Mar 29, 2012, 10:47 AM EDT
After an excellent rookie season as a reliever in 2010 the Rangers moved Alexi Ogando into the rotation last year with good results, as he started 29 games with a 3.51 ERA and 126/43 K/BB ratio in 169 innings.
Normally that would be enough to lock a 28-year-old pitcher into the rotation long term, but T.R. Sullivan of MLB.com reports that the Rangers have decided to reverse course and move Ogando back to the bullpen despite having him build up arm strength as a starter all spring.
Ogando threw six innings in a start yesterday and has made it very clear that he wants to remain a starter. No official announcement has been made yet, but according to Sullivan it’s just a matter of time before manager Ron Washington breaks the bullpen news to Ogando.
Last spring Neftali Feliz staying in the bullpen gave Ogando an opportunity to prove himself as a starter. This spring Feliz moving to the rotation will apparently take that opportunity away. His versatility is a nice luxury for the Rangers, as Ogando was unhittable as a rookie reliever in 2010 with a 1.30 ERA and 39 strikeouts in 42 innings, and of course given how few teams make it through a season needing just five starters his days in the rotation may not be finished.
- Alex Rodriguez hits 659th career home run, now one shy of tying Willie Mays 13
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal 217
- Max Scherzer doubtful for next start due to thumb injury 3
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards 140
- It sure sounds like Adam Wainwright suffered a torn Achilles tendon on Saturday night 40
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 33
- Report: Rangers will pay Josh Hamilton less than $7 million; deal includes opt-out after two years 98
- Suspensions announced for Thursday’s brawl between the White Sox and Royals 78
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal (235)
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (155)
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards (141)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)