Mar 29, 2012, 11:51 AM EST
Randy Wells is 29 years old and has started at least 23 games for the Cubs in each of the past three seasons, posting a 4.01 ERA in 500 innings overall, yet today they demoted him to the minors as part of the latest round of spring training cuts.
Sending down a veteran with that much big-league experience and some pretty decent career numbers is surprising and even more so when you consider that Wells is under contract for $2.7 million after avoiding arbitration with a one-year deal in mid-January.
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners (260)
- Yankees agree to seven-year, $153M contract with free agent outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury (160)
- Report: Mariners willing to offer Robinson Cano a 10-year, $240 million deal (143)
- Report: Yankees have agreed to a three-year deal with Carlos Beltran (125)
- Brett Gardner is drawing “significant” trade interest (109)