Mar 29, 2012, 11:19 AM EDT
Earlier this week the Blue Jays gave Dustin McGowan a two-year contract extension worth at least $4 million in guaranteed money despite the oft-injured right-hander throwing a grand total of 21 (terrible) innings since 2009.
In a fitting follow-up to that surprising move McGowan is now expected to begin the season on the disabled list … with a foot injury.
Brendan Kennedy of the Toronto Star reports that McGowan had to shut down a throwing session yesterday because of plantar fasciitis, which is the same foot injury that has sidelined Reid Brignac in Rays camp and can linger.
I’d normally say this makes the extension look even more confusing, but that would be tough to do.
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 0
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 6
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 24
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras 76
- 2015 Preview: Pittsburgh Pirates 12
- 2015 Preview: San Diego Padres 22
- MLB is looking into some strange gambling tweets involving Marlins pitcher Jarred Cosart 46
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (114)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras (76)
- Andrew McCutchen cut his hair for the first time in eight years (75)