Mar 29, 2012, 11:51 AM EST
Randy Wells is 29 years old and has started at least 23 games for the Cubs in each of the past three seasons, posting a 4.01 ERA in 500 innings overall, yet today they demoted him to the minors as part of the latest round of spring training cuts.
Sending down a veteran with that much big-league experience and some pretty decent career numbers is surprising and even more so when you consider that Wells is under contract for $2.7 million after avoiding arbitration with a one-year deal in mid-January.
- Dan Uggla played through undiagnosed concussion in 2014 12
- The aura of Derek Jeter was present at the Pinstripe Bowl 40
- UPDATE: Starlin Castro free after being questioned about shooting in Dominican Republic 62
- Report: Hiroki Kuroda is going back to Japan 26
- Merry Christmas from HBT! 74
- THE YEAR IN REVIEW: HBT’s most commented-upon stories of the year 86
- The Yankees are treating Alex Rodriguez differently than they treated Derek Jeter. So what? 40
- Braves sign setup man Jason Grilli to two-year contract 15