Reds reliever Nick Masset to begin season on disabled list

Mar 28, 2012, 2:14 PM EDT

Masset_Nick

HardballTalk has turned into RedsBullpenTalk today, so here’s the latest: Nick Masset has been diagnosed with shoulder inflammation and will begin the season on the disabled list, according to John Fay of the Cincinnati Enquirer.

In theory at least Masset was in the mix for the closer job, but that was always a long shot even if manager Dusty Baker doesn’t trust Sean Marshall in the role.

Baker told Fay that Masset will be shut down for a week and “hopefully he’ll miss a minimal amount of time” with the injury to his rotator cuff.

Masset originally felt soreness on March 7, sat out 12 days, returned to make two appearances, and was shut down again.

No wonder the Reds are working out Mike Gonzalez yesterday.

1. cur68 - Mar 28, 2012 at 2:25 PM

Dang you Dusty! Dang you to heck!

….what? It makes me feel better when I see that there. I like routine.

2. justinreds - Mar 28, 2012 at 2:35 PM

Maybe the starting rotation will just throw a complete game everyday. That would be awesome.

• blacubed - Mar 28, 2012 at 2:43 PM

If the starting rotation throws 162 complete games then Dusty could save the bullpen for the playoffs like he did last year!

3. cintiphil - Mar 28, 2012 at 3:43 PM

This is just about too much to bear. I cannot blame the Duster for this, but it is not as simple as he makes it sound. There is no guarantee that Masset will be “fine” in a few days or weeks for that matter. Shoulder injuries seem to nag players the entire season. I surely don’t know the solution, however to minimize it is not the answer. Walt had better get going on finding a replacement just in case. This could mean a very poor start to begin the season. Too bad for the Reds, because they can’t afford to fall too far behind the birds early on.

4. brucewaynewins - Mar 28, 2012 at 4:56 PM

Call me crazy, but as a Reds this is better news than we’ve been getting. I’ll take one of our worst pitchers of 2011 on the DL over someone who is/might be/will be among our best for 2012.

I’m fine with him staying on the DL for as loooooooooooooooooooong as he needs. Milk it please.

5. check7734 - Mar 28, 2012 at 5:36 PM

I don’t get the justification of blaming Dusty on this. But those who say Masset injury is good is just flat out wrong! He is a decent bullpen piece that is suffering from Bray’s nagging injury Madson being out for the year and now Masset. This not only screws the bullpen but pretty much guarantees Chapman to the bullpen wasting another year of his contract. Which also means we get another solid year of Bronson’s inability of being a starter (why we signed Bronson I still don’t know).

• stlouis1baseball - Mar 29, 2012 at 12:08 PM

You signed Bronson cause’ the dude is a workhorse like no other.
      When you go 12 – 15…15 – 14…14 – 15…serious innings eater.

Three legends off to Cooperstown