Curt Schilling says Red Sox players hate Bobby Valentine

Mar 29, 2012, 10:30 AM EDT

Schilling

You’re not gonna believe this, but Curt Schilling has some hard, controversial truths about the Boston Red Sox which were revealed to him, Curt Schilling, because he is, in fact, Curt Schilling:

Speaking on WEEI earlier this week, he said that several players have complained to him about Valentine’s behavior:

“I thought that the manager that managed the Mets that I was not a big fan of was now going to be a different manager, and I don’t think there’s anything different at all,” Schilling said. “And I don’t think that that is going to be conducive to doing well here. There’s a lot of things I think that are happening not just from his perspective, but when you talk to these guys—and I’m still talking to some of these guys—I don’t think this is going well. And I think it’s going bad quicker than I expected it to.”…He also said that the players don’t like how much attention Valentine has brought to the clubhouse.

And then, in a moment of complete lack of self-awareness, Schilling said this:

“The point I made the other night was that he’s doing a lot of things right now that are forcing his players to extend their media involvement to answer questions about him and the situation when it’s already a challenge enough to do it, to play in this market and to win,” he said.

Because Schilling never, ever did that. Oy.

Anyway, Curt Schilling has been out of baseball since 2007. I wonder how much of his insight here is really based on him talking to a lot of Red Sox players and how much of it is based on him talking to, say, one or two of them and then filling in the rest with his own opinion. Which, as far as the Red Sox clubhouse is concerned, doesn’t matter one iota.

Even if Schilling is right, though, every team is going to have guys who hate the manager. Indeed, as Casey Stengel once said: “the secret of managing is to keep the guys who hate you away from the guys who are undecided.”  So great, Schilling found the guys that hate Valentine. News flash.

(thanks to Dan Turkenkopf for reminding me where that quote came from).

1. pellypell - Mar 29, 2012 at 10:37 AM

Curt needs to shove a bloody sock in his mouth. Still trying to figure out why anyone values his opinion.

• georgebrett - Mar 30, 2012 at 1:29 PM

Because he’s right

• crazywild1325 - Mar 30, 2012 at 4:12 PM

The same bloody Sock that is in the Hall?
      The one he wore in pain, struggling to overcome it and continue pitching to help the Sox win a WS???!!!
      I value his opinion. He has been there done that……

• avietar - Mar 30, 2012 at 5:48 PM

No, the same “bloody” sock that, according to many close to the team, was FAKED in large part so that Schilling, a notorious fraud and self-promoting blow-hard, could play the martyr.

It’s about time that somebody took that sock that’s sitting in Hall of Fame to determine exactly what breed of chicken the blood on that sock came from.

• crazywild1325 - Dec 31, 2012 at 10:44 PM

That is so cruel of you to even say that he is a coward. and a phony.
        Keep sock and put Schilling HOF

• missfitchick - Apr 1, 2012 at 2:53 PM

Ty Cobb had been there and done that. Barry Bonds has been there, done that. So have Manny Ramirez, Mark McGuire and Roger Clemens. Do you feel they are also people of character we should be listening to?

2. pellypell - Mar 29, 2012 at 10:37 AM

Curt needs to shove a bloody sock in his mouth.

• pellypell - Mar 29, 2012 at 10:38 AM

So nice, had to say it twice.

3. pjmitch - Mar 29, 2012 at 10:41 AM

Does Schilling realize he is not a player anymore?

Good to see he is taking a positive spin on this team before the season even starts.

• pellypell - Mar 29, 2012 at 10:42 AM

Schilling is a player, a video game player. This guy doesn’t realize anything.

4. deathmonkey41 - Mar 29, 2012 at 10:56 AM

So, then Big Papi won’t be inviting Bobby down to the DC for more milkshakes this winter?

5. WhenMattStairsIsKing - Mar 29, 2012 at 10:56 AM

Stick to talking about Kingdoms of Amalur, Curt.

6. racksie - Mar 29, 2012 at 11:00 AM

Breaking news: Curt Schilling has bought a glass house, and will be moving in with the kettle.

And good luck getting anyone in that clubhouse to talk to you now.

• pellypell - Mar 29, 2012 at 11:18 AM

Doesn’t matter if anyone talks to him, he will continue to make up this nonsense as he sees fit. Facts just get in the way of Curt’s agenda.

• racksie - Mar 29, 2012 at 11:37 AM

Ding! Heck it may be true, but it’s just his ego. And I don’t care if there are problems in their clubhouse. He’s a moron.

• jimeejohnson - Apr 2, 2012 at 4:33 PM

While not all Conservatives are stupid people, all stupid people are Conservatives. Curt is a perfect example of the latter.

7. sabathiawouldbegoodattheeighthtoo - Mar 29, 2012 at 11:01 AM

I am pretty sure the press was talking about the Red Sox clubhouse long before Valentine showed up. If the players didn’t want that, they should not have allowed a historic collapse in September.

8. buffalomafia - Mar 29, 2012 at 11:08 AM

Lets go Yankees!

9. homelanddefense - Mar 29, 2012 at 11:12 AM

Not a surprise that Schilling doesnt like Bobby V, Schilling LOVED Francona. In a round about way he is sticking up for his guy.

And while I dont like Bobby V, Im happy that the veterans in that clubhouse dont like him. They shoudlnt be comfortable, they loved Francona and ended up walking all over him.

• brokea$$lovesmesomeme - Mar 29, 2012 at 2:21 PM

Very well put

• georgebrett - Mar 30, 2012 at 1:31 PM

Not really

10. cur68 - Mar 29, 2012 at 11:18 AM

I wonder, should the impossible happen, and the Sox are actually very successful this season, will Schilling change his tune and go on about how great the players think BV is? Regardless, I’m feeling that all future quotes an insights from Schill should be met with the stock phrase:
    “Thank you Curt Schilling. Your contribution to the Red Sox sports discourse will be duly noted and filed under “r” (rubbish). Now please go away.”

• stex52 - Mar 29, 2012 at 12:06 PM

What’s with the thumbs downs? You are spot on. Great players get to be jerks because their talent allows them to pull it off. When they retire, we don’t have to listen to their stuff anymore.

• cur68 - Mar 29, 2012 at 12:53 PM

Fact: Curt Schilling and his family reads HBT. Its the only explanation, really.

• Jack Marshall - Mar 29, 2012 at 2:51 PM

Impossible? What kind of biased analysis leads to THAT conclusion? The Sox winning in 1967 was impossible. In 2012, they should be no worse than even money to win the division

• cur68 - Mar 29, 2012 at 2:58 PM

Easy, Jack. I’m a Blue Jays fan. That first sentence is pure hyperbole. We need a font for that, sarcasm, and irony, I know, but sometimes ya gotta look at who’s sayin’ what, THEN decide if its worth the Full Monty outrage or not. If this wasn’t a public forum, and my HBT girlfriend, a Sox Superfan, wouldn’t remind me of it, I’d admit that the Sox could easily be very good this season. But, since it IS public, and hyperbole is what I do: they gonna blow. They gonna blow like Old Faithful. And, no, there is no trenchant statistical analysis behind that. Just sheer Sox-trolling. The e-girlfriend is really cute when she’s riled, y’see.

• 24missed - Mar 29, 2012 at 9:14 PM

Ha, ha,
      You just said the Sox are going to be very good. And you are a BJ fan.
      That’s just funny. I think you switched teams.

I’M RILED! Does that make me cute?

• cur68 - Mar 30, 2012 at 1:22 AM

Ayup.

11. Jack Marshall - Mar 29, 2012 at 11:21 AM

When I am managing any staff, I always have a self-appointed staff mole who wants to tell me all the terrible things everyone is saying behind my back. I tell them to keep it to themselves. People bitch about bosses—it’s irresistible. I’ve done it myself, even with bosses that I respected and came to emulate and admire. It can become destructive, and it can get out of hand, but good and confident leaders give their people room to complain within reason, because it can relieve tensions. They don’t take it personally either. Machiavelli was right…you can be loved or you can be feared, but you have to be one or the other. Francona was loved. Sometimes feared works better.

• daisycutter1 - Mar 29, 2012 at 2:53 PM

But, if Schilling is correct, Valentine is neither.

12. Jonny 5 - Mar 29, 2012 at 11:34 AM

I now LOVE the fact that Schilling was traded and successful with the BoSox. That way all of his BS can revolve around them instead of the Phillies. I call, Perpetual Douchenozzle! BRAVO! Get over here! Can we somehow evolve the Douchenozzle list to contain an addendum for perpetual Douchenozzles?

• ditto65 - Mar 29, 2012 at 11:52 AM

Douchenozzle emeritus, perhaps?

• pharmerbrown - Mar 29, 2012 at 12:39 PM

I think the evolution of the douchenozzle list would be renaming it the “almost as big of a douchenozzle as curt schilling” list…

• cur68 - Mar 29, 2012 at 12:52 PM

So “Douchenozzle For Life”, eh? I think that’s appropriate. Yes, Curt (I know you read this stuff: who else is thumbs downing the anti-Schilling comments so dedicatedly?), your own title for life. You thought it was gonna be “The Sage of All Baseball”, didn’t ya? Well its not. Now please go away.

13. mdpickles - Mar 29, 2012 at 11:42 AM

As GM of the Phils, Ed Wade once had this to say about Curt: “Every fifth day, Curt is a horse, every other day, he’s a horse’s ass.”

14. pisano - Mar 29, 2012 at 11:49 AM

What ever you do, don’t tell Curt a secret.

15. marshmallowsnake - Mar 29, 2012 at 11:51 AM

Do the Red Sox players that were on the team last year realize that they brought this upon themselves? They had a laid back manager and like juveniles, the walked all over the trust that he gave them. Now, they get to reap what they have sown.

16. rc33 - Mar 29, 2012 at 12:08 PM

Oh yeah, Schilling’s clearly the problem here, right?
    The 25 overpaid babies on the Red Sox roster..the ones that went 7-20 in September last season…have no one to blame but themselves. They’re the reason their day-at-the-beach manager Francona is gone.
    Schilling is and always will be a Francona guy so he wouldn’t be in Valentine’s (or anyone else’s) corner.
    Bottom line; a 7-20 September, a historic collapse, beer and chicken all combined with an “overlook it all” clueless manager and what you end up with is a new skipper in the dugout.
    Francona’s gone and they have n o one to blame other than themselves.
    Sack up and earn your paycheck, clowns.
    The LAST thing Red Sox fans want to hear is one peep out of you about Valentine.

• sabatimus - Mar 29, 2012 at 12:43 PM

When’s the last time Curt kept his mouth shut? Ever? Good luck with that one.

17. gotampabay52 - Mar 29, 2012 at 12:15 PM

Go RAYS

18. gibbskins9 - Mar 29, 2012 at 12:21 PM

That’s FUNNY, but everyone hates Bobby V.!!!!!!

19. sabatimus - Mar 29, 2012 at 12:39 PM

Great, now in addition to the oh-so-rote “beer and chicken” sentiments, we get to speculate on WHICH players told Curt they weren’t happy. Makes for a wonderful clubhouse. But even if Valentine weren’t drawing attention to himself (which he is, in a seemingly backfired attempt to draw attention away from the players), any player on any team would still be asked how he feels about being under a new manager.

I was going to compare Valentine’s increased work ethic to Bill Belichick’s, but that’s probably a pipe dream, especially given that Valentine last worked in the majors 10 YEARS ago (his work in Japan notwithstanding).

20. sabatimus - Mar 29, 2012 at 12:41 PM

I also wish Curt would keep his mouth shut, since his comments probably hurt the clubhouse, but wishing for that is like wishing for Paul LePage not to be my governor (at 38% of the vote, I might add).

21. mtm1321 - Mar 29, 2012 at 12:41 PM

This is no surprise. Bobby V has never been well liked by any ball players.
    Whether shcilling is talking trash or not remains to be seen but it doesn’t shock me.

22. sabatimus - Mar 29, 2012 at 12:50 PM

Hey look, that’s funny, I don’t see Curt use the word “hate” at all in his comments. Not liking someone is a good deal different than “hate”, don’t you think, Craig?

23. gpatrick15 - Mar 29, 2012 at 12:51 PM

Glenn Patrick says Red Sox fans hate Curt Schilling.

• sabatimus - Mar 29, 2012 at 2:53 PM

Simon didn’t say.

24. yournuts - Mar 29, 2012 at 1:03 PM

It is just a matter of time for Bobby V. His big mouth always gets him in trouble no matterwhere he goes. It is no surprise to me that his players may not like him, he is an acquired taste and not many people enjoy his antics. Good luck Red Sox nation!

25. psousa1 - Mar 29, 2012 at 1:17 PM

Poor Curt. How many guys are left that he played with? One Boston radio station hosts that was discussing these comments, who have Sox players on quite a bit, even though they are not their flagship station, said players, told them off the record, ol’ Schill was not a teammate who really had a good rapport with the other guys. Apparently they stopped saying things in confidence to him because their words would be in the media the next day. I think he is trying to make himself relevant and justify his part time co hosting on Baseball Tonight and trying to start a ‘feud’ with Bobby V.

• djpostl - Mar 29, 2012 at 1:46 PM

Techincally…Papi, Pedroia, Youk, Lester, Buchholz, Beckett, Dice K and Jacoby. 9 of 25…quite a big chunk.

• psousa1 - Mar 29, 2012 at 4:55 PM

I do realize those guys were on that team his last season. As amazing and unhittable Beckett was that season Schilling was equally impressive because he had to reinvent himself as a pitcher which I imagine is not easy. But I think he just needs to be heard. Without knowing them personally I’m sure you can take out Bucholz, Dice K, Ellsbury. These were 3 rookies on that 2007 team as was Pedroia. But after what Beckett tweeted today I pretty much he is just trying to make himself relevant in the baseball world.

• djpostl - Mar 29, 2012 at 5:22 PM

Oh, he definitely is doing exactly what he is accusing Valentine of doing, being an ego maniac that needs to tone it down lol.

100% in total agreement on that one.

Who are the favorites for Rookie of the Year?
  1. J. Soler (3675)