Mar 29, 2012, 11:00 AM EST
The upshot: in the wake of the revelations about his personal life the other day, Dickey’s ability to be open, frank and to stand up and answer questions about the sorts of things most of us — and virtually all professional athletes — would be unable or unwilling to do shows that he is more of a real man than any of the macho stereotypes who get that label.
He’s not a saint, obviously. The stuff he did that risked his marriage shows that. But unlike most of us, Dickey seems to be well aware of his flaws and his demons and it’s pretty astounding to see someone be so honest about them in public like he is.
- Giants acquire Casey McGehee from the Marlins 14
- The Padres have given their fans something to talk about. Which is badly needed in San Diego. 63
- Justin Upton traded to the Padres for three prospects 79
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. 142
- Jake Peavy agrees to a two-year, $24 million deal to stay with the San Francisco Giants 25
- Matt Kemp has officially been traded to the Padres 29
- Padres acquire catcher Derek Norris from Athletics 38
- St. Petersburg City Council votes down deal to allow Rays to look for new stadium site 90
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (144)
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. (142)
- Cubs, Red Sox, Dodgers, Padres, Rangers, and Astros interested in Phillies’ Cole Hamels (111)
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade (97)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)