Mar 30, 2012, 11:18 PM EDT
Because Juan Uribe is looking pretty much cooked.
Fresh off an inaugural season with the Dodgers in which he hit .204/.264/.293 with four homers in 270 at-bats, Uribe is batting .231/.286/.282 in 39 at-bats this spring. It’s also a safe guess he wasn’t the subject of any “best shape of his life” articles after reporting to camp.
Uribe is only entering the second year of that ridiculous three-year, $21 million contract that Ned Colletti gave him last season, so the Dodgers are pretty much handing him a starting job at third base. They might well be better off with Jerry Hairston Jr. or Josh Fields there, though.
The Dodgers enter the season seemingly assured of below average production at third, second and behind the plate, and things also aren’t so rosy at first base or in left field. It’s going to be up to Matt Kemp and Clayton Kershaw to carry the load again, but there is one good sign: Andre Ethier is having a terrific spring (.390/.435/.878 in 41 AB) and seems poised to give the Dodgers a legitimate bat behind Kemp in the order.
Jul 4, 2015, 9:42 AM EDT
Cabrera is headed to the disabled list for the first time in his 13-year major league career.
Jul 4, 2015, 8:55 AM EDT
A quick recap of a busy Friday, including a walk-off win for the Yankees.
Jul 4, 2015, 12:58 AM EDT
In a shocking move, the Rangers designated Neftali Feliz for assignment to clear roster space for Matt Harrison.
Jul 3, 2015, 11:45 PM EDT
Base Ba’al has no mercy for Coco Crisp.
Jul 3, 2015, 11:05 PM EDT
The Mets are VERY interested in Ben Zobrist.
Jul 3, 2015, 10:10 PM EDT
The Mets are getting desperate for runs, but aren’t ready to rush prospect Michael Conforto just yet.
Jul 3, 2015, 9:20 PM EDT
Miguel Cabrera suffered a calf injury after a single in the fourth inning on Friday against the Blue Jays.
Jul 3, 2015, 9:08 PM EDT
Anibal Sanchez has silenced a tough Blue Jays lineup.
Jul 3, 2015, 8:35 PM EDT
Patrick Corbin will complete his long trek back to the major leagues when he starts against the Rockies on Saturday.
Jul 3, 2015, 7:45 PM EDT
The Athletics haven’t used Josh Reddick much against left-handed starters. Reddick isn’t too happy with that, despite his results against southpaws.
Jul 3, 2015, 6:55 PM EDT
Jameson Taillon was getting pretty close to returning to action for the Pirates, but an inguinal hernia has knocked him back on the shelf.
Jul 3, 2015, 6:05 PM EDT
The Cubs acquired Clayton Richard from the Pirates and he’ll start for the club on Saturday.
Jul 3, 2015, 4:40 PM EDT
Jul 3, 2015, 3:52 PM EDT
Both he and the White Sox have disappointed this year, but he could help a contender.
Jul 3, 2015, 3:11 PM EDT
Chamberlain has posted a 4.09 ERA and an ugly 1.682 WHIP in 30 appearances this year. Gorzelanny has been even worse.
Jul 3, 2015, 2:13 PM EDT
$3.5 million will be paid out . . . to charity.
Jul 3, 2015, 2:05 PM EDT
He’s only had six plate appearances since being recalled in late June.
Jul 3, 2015, 1:00 PM EDT
And, someone, Tony La Russa placed in this thing.
Jul 3, 2015, 11:37 AM EDT
He changed his mind.
Jul 3, 2015, 10:01 AM EDT
“We’ll leave it at that.”
- Calf injury sends Miguel Cabrera to the disabled list for the first time in his career 0
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 3
- Rangers designate Neftali Feliz for assignment, activate Matt Harrison 5
- Anibal Sanchez loses his bid for a no-hitter with one out in the eighth inning 11
- The Yankees, A-Rod resolve their dispute over the $6 million milestone bonus 28
- Yankees donate $150,000 to charity to get Alex Rodriguez his 3,000th hit ball 21
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno 88
- Settling the Scores: Thursday’s results 59
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (88)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- Brian Dozier is the best second baseman in baseball (72)