Mar 29, 2012, 4:46 PM EDT
UPDATE: It’s official now. He’ll go under the knife on April 3.
Instead of securing a spot in the Marlins’ bullpen right-hander Jose Ceda is expected to undergo season-ending Tommy John elbow surgery.
Ceda, who made headlines last season for being locked in the bullpen bathroom by Marlins teammates, pitched well for 7.1 innings this spring before being shut down on March 22. He hasn’t pitched since, was diagnosed with a sprained elbow, and now according to Joe Frisaro of MLB.com “he appears likely to have Tommy John surgery.”
Ceda threw 20 innings with a 4.43 ERA and 21 strikeouts for the Marlins last season after the 25-year-old reliever dominated at Triple-A, throwing 40 innings with a 1.36 ERA and 53/13 K/BB ratio. Surgery would cause him to miss all of this season and perhaps a chunk of next season as well.
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game 114
- The Winners and Losers at the Trade Deadline 64
- 2015 MLB Trade Deadline Tracker 11
- Report: Yoenis Cespedes heading to the New York Mets 36
- The Blue Jays pick up Ben Revere from the Phillies 65
- Cubs trade for Dan Haren 28
- Cardinals add more bullpen help, get Jonathan Broxton from Brewers 13
- Orioles trade for Brewers outfielder Gerardo Parra 19
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (112)
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (110)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (90)