Mar 29, 2012, 11:19 AM EST
Earlier this week the Blue Jays gave Dustin McGowan a two-year contract extension worth at least $4 million in guaranteed money despite the oft-injured right-hander throwing a grand total of 21 (terrible) innings since 2009.
In a fitting follow-up to that surprising move McGowan is now expected to begin the season on the disabled list … with a foot injury.
Brendan Kennedy of the Toronto Star reports that McGowan had to shut down a throwing session yesterday because of plantar fasciitis, which is the same foot injury that has sidelined Reid Brignac in Rays camp and can linger.
I’d normally say this makes the extension look even more confusing, but that would be tough to do.
- Yasmany Tomas signs a six-year, $68.5 million deal with the Diamondbacks 87
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap 163
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 35
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 68
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 43
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 26
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap (163)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (140)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (138)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)