Yu Darvish scheduled to make MLB debut on April 9

Mar 29, 2012, 10:25 PM EDT

darvish getty Getty Images

As noted by Richard Durrett of ESPN Dallas, right-hander Yu Darvish is scheduled to make his first MLB start on April 9 at home against the Mariners.

The Rangers revealed their season-opening rotation on Thursday, pegging Colby Lewis for Opening Day (April 6) against the White Sox. He will be followed by Derek Holland and Matt Harrison in that three-game series vs. Chicago before Darvish kicks things off against Seattle. Neftali Feliz will go fifth.

Darvish agreed to a six-year, $60 million contract in January after the Rangers paid a $51,703,411 posting fee to the Nippon Ham Fighters for his exclusive negotiating rights. The 6-foot-5 hurler posted a 1.44 ERA and 276/36 K/BB ratio in 232 innings last season in Japan. He has a 3.00 ERA, 1.44 WHIP and 10/7 K/BB ratio in nine Cactus League innings this spring.

1. obamasucksmajorc0ck - Mar 29, 2012 at 10:35 PM

YU MANIA BABY! I’ve been praying my Rangers would land this guy and I’ll be damn! Linsanity move over! Yu ain’t shit to YU! Can’t wait to watch him dominate!

• rollinghighwayblues - Mar 30, 2012 at 1:11 AM

Go. Away.

2. micker716 - Mar 30, 2012 at 12:23 AM

Unless he can show us the Gyroball, I don’t care. I need to see the Gyroball!

• hittfamily - Mar 30, 2012 at 6:49 AM

After reading up on what it is, it sounds like a fancy name for a slider. Wikipedia says the pitcher throws an arm slot that moves away from his body, as opposed to towards it (makes no sense to me either?)

Excluding the grip, that is essentially a slider. On a slider, the wrist turns counter clockwise for a right handed pitcher, giving the ball the same spin as it would get if the arm somehow moved away from the body.

So basically, I’d like to see it too, but I don’t think it exists. Someone reinvented the wheel.

• hittfamily - Mar 30, 2012 at 8:21 AM

wow. I said slider twice. I meant a screwball / circle change.

3. eastcoastblows - Mar 30, 2012 at 1:27 AM

Bartolo Colón will win more games than him in the AL west

4. romoscollarbone - Mar 30, 2012 at 2:53 AM

Heckuva number 4.

5. obamasucksmajorc0ck - Mar 30, 2012 at 3:10 AM

@eastcoastblows hahahahahahaha that seriously made me lmao. Bartolo really?! And he’s on the Oakland Pathetics with roid head Ramirez. Good luck with that.

6. wkinsomnia - Mar 30, 2012 at 4:54 PM

could a Mediator please ban User “obamasucksco**”. Get some class, no matter your Political views act like a grown adult and not some snot-nosed immature little s.o.b.

Orioles turn AL East on its head