins.
    The Pirates kill the Mariners. The White Sox are racist agains the Red Sox.
    I also get really worried when the Rangers play the Braves in any Spring Training or Interleague games cause’ who knows what could happen. Again…think of the Children! The Children people!
    If we don’t think of the Children…who will? Please…please…please…think of the Children!

11. brownsapologist - Mar 31, 2012 at 5:41 AM

Never known Slider to be a racist. Might have an occasional run-in with a Phanatic but who wouldn’t. Those people are all trash.

Patience finally paying off for Royals fans
  1. R. Castillo (2827)