Mar 29, 2012, 11:00 AM EST
The upshot: in the wake of the revelations about his personal life the other day, Dickey’s ability to be open, frank and to stand up and answer questions about the sorts of things most of us — and virtually all professional athletes — would be unable or unwilling to do shows that he is more of a real man than any of the macho stereotypes who get that label.
He’s not a saint, obviously. The stuff he did that risked his marriage shows that. But unlike most of us, Dickey seems to be well aware of his flaws and his demons and it’s pretty astounding to see someone be so honest about them in public like he is.
- Yasmany Tomas signs a six-year, $68.5 million deal with the Diamondbacks 80
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap 160
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 35
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 68
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 43
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 26
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap (160)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (138)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (136)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)