Livan Hernandez released by Astros, signs with Braves

Mar 30, 2012, 2:10 PM EST

Livan Hernandez Getty Images

UPDATE: Surprisingly enough, it didn’t take Hernandez long to find another gig. Jon Heyman of CBSSports.com reports that he’s signing with the Braves, who for some reason prefer the 37-year-old soft-tosser to their various inexperienced prospects. Good thing Calcaterra is on vacation today.

==========

Once thought to be a near-lock for the Astros’ rotation, Livan Hernandez was released today.

Hernandez signed a minor-league deal in late January and looked likely to eat some innings for an otherwise inexperienced pitching staff, but the 37-year-old right-hander got knocked around this spring and the Astros decided to give opportunities to Jordan Lyles and Kyle Weiland instead.

Hernandez was surprisingly effective for the Nationals in 2010, but allowed opponents to hit .291 off him last season while posting a 4.47 ERA in 175 innings. He struck out just 5.1 batters per nine innings and averaged 83.9 miles per hour with his fastball, so if Hernandez couldn’t crack what figures to be one of the worst rotations in baseball he may finally be finished.

Of course, I’ve said that before.

1. Old Gator - Mar 30, 2012 at 12:56 PM

I’ve always loved Livan. However, if he can re-invent himself as a righthanded radical, there’s always work for him as a motivational speaker among the declining pro-embargo dinosaur population of Little Havana.

2. stex52 - Mar 30, 2012 at 12:58 PM

All right. Myers is a reliever now. Hernandez is waived. Who the hell is going to eat innings for all those young arms when they get tired? 1500 +/- innings a year guys! What are you going to do?

3. missthemexpos - Mar 30, 2012 at 1:09 PM

Looks like another former Expo rides off into the sunset….

4. koufaxmitzvah - Mar 30, 2012 at 1:11 PM

Shouldn’t that be “37-year-old”?

• Old Gator - Mar 30, 2012 at 2:10 PM

Probably 47 year old, but who knows?

Incidentally, I bestowed that latke on an elk burger last night. It was mighty tasty as it transfigured that slab of trefe into something wonderful. Now why the hell didn’t I think of this forty years ago?

• koufaxmitzvah - Mar 30, 2012 at 3:12 PM

My grandparents had 5 sets of silverware: milchik, fleishik, milchik for Passover, fleishik for Passover, and trefe.

And they weren’t religious.

Incidentally, if I ever make it out to the Mother Land, I plan on opening the Middle East Side Deli, at which point all the Hard Ball Talkers are welcome to come on down and have yourselves a bagel burger, or a burger bagel, with a latke on top. The bagel burger is a smaller patty than the burger bagel, but I’m sure that’s self-explanatory.

• phukyouk - Mar 30, 2012 at 3:16 PM

explain to me WHY they had milk, meat, Pesach AND non kosher? i mean… my inlaws did similar but thats cause my wife was religious…

• koufaxmitzvah - Mar 30, 2012 at 5:03 PM

My grandparents didn’t keep kosher, but my mother raised us. So my grandparents served my mom, sister, and me accordingly while they themselves ate with the trefe plates. They were very observant for very non-observant people.

• koufaxmitzvah - Mar 30, 2012 at 5:04 PM

*raised us to keep kosher.

5. mdpickles - Mar 30, 2012 at 1:37 PM

He may not be able to pitch anymore, but I bet he can still hit.

6. WhenMattStairsIsKing - Mar 30, 2012 at 1:40 PM

Teams need rotation depth. All he is IS depth. A lot of depth. Rarely seen depth. I hope he has a bit left in him.

7. st1080 - Mar 30, 2012 at 2:04 PM

I heard his fastball got up to 89 mph.

8. phukyouk - Mar 30, 2012 at 2:26 PM

Bloggers get vacation?

• sdelmonte - Mar 30, 2012 at 2:42 PM

They have to go to an office for 8 hours a day and sit in on meetings. It’s sort of a bizarro vacation.

• phukyouk - Mar 30, 2012 at 2:48 PM

ahhhhhhh so they have to go to work? ok… makes sense.

Hey if i win tonights $640 jackpot im buying Craig lifetime season tickets to the Braves.

• stex52 - Mar 30, 2012 at 4:40 PM

Why go half-measures? Buy the braves for him.

9. foreverchipper10 - Mar 30, 2012 at 5:56 PM

The only positive about this is that he won’t pitch CG gems against ATL this year like he seemingly always does.

10. Jonny 5 - Mar 31, 2012 at 9:26 AM

This was merely a preventive measure. So Livian can’t destroy the Braves like he did last season.

Maddon has high hopes for Cubs
  1. P. Sandoval (5747)