The Yankees sign Jack Cust

Mar 28, 2012, 1:00 PM EST

Houston Astros Photo Day Getty Images

Sweeny Murti of WFAN reports that the Yankees have signed erstwhile man-crush, Jack Cust to a minor league deal.

I probably said all I need to ever write about Cust yesterday. But for what it’s worth, he hit .213/.344/.329 last year. So if he’s gonna see any time in the Bronx this year, it will likely mean that Raul Ibanez and/or Andruw Jones were hit by a bus.

1. yankeesfanlen - Mar 28, 2012 at 1:07 PM

OMG! Sterling must be creaming his jeans, he’s babbled about him for a few years now.
    Another in a long line of Nick Johnsons, Lance Berkmans, etc..
    Keep Andruw and Raul off all portions of the MTA!

• vivabear - Mar 28, 2012 at 2:02 PM

I’d rather have Cust than Ibanez…he had a 94 OPS+ in 270 PAs last year, .344 OBP. Ibanez had a 91 OPS+ and a .293 OBP. Ibanez did outslug Cust .419 to .329. Which is a horrible slg %, but he was also in Safeco. I would expect that to be much better playing a lot of games in Yankee Stadium.

2. WhenMattStairsIsKing - Mar 28, 2012 at 1:12 PM

If Cust is insurance for Ibanez, over Damon and Guerrero, I will pee myself laughing. Right here. In my chair. It ain’t even a thang.

• whatthehellisansky - Mar 28, 2012 at 1:18 PM

1. Cust is definitely cheaper than those guys.
      2. You think Damon/Guerrero would take a minor league assignment? (Btw – Last time i checked minor league hits dont count towards Johnnys chase for 3000.)

• WhenMattStairsIsKing - Mar 28, 2012 at 1:21 PM

Delino DeShields would be just as effective as Cust. Go get Casey Blake for crying out loud.

I’m not suggesting Vlad or Johnny accept a minor league deal. I am thinking Cashman would have been better off giving one of them a million bucks on a MLB deal instead.

• stlouis1baseball - Mar 28, 2012 at 1:19 PM

No kidding Matt. Hell…they should have signed YOU instead of Jack.
      And for the record…Women “pee” and Men “piss.”

3. cur68 - Mar 28, 2012 at 1:14 PM

I’m still having trouble with Cust as your man-crush, Craig. Seriously, in world where Roger Bernadina is walking around, you pick Cust? No accounting for taste, I guess.

• WhenMattStairsIsKing - Mar 28, 2012 at 1:22 PM

Or Mark DeRosa. Or David DeJesus. Total man-crush material.

• cur68 - Mar 28, 2012 at 1:24 PM

Yeah. Cust is like a 6, maybe 7 on a good day, if he’s shaved. Those other guys are all strong eights.

• stex52 - Mar 28, 2012 at 1:35 PM

I find this whole line of conversation a little alarming. Go drink a beer, fix a car, and watch a hockey game.

• WhenMattStairsIsKing - Mar 28, 2012 at 1:37 PM

Yes, let’s not be progressively open, Stex. Even in jokes.

• cur68 - Mar 28, 2012 at 1:41 PM

Don’t be judgin’, Sue Ellen. We just acknowledging the well known, but poorly studied, “man-crush” phenomena. I bet if backed into a corner even a guy from South Texas can admit he’s got more than a passing interest in certain athletes. Who is it? C’mon, you can tell us. Is it Mike Adams? Maybe Brandon Allen? Perhaps Armando Almanza? All native Texans, so its understandable.

• stex52 - Mar 28, 2012 at 2:05 PM

Bob Aspromonte, journeyman third baseman for the Colt .45/Astros 1962-1968. You look at the stats now and see he was a mediocre player at best with a little pop in his bat, but he managed to capture the city as the face of a new franchise.

What can I say? I was an impressionable teen. But since I really got the hang of the girl thing, I have trouble thinking of many man-crushes.

• cur68 - Mar 28, 2012 at 2:30 PM

Yowza. Just had a look on the interwebs at him. Aspromonte’s a SOLID 9. Got the whole B-Movie Star thing goin’ on. Kind of a Rhett Butler type without the goofy ‘stache. Good choice. Solid choice. Cust couldn’t hold Aspromonte’s hair pomade.

• foreverchipper10 - Mar 28, 2012 at 3:34 PM

No Braves fan can have a man-crush on Mark DeRosa. Boy did he stink it up in ATL.

• jwbiii - Mar 28, 2012 at 1:44 PM

I liked Bernadina better when he used Rogearvin as his first name. I like to picture a scene like this, “Ok, we flip a coin. Heads, we name him Roger after my father, tails we name him Arvin after your father.” And the coin landed on edge in the sand.

• cur68 - Mar 28, 2012 at 1:53 PM

This newly acquired factoid moves Bernadina into a solid ‘9’ status on the man-crush scale. Cust is fading fast.

• WhenMattStairsIsKing - Mar 28, 2012 at 1:58 PM

How on earth are we forgetting Jon Garland in all of this?

• jwbiii - Mar 28, 2012 at 6:06 PM

As soon as I make a joke about Bernadina’s family, I read this:

• cur68 - Mar 28, 2012 at 8:00 PM

Oof. That sucks for Bernadina. Sorry for your loss, Roger.

4. drewsylvania - Mar 28, 2012 at 1:51 PM

Nice…cornering the market on crappy DH’s.

5. stlouis1baseball - Mar 28, 2012 at 2:09 PM

Sue: Own up to it! It’s Ian Kinsler isn’t it?

• stex52 - Mar 28, 2012 at 2:26 PM

Not until all the Red Sox fans in the world come out for Jeter. Houston/Dallas is at about the same level of friendliness.

• stlouis1baseball - Mar 28, 2012 at 2:30 PM

Hahaha! Yeah really Sue.
        I have an Uncle who lives in Houston (for the last 30+ years or so).
        He makes reference to the genuine dislike between the two.

6. sabathiawouldbegoodattheeighthtoo - Mar 28, 2012 at 2:27 PM

If I recall, everyone was making fun of Cashman last year for cornering the market on old, broken down RHPs. That worked out pretty well with Colon and Garcia. I’ll trust him on this, especially for minor league deals.

Cust OPSed .880 against RHP as recently as 2010.

7. buffalomafia - Mar 28, 2012 at 4:43 PM

WTF! CUST the BUST!

8. dirtyharry1971 - Mar 28, 2012 at 10:52 PM

Dont know why the Yanks would sign him but he cant do worse then travis Snider thats for damn sure

9. brian32556 - Mar 29, 2012 at 5:25 PM

The Yanks aren’t often sentimentalists. Can’t believe they signed this guy just ’cause he grew up a Yankee fan! Someone must be looking for a “pet” project to rehabilitate this guy.

Cubs shore up rotation with Jon Lester
  1. W. Myers (3225)
  2. J. Kang (3080)
  3. C. McGehee (2802)
  4. W. Middlebrooks (2773)
  5. J. Upton (2759)