Mar 29, 2012, 11:19 AM EST
Earlier this week the Blue Jays gave Dustin McGowan a two-year contract extension worth at least $4 million in guaranteed money despite the oft-injured right-hander throwing a grand total of 21 (terrible) innings since 2009.
In a fitting follow-up to that surprising move McGowan is now expected to begin the season on the disabled list … with a foot injury.
Brendan Kennedy of the Toronto Star reports that McGowan had to shut down a throwing session yesterday because of plantar fasciitis, which is the same foot injury that has sidelined Reid Brignac in Rays camp and can linger.
I’d normally say this makes the extension look even more confusing, but that would be tough to do.
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 230
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 307
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (307)
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (234)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (136)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)