Curt Schilling says Red Sox players hate Bobby Valentine

Mar 29, 2012, 10:30 AM EST

Schilling

You’re not gonna believe this, but Curt Schilling has some hard, controversial truths about the Boston Red Sox which were revealed to him, Curt Schilling, because he is, in fact, Curt Schilling:

Speaking on WEEI earlier this week, he said that several players have complained to him about Valentine’s behavior:

“I thought that the manager that managed the Mets that I was not a big fan of was now going to be a different manager, and I don’t think there’s anything different at all,” Schilling said. “And I don’t think that that is going to be conducive to doing well here. There’s a lot of things I think that are happening not just from his perspective, but when you talk to these guys—and I’m still talking to some of these guys—I don’t think this is going well. And I think it’s going bad quicker than I expected it to.”…He also said that the players don’t like how much attention Valentine has brought to the clubhouse.

And then, in a moment of complete lack of self-awareness, Schilling said this:

“The point I made the other night was that he’s doing a lot of things right now that are forcing his players to extend their media involvement to answer questions about him and the situation when it’s already a challenge enough to do it, to play in this market and to win,” he said.

Because Schilling never, ever did that. Oy.

Anyway, Curt Schilling has been out of baseball since 2007. I wonder how much of his insight here is really based on him talking to a lot of Red Sox players and how much of it is based on him talking to, say, one or two of them and then filling in the rest with his own opinion. Which, as far as the Red Sox clubhouse is concerned, doesn’t matter one iota.

Even if Schilling is right, though, every team is going to have guys who hate the manager. Indeed, as Casey Stengel once said: “the secret of managing is to keep the guys who hate you away from the guys who are undecided.”  So great, Schilling found the guys that hate Valentine. News flash.

(thanks to Dan Turkenkopf for reminding me where that quote came from).

1. steelymcbeam6 - Mar 29, 2012 at 1:37 PM

I couldn’t give a shit less if the players hate valentine…win games! That’s all us red sox fans care about.

2. sasquash20 - Mar 29, 2012 at 1:47 PM

Truth is Bobby V is a arrogant, douche bag that thinks the world of himself. Just like Curt Schilling does.

3. sarge2006 - Mar 29, 2012 at 2:40 PM

Schilling time as passed but he can not let go…and still is in need of attention…so he says anything to get quoted…he is very ill prepared when you listen to him talk on the baseball shows…then he makes sure to be seen with politicians …and giving advice how to run the country…when you see guys like Schilling who retire and then right away start working on sports shows you know it is one of two things….they did not save their money and have to work…or their life is not complete without being in front of the camera all the time…

4. daisycutter1 - Mar 29, 2012 at 2:56 PM

Speaking as a Yankee fan, up until very recently when Schilling would open up his big trap I’d switch the station or close the browser window.

Now, I don’t want him to stop blabbing. Funny how that works. Keep up the good work, Curt!

5. woodenulykteneau - Mar 29, 2012 at 2:59 PM

The correct quote is “The secret of managing a club is to keep the five guys who hate you away from the five who are undecided.” If you don’t believe me, ask the guys at the Baseball Hall of Fame.

6. ezwriter69 - Mar 29, 2012 at 5:25 PM

Go put some more ketchup on your socks, you braying ass idiot, nobody on earth gives a flying fig what you think of Bobby Valentine…

7. bbil2012 - Mar 29, 2012 at 6:50 PM

He has political aspirations?
    I say elect him.Maybe that will keep him away from baseball.

8. theotuna - Mar 29, 2012 at 7:10 PM

Curious. I listened to that broadcast yesterday, and have read the transcript. Where, Craig, does Curt use the word “Hate”?

a tad bit liberal you have been.

9. yahmule - Mar 29, 2012 at 10:21 PM

Who would know about being hated than Curt Schilling?

10. yahmule - Mar 29, 2012 at 10:21 PM

Who would know more about being hated than Curt Schilling?

11. earlnash - Mar 30, 2012 at 11:38 AM

Check this out!

12. pogodog7 - Mar 30, 2012 at 2:29 PM

Here in Baltimore, we just wish Schilling and Ripen would get a group together to buy the Orioles.

13. ejannetta - Mar 30, 2012 at 5:29 PM

Valentine is a Buffoon..

On one hand you have BIG mouth Curt and on the other hand you have that dugout fried chicken munching hillbilly Beckett.

14. cosmiccanine - Mar 31, 2012 at 12:58 AM

STFU Curt. Nobody likes YOU! You, the guy who picked the pockets of the Red Sox by taking that 8 million dollar contract when you KNEW you couldn’t pitch. You’re dropping in, spreading disruption & unsettling the team & fans. Go back to Rhode Island & play video games, you traitor. I’m shocked your wife hasn’t divorced your bloated body yet.

Cubs shore up rotation with Jon Lester