Mar 29, 2012, 10:30 AM EDT
You’re not gonna believe this, but Curt Schilling has some hard, controversial truths about the Boston Red Sox which were revealed to him, Curt Schilling, because he is, in fact, Curt Schilling:
Speaking on WEEI earlier this week, he said that several players have complained to him about Valentine’s behavior:
“I thought that the manager that managed the Mets that I was not a big fan of was now going to be a different manager, and I don’t think there’s anything different at all,” Schilling said. “And I don’t think that that is going to be conducive to doing well here. There’s a lot of things I think that are happening not just from his perspective, but when you talk to these guys—and I’m still talking to some of these guys—I don’t think this is going well. And I think it’s going bad quicker than I expected it to.”…He also said that the players don’t like how much attention Valentine has brought to the clubhouse.
And then, in a moment of complete lack of self-awareness, Schilling said this:
“The point I made the other night was that he’s doing a lot of things right now that are forcing his players to extend their media involvement to answer questions about him and the situation when it’s already a challenge enough to do it, to play in this market and to win,” he said.
Because Schilling never, ever did that. Oy.
Anyway, Curt Schilling has been out of baseball since 2007. I wonder how much of his insight here is really based on him talking to a lot of Red Sox players and how much of it is based on him talking to, say, one or two of them and then filling in the rest with his own opinion. Which, as far as the Red Sox clubhouse is concerned, doesn’t matter one iota.
Even if Schilling is right, though, every team is going to have guys who hate the manager. Indeed, as Casey Stengel once said: “the secret of managing is to keep the guys who hate you away from the guys who are undecided.” So great, Schilling found the guys that hate Valentine. News flash.
(thanks to Dan Turkenkopf for reminding me where that quote came from).
- Two radio stations in San Francisco are refusing to play Lorde’s “Royals” during the World Series 10
- Royals tab James Shields, Yordano Ventura to start first two games of World Series 1
- Brian Roberts is retiring 13
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? 115
- Video: Watch Travis Ishikawa’s pennant-winning homer 13
- Travis Ishikawa sends Giants to World Series on walk-off three-run homer 79
- NLCS, Game 5: Cardinals vs. Giants lineups 30
- This team. 30
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? (115)
- “The Kansas City Royals Are the Future of Baseball” — someone actually said that. (93)
- Andrew Friedman leaving the Rays to take over as Dodgers President of Baseball Operations (83)
- Quit making a big deal out of anomalies. Most of what happens is meaningless. (82)
- Travis Ishikawa sends Giants to World Series on walk-off three-run homer (79)