Mar 30, 2012, 6:11 PM EST
There was some optimism last weekend that Allen Craig could potentially make the Cardinals’ roster as a bench player as he continues his rehab from offseason surgery on his right knee, but things have changed over the past few days.
Joe Strauss of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch reports that Craig will be placed on the 15-day disabled list now that outfielder Shane Robinson was awarded a spot on the Opening Day roster. The decision doesn’t come as a major surprise, as Cardinals manager Mike Matheny admitted on Wednesday that they have “taken a step back” with Craig’s timetable.
It sounds like the smart move, as there’s no need to rush him back in a limited capacity if they can have him back at 100 percent in a couple of weeks. The Cardinals will backdate the disabled list stint, so they could have him back as soon as April 10 if all goes well. Craig was originally expected to miss the first month of the season, so he’s still way ahead of schedule.
Craig has a .290/.339/.503 batting line and an .842 OPS over his first 343 major league plate appearances. The 27-year-old projects to be used in a utility role this season, possibly playing right field against left-handed starters while Carlos Beltran slides over to center and Jon Jay sits.
- Keith Law’s top 100 prospects list is out 4
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition 160
- Nationals sign former Blue Jays closer Casey Janssen 10
- Ichiro Suzuki’s deal with the Marlins is worth $2 million 34
- Orioles acquire outfielder Travis Snider from Pirates 37
- Not so fast on the Bud Selig Hall of Fame talk 50
- Blue Jays sign president and CEO Paul Beeston to extension through 2015 26
- Reds sign four-year contract extension with Devin Mesoraco 11
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition (160)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Why “Deflategate” would never happen in baseball (94)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (83)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)