Juan Pierre makes the Phillies roster

Mar 29, 2012, 5:00 PM EST

Juan Pierre

He only got a minor league contract with a spring training invite, but Juan Pierre impressed the Phillies with a decent spring and, presumably, his usual hard work (he gets raves for that).  He’ll make $800K and will be a backup outfielder and a bench bat.

Pierre hit just .279/.329/.327 last year, and it wasn’t like he cratered. He can still play some defense however, so he has his uses.

1. WhenMattStairsIsKing - Mar 29, 2012 at 5:24 PM

He’s more than deserving of a roster spot. His OBP stinks and he’s an older guy whose paycheck is based almost 100% (if not 100%) on speed, but he has 2-3 years left in him, I’d imagine.

• sasquash20 - Mar 29, 2012 at 5:37 PM

His speed isn’t what it used to be. I feel S.Podsednik out played him this spring season.

• WhenMattStairsIsKing - Mar 29, 2012 at 5:41 PM

I feel slightly old knowing that these guys were fighting for bench spots. I remember Podsednik being traded for Carlos Lee when both guys were valuable assets.

2. kingvorp - Mar 29, 2012 at 5:28 PM

needs more scotty pods.

3. charlutes - Mar 29, 2012 at 5:31 PM

I want to apologize to Calcaterra for a post I made yesterday. I got pissy because I thought you didn’t do a write up of the season opener. truthfully I had an awful day and I took it out – in caps letters – on Craig. I have felt bad about this all day because I really like calcaterra’s writing. I too am a Batman fanatic and I almost always find his writing funny, informative, and entertaining. Craig I tried to add you on linked in 5 mins ago to say this privately but it wouldn’t let me leave a comment since I couldn’t find your email address. I did find your blog posting of the hate mail u got. hillarious.

keep up the good work, I’m sure you need thick skin to do your job, although probably not dress pants…I’m embarrassed by my comment yesterday and I will continue to enjoy your blogs.

but tell Matt Moore to cut down on the word count will ya?

BLUE JAYS 2012 WORLD SERIES CHAMPS! I can type that in caps cuz its a fact.

• WhenMattStairsIsKing - Mar 29, 2012 at 5:52 PM

Wow…a first-time apology for a troll-like comment?

Well done.

• cur68 - Mar 29, 2012 at 6:27 PM

Jay’s fan, too. Can’t dislike a fellow Beaver Man. Way to adhere to the cultural stereotype of apologizing, too. That’s a good one to keep up. Its important for people to be mindful of our finer points.

• Utley's Hair - Mar 29, 2012 at 11:24 PM

Damn Canadians getting all apologizey and crap.

• cur68 - Mar 30, 2012 at 1:36 AM

You just jealous ’cause your cultural paradigm involves throwing batteries and stuff. Don’t be hatin’.

4. eaglebobby - Mar 29, 2012 at 5:46 PM

Minor league options came to play here. Pierre HAD to make the roster by March 30th or the Phils would have had to release him. Posednick, on the other hand, HAS TO ACCEPT his demotion down to the minors until Jun1st. Then he can walk if he so chooses.

• Jonny 5 - Mar 30, 2012 at 8:27 AM

Exactly. And from the sound/ looks of it Posednick is better and faster than Pierre is so everyone should expect Scott to steal the bench spot come May/ June. This choice gave the Phillies the opportunity to take their time in naming their last bench OF.

5. cltjump - Mar 29, 2012 at 6:14 PM

I’ve always liked ol’ Jaun, since he was with the Marlin’s in Pro Player Stadium. And I hate the Marlins. So I guess that’s something.

6. cltjump - Mar 29, 2012 at 6:15 PM

I’ve always liked ol’ Jaun, since he was with the Marlins in Pro Player Stadium. And I hate the Marlins. So I guess that’s something.

7. phillyphreak - Mar 29, 2012 at 6:34 PM

Ok I’ll say it.

Booooooo.

Ok I feel much better.

8. Matt - Mar 29, 2012 at 6:50 PM

There goes Craig again…trolling phils fans with posts like this.

Wait…this is real? Huh.

9. mungman69 - Mar 30, 2012 at 7:50 AM

These posts sound like a soap opra.

10. Jonny 5 - Mar 30, 2012 at 10:13 AM

He leads MLB in TOOTBLAN

Cubs shore up rotation with Jon Lester
  1. W. Myers (5072)
  2. M. Kemp (2997)
  3. J. Kang (2876)
  4. J. Upton (2838)
  5. C. McGehee (2796)
  1. W. Middlebrooks (2767)
  2. J. Peavy (2028)