Mar 30, 2012, 3:15 PM EST
For now he’s been diagnosed with a sprain, but Tigers reporters watching in person described it as an ugly looking injury and Laird is expected to undergo an MRI exam.
Alex Avila is entrenched as the Tigers’ starting catcher and plays often enough that Laird’s role would be minimal even if healthy, but after losing Victor Martinez to a season-ending knee injury of his own Detroit will be very thin behind the plate if Laird is out for an extended period.
Omir Santos, who was just demoted to Triple-A, could be used to replace Laird.
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 108
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 40
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 5
- Braves scratch Mike Minor from start with more shoulder problems 4
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 367
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 33
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (367)
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (307)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene (109)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (85)