Mar 29, 2012, 11:00 AM EDT
The upshot: in the wake of the revelations about his personal life the other day, Dickey’s ability to be open, frank and to stand up and answer questions about the sorts of things most of us — and virtually all professional athletes — would be unable or unwilling to do shows that he is more of a real man than any of the macho stereotypes who get that label.
He’s not a saint, obviously. The stuff he did that risked his marriage shows that. But unlike most of us, Dickey seems to be well aware of his flaws and his demons and it’s pretty astounding to see someone be so honest about them in public like he is.
- John Schuerholz defines “The Braves Way.” And it’s a pretty big pile of crap. 50
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 25
- Frank Wren fired as Braves GM, John Hart to take over on an interim basis 42
- AND DOWN THE STRETCH THEY COME! Sizing up the final week of the regular season 36
- Must-Click Link: Derek Jeter opens up. Seriously, he really does. 46
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 58
- Must-click link: Tommy Harper and the Red Sox’ racist past 58
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 34
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (124)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (107)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Giants CEO Larry Baer thinks advertisements on uniforms are coming soon (89)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)