Mar 29, 2012, 9:49 PM EST
No word yet on what the Angels would receive in return, but it’s probably not going to be much.
Abreu, 38, hit just .253/.353/.365 with eight home runs across 585 plate appearances last season for Anaheim and no longer possesses much defensive range. He’s also owed a $9 million salary in 2012, which the Angels will likely have to eat all or most of.
Abreu will presumably start in left field this year for Cleveland if the trade indeed goes down. Which has us wondering whether he’s really any better than Shelley Duncan, all things considered.
UPDATE, 10:35 PM: Abreu’s agent told Mike DiGiovanna of the Los Angeles Times that he “has not gotten confirmation” that a deal has been agreed to involving his client. This one might take a while.
UPDATE, 10:58 PM: According to Heyman, the Crowe trade that Morosi caught word of earlier is now a “no-go.” It’s not clear whether that means the Abreu trade has also been called off.
UPDATE, 11:27 PM: FOX Sports’ Ken Rosenthal reports that Abreu is only “50-50″ to be dealt.
- Report: Red Sox offer Jon Lester six years, $110-120 million 69
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” 125
- A’s sign Billy Butler to three-year, $30 million contract 83
- Cardinals reportedly joining pursuit of Jon Lester 65
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. 148
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal 157
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal 135
- Done Deal: Giancarlo Stanton and the Marlins agree on the biggest contract in baseball history 124
- Biggest deal in baseball history: Giancarlo Stanton close to 13-year, $325 million contract with Marlins (182)
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal (157)
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. (148)
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal (135)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (125)