Bobby Valentine: Red Sox not ‘best team ever assembled’

Mar 29, 2012, 6:10 PM EDT

Bobby Valentine Reuters

Is Bobby V playing the “nobody believes in us” card already?

Asked about the lower expectations for the Red Sox entering 2012, Bobby Valentine said, “(We’re) not the ‘best team ever assembled’ this year. I don’t know if that’s good or bad. I know that, over history, that’s been good for some and bad some for some.”

“It’s just what it is.”

Valentine said he has “great expectations” and that he sees the Red Sox making the playoffs. It’s a reasonable expectation, though with two rotation spots still up for grabs and question marks at shortstop and in the outfield, the Red Sox are less settled than they have been in several years.

1. canowack - Mar 29, 2012 at 6:22 PM

No f***in’ sh**, to this headline

• proudlycanadian - Mar 29, 2012 at 7:49 PM

Bobby V knows that his team has problems; however, once he is fired, he will still collect a nice severance payout.

• The Baseball Idiot - Mar 30, 2012 at 8:59 AM

Can I get that in a t-shirt?

• canowack - Apr 4, 2012 at 1:38 PM

Hahaha. As long as you get one for me, too.

2. whatthehellisansky - Mar 29, 2012 at 6:28 PM

What kind of asshole manager says that about his own team?

When Bobby V gets fired he should give politics a serious shot. This guy is a talking head with a cap and a lineup card.

• canowack - Mar 29, 2012 at 6:29 PM

Idc who’s manager he is, he’s only stating the obvious!!!!

• canowack - Mar 29, 2012 at 6:31 PM

And don’t tell me the team doesnt know it. They have a 1,2,3 rotation when typically a team has a 1,2,3,4,5 rotation. Not to mention right field and shortstop. I’m a huge red sox fan, but this guys taking too much crap, he’s got a target bigger than above any Target store’s front doors

• baseballisboring - Mar 29, 2012 at 6:48 PM

Wait what? Him saying they’re not the “best team ever assembled” is disrespectful? You remember all the expectations around the ’11 Sox? That’s why the “best team ever assembled” thing is in quotation marks. This year everyone expects them to fall flat, and last year everyone expected them to go 159-3 and win the WS. Seems like he’s just saying that the lack of high expectations around them this year could be a good thing, or a bad thing. Doesn’t get any more innocuous than that.

• retief1954 - Mar 30, 2012 at 12:20 PM

Agreed, “baseballisboring” is dead on with his analysis. Valentine will be a lightning rod for the Sox and keep a lot of media attention on himself. Hopefully, despite reports that the team’s players already “hate him”, V will get most of the scrutiny and the players can go out and play, for the most part. I doubt the NYY players of the 70s-80s liked Billy Martin much. Not only that… remember who won the WS last year? As often as not these days it seems like the WS winner is a team that no one saw coming in spring. You never know.

3. proudlycanadian - Mar 29, 2012 at 6:30 PM

In today’s game against the Dead Sox, The Blue Jays used one regular (Thames) and a Double A starting pitcher (Hutchinson) and beat the Sox by 3 to 2. The winning run was scored by minor leaguer Anthony Gose, who walked and then stole the next 3 bases. Boston fans should not set their expectations very high this year.

• baseballisboring - Mar 29, 2012 at 6:49 PM

Yeah, one spring training game matters. A lot.

• bbil2012 - Mar 29, 2012 at 6:57 PM

Was Bob Uecker in the game?

• hittfamily - Mar 29, 2012 at 7:41 PM

My sarcasmeter is blinking at me.

• Chip Caray's Eyebrows - Mar 29, 2012 at 10:44 PM

In the morning, I typically like to enjoy a cup of hot coffee along with my morning constitutional. I only mention this because we’re apparently discussing things that have no real bearing on how the MLB regular season will play out.

4. rob0527 - Mar 29, 2012 at 6:30 PM

His act is already running thin and the season has not even started.

5. skeleteeth - Mar 29, 2012 at 6:48 PM

Did he make quote signs with his hands when he said ‘best team ever assembled’? Maybe he was cutting on Schillings impromptu pep-rally after the 2004 Sox swept St. Louis that was caught by live TV where Schilling said the 2004 Red Sox were the best team ever assembled. I remember witnessing that and thinking that was possibly the stupidest thing Schilling has ever said…until he went on Letterman later that week. Maybe Valentine thinks so too.

All this lip service Boston is getting is making me start to believe this east-cost bias nonsense. Just start the godamn season already….

• skeleteeth - Mar 29, 2012 at 6:48 PM

Excuse me, ‘best RED SOX team ever assembled’…

6. aceshigh11 - Mar 29, 2012 at 7:41 PM

I’m ALREADY getting tired of this circus shit, and the season hasn’t started.

Bad, bad vibes, man. Well, the only positive is this will weed out all the pink hatters who started frontrunning after ’04 and ’07.

Real Red Sox fans are only happy when they’re miserable and their team is losing, anyway. Everyone knows that.

7. dashortstop517 - Mar 29, 2012 at 8:32 PM

I sure hope Bobby can lead the Crew to another World Series. I’ve waited long enough!

8. blackhawk1938 - Mar 29, 2012 at 8:35 PM

I love it! Let the season and the soap opera begin!

• damnyankee13 - Mar 29, 2012 at 9:58 PM

the soap opera, sir, has allready begun and the season will in a day or so
      .this is more funny then when the Yankees were known as the Bronx Zoo. At least, we won.
      ROFLMAO

9. bozosforall - Mar 29, 2012 at 11:33 PM

The Red Sox are once again a big fat joke. And so are their fans.

• 18thstreet - Mar 30, 2012 at 12:36 PM

He’s back! He’s back!

10. jmmsr1 - Mar 29, 2012 at 11:56 PM

I’ve said it before – I’ll say it again…, V is the village idiot! He should be sterilized lest he breeds more like him. Shish talk about getting over in life – no redeeming value here folks.

11. torothebronxbull - Mar 30, 2012 at 1:50 AM

The Evil Empire rules!

• retief1954 - Mar 30, 2012 at 12:24 PM

The Angels and Rangers can BOTH take down NYY. Can’t WAIT to see it happen!

12. j0esixpack - Mar 30, 2012 at 9:41 AM

First of all he’s right.

Second of all, the “best teams assembled” don’t often win the World Series… It’s up to the players to become more than the sum of their parts.

My guess is that’s the point he’s trying to make.

The only question is whether that statement motivates the team or provides an excuse to lose. One assumes he believes it will motivate his team, but ultimately, it’s up to the players

Who are the favorites for Rookie of the Year?
  1. J. Soler (3927)