And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights

Mar 29, 2012, 7:31 AM EDT

Yoenis Cespedes

Athletics 4, Mariners 1:  As you would expect, the A’s and M’s were all about the home runs today. All the game’s runs were scored on bombs, in fact, though they gave us their de riguer 0-0 tie through six innings.

Three of the four dingers came in the seventh, with Justin Smoak going deep in the top of the seventh for Seattle and then Yoenis Cespedes and Josh Reddick going back-to-back in the bottom of the inning. Cespedes’ was a two-run shot, coming on the second straight hanging breaking ball Shawn Kelley put up in his eyes.  I’m still a provisional Cespediphile, but I won’t go full-bore into things until I see him go deep off something other than slow hanging junk.

As for the pitching, Bartolo Colon gets the win, making like it was ten years ago or something. He went eight innings, striking out six and allowing only three hits.  Jason Vargas was good too, going six and a third. His one run allowed was an inherited runner Kelley allowed in on the Cespedes blast.

And thus endeth the Japan opener. Now back to your regularly scheduled spring training, at least for one more week.

1. darthicarus - Mar 29, 2012 at 7:45 AM

Cespediphile & hanging junk in the same sentence…I feel dirty reading that yet I still giggled like a little kid.

• CJ - Mar 29, 2012 at 9:01 AM

at least he’s not “going full bore into things until he seems him go deep”.

• groundruledoublebourbon - Mar 29, 2012 at 9:55 AM

…. Not that there’s anything wrong with that.

• marshmallowsnake - Mar 29, 2012 at 11:53 AM

Even worse, it was at his eyes!

2. sdelmonte - Mar 29, 2012 at 8:37 AM

Ah, that ageless wonder Colon. I wonder how long he can keep it going this season. I especially plan to watch him vs. Pettitte (and maybe Moyer) and see which old-timer has the better stats come July.

• deathmonkey41 - Mar 29, 2012 at 10:01 AM

Moyer looks at Colon and Pettite as a couple of young whippersnappers.

• Old Gator - Mar 29, 2012 at 10:06 AM

Maybe along with interleague play, Bud Light can introduce a senior tour.

3. madhatternalice - Mar 29, 2012 at 10:44 AM

There’s already a senior tour, Gator. It’s called The Phillies and Yankees :)

4. cur68 - Mar 29, 2012 at 10:59 AM

So, if there are “Cespediphiles” what are his detractors? Anti-Yeonites? I like to keep track of theses things…
    Anyhow, I’d like to see how Colon fares against some Major League hitting and Cespedes against some MLB pitching. Till then, meh. However, baseball has been played in anger, now 2 days in a row. Yee-haw, my friends. Yee, fricken, haw!

• paperlions - Mar 29, 2012 at 1:51 PM

Don’t label me.

• cur68 - Mar 29, 2012 at 1:54 PM

Oh you are SO being labeled, now…

• backstageatapuppetshow - Mar 29, 2012 at 7:08 PM

This ain’t Spring Training anymore Paperlion….Cespedes goes deep in spite of the doubters….lead by you…

I stand by my prediction….40 HR and 100RBI’s

• APBA Guy - Mar 29, 2012 at 1:59 PM

I don’t know if the thumbs down are for snide implications about the A’s and Mariners offense. If so, the people need to have watched these two games, as I did, which would lead you to the conclusion that these teams cannot hit very good pitching (Wednesday) or even pretty good pitching (Thursday). They can hit not-so good pitching (some of the relief both days) as can any major league team. But 8 runs total between the two teams sounds an awful lot like what we expected from both Seattle and the A’s.

• cur68 - Mar 29, 2012 at 2:09 PM

Seriously. These 2 teams can’t hit their way out of hat box, and Cespedes is about the closest guy to Pedro Cerrano I’ve ever seen. Bats are afraid.

• aintthenazz - Mar 29, 2012 at 8:43 PM

His detractors would be “Cespedophobes”!

5. sleepyirv - Mar 29, 2012 at 1:16 PM

Only Bud Selig would think an opening day in March in Japan is good idea and should be repeated as often as possible.

6. jdillydawg - Mar 29, 2012 at 4:11 PM

The good news is that the M’s and A’s will now be in sole possession of 1st place for an entire week!

7. denny65 - Mar 29, 2012 at 7:02 PM

Does Bartolo Colon snack between innings? Or does he just have, like, say a fifth-inning spread in the clubhouse to get him through the game?

8. baseballesq - Mar 29, 2012 at 10:02 PM

Love the picture of the Chandler bat Cespedes used.

All the trade deadline news to know