Mar 28, 2012, 10:30 AM EDT
This has virtually zero baseball significance, but some people like dynasties, so we pass it along: the Yankees have released Preston Mattingly, son of Don.
In six seasons in the minors, Mattingly has put up a line of .232/.276./335. Both his father’s current employer and his father’s former employer released him, so you have to figure that’s it for him.
At least as a player. Maybe he can be Magic Johnson’s special assistant for Mattingly-relations or something.
- Playoff Reset: The American League Wild Card Game 19
- REPORT: The Astros to name A.J. Hinch their new manager today 20
- Twins fire manager Ron Gardenhire 35
- Pouliot’s 2014 American League awards picks 19
- Previewing the 2014 Playoffs 79
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 84
- Reds beat Pirates behind Johnny Cueto, hand National League Central title to St. Louis 20
- Video: Steven Souza Jr. makes sensational catch to secure Jordan Zimmermann’s no-no 24
- Hunter Pence dropped a bunch of F-bombs in his postgame speech. Good. (116)
- Derek Jeter’s final game in Yankee Stadium could be cancelled because of rain (85)
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights (84)
- Previewing the 2014 Playoffs (79)
- Barry Bonds discovered to be “glassing” — it’s just as bad as you think (79)