Sean Marshall, unlike Dusty Baker, is sure he can thrive as the Reds’ closer

Mar 28, 2012, 11:51 AM EDT

Cincinnati Reds Photo Day Getty Images

Dusty Baker may be unsure if Sean Marshall can step into the closer role for the injured Ryan Madson, but Marshall’s performance over the past two seasons suggests he’d be fantastic in the ninth inning and yesterday the left-hander made it clear that he’d “like the opportunity to pitch in that role.”

Part of Baker’s apparent hesitation comes from wondering if Marshall would do well pitching three or four days in a row, to which Marshall told Mark Sheldon of MLB.com: “I’ve definitely pitched at least three days in a row and been hot and ready to pitch a fourth game, too, and felt good. … I’m more than capable of doing it.”

He wants the role, he’s fine with the potential workload, and he’s got a 2.45 ERA, 169/42 K/BB ratio, and .222 opponents’ batting average in 145 innings since 2010.

1. stlouis1baseball - Mar 28, 2012 at 12:01 PM

Okay…where you at Metalhead? We anxiously await your anti-Dusty Baker/Walt Jockety comment.
    Dusty won’t utilize him in the Closer role cause’ he isn’t a “Veteran.”
    Walt will attempt to discourage Dusty from using him in said role because Marshall
    isn’t a “washed up ex-Cardinal.” Something along those lines.

• cur68 - Mar 28, 2012 at 12:06 PM

Hey! Don’t put metal off his stride. I had to give him a pep-post the other day. I’ve come to rely on his comments like I rely on the squirrels to rob the bird feeder. It wouldn’t be the same Reds post without his Anti-Dusty take.

• metalhead65 - Mar 28, 2012 at 12:58 PM

I am all for it ,why hasn’t any other manager come to realize that 4 days in a row is what relievers need? why baby these guys? dusty is the new larussa with this ingenius plan!think of the money the small market reds can save simply by having these guys do what they are paid for right? besides according to you guys who do not follow the reds or dusty’s record with pitchers he does not cause injury to pitchers by over working them. and forget the 2 examples of him I gave you of using cordero and chapman 4 days in a row last year,I just made them up to prove my point. that never happened,they just were not man enough to handle the workload right? and I made up the stuff about the ex-cards to,they have all been all star signings who helped the reds win impressivly like the renteria signing last year right? and the trade for edmonds the year before is what put the reds over the top right? his injury while running the bases during a home run trot inspired the team to win the division right? and if the reds medical team had not ruined the poor career he would have led them to the world series that year right? and ludwick is having a impressive spring having rediscovered that magic stroke he had in 2008 right? it was worth 2.5 million! they should have paid him more since graciously accepted the chance to impart his veteran wisdom on the lowly reds. I am so gla I can depend on you guys for all knowledge and enlightment on my team.

• cur68 - Mar 28, 2012 at 1:10 PM

You seem to feel I am against your point, metal. I’m more or less indifferent to it, actually. Baker had no worse a track record than many other managers and his is better than Leyland’s as far as innings pitched goes. However he’s on the record to being pig headed about certain pitcher related stats and was around for a certain amount of harm to some very good pitchers. I could take it either way, in fact. I tend to take Mark Fletcher’s view, over at AOL, on it:

But, as far as Reds news goes, I just like to see your name in the comments section of these posts, that’s all. Same way I appreciate it when salmon come back to spawn, deer will lick salt, a platypus will have sex “platypus-style”: its comforting to know some things are a constant. Cheers.

• stlouis1baseball - Mar 28, 2012 at 2:14 PM

Like the Sun rising in the East and setting in the West. Thanks Metalhead!

2. nolasoxfan2012 - Mar 28, 2012 at 12:10 PM

Hopefully Dusty realizes most pitchers don’t do well pitching 4 games in a row. The whole arm recovery thing, you know.

3. Joe - Mar 28, 2012 at 12:29 PM

This is sooooo Dusty Baker, being concerned about overworking a pitcher.

4. drewsylvania - Mar 28, 2012 at 2:15 PM

Then Marshall should close. Dusty can be the setup guy.

• WhenMattStairsIsKing - Mar 28, 2012 at 5:19 PM

Hahahahaha. “Let’s solve this right now. I pitch the 8th, Marshall closes, end of story. I’ll throw my new ‘toothpick ball.’”

5. cintiphil - Mar 28, 2012 at 3:58 PM

Please Meatball, stop. You are making us all look bad.

6. nostradamus4192 - Mar 28, 2012 at 9:40 PM

The Dusty running pitchers into the ground talk is so tired. I know he’s taken the wrap Wood and Prior,but weren’t they not linked to ped’s? That may likely played as big of a role as Dusty’s workload to their injury issues. Other than those two hat pitchers has he allegedly ruined? Reds fans are lucky to have him. He’s had winning teams everywhere he’s been, won Two manager of year awards. I just don’t get the haters. I do occasionally question some in game decisions, but do you remember the days of Narron, Miley, Boone, McKannon, Ray Knight, etc.

This was 'the perfect baseball game'
  1. T. Wood (5186)