Mar 29, 2012, 11:19 AM EDT
Earlier this week the Blue Jays gave Dustin McGowan a two-year contract extension worth at least $4 million in guaranteed money despite the oft-injured right-hander throwing a grand total of 21 (terrible) innings since 2009.
In a fitting follow-up to that surprising move McGowan is now expected to begin the season on the disabled list … with a foot injury.
Brendan Kennedy of the Toronto Star reports that McGowan had to shut down a throwing session yesterday because of plantar fasciitis, which is the same foot injury that has sidelined Reid Brignac in Rays camp and can linger.
I’d normally say this makes the extension look even more confusing, but that would be tough to do.
- Mariners end Jesus Montero’s season 23
- Troy Tulowitzki says he’ll retire before he switches positions 22
- Mike Trout is the best MVP choice, but . . . 24
- Baseball is dying, you guys, because no one would recognize Mike Trout in a bar 68
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 75
- Alex Gordon and the M-V-P chants 44
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. 217
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 63
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. (220)
- Forgiveness for Pete Rose? Not in this lifetime (146)
- Albert Pujols plays the “you never played the game!” card (104)
- Great Moments in Drug Testing and Punishment: The NFL Edition (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (75)