Mar 30, 2012, 3:15 PM EDT
For now he’s been diagnosed with a sprain, but Tigers reporters watching in person described it as an ugly looking injury and Laird is expected to undergo an MRI exam.
Alex Avila is entrenched as the Tigers’ starting catcher and plays often enough that Laird’s role would be minimal even if healthy, but after losing Victor Martinez to a season-ending knee injury of his own Detroit will be very thin behind the plate if Laird is out for an extended period.
Omir Santos, who was just demoted to Triple-A, could be used to replace Laird.
- Jose Altuve breaks Craig Biggio’s franchise record, tallying his 211th hit of the season 4
- Orioles beat Blue Jays to clinch AL East title 21
- Tanner Roark dominates as Nationals clinch NL East 18
- Masahiro Tanaka to pitch on Sunday 9
- Astros shut down George Springer for the season 0
- The Blue Jays will make a qualifying offer to Melky Cabrera 24
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 34
- MLB suspends Jonathan Papelbon seven games for incident during Sunday’s game 42
- Chris Davis suspended 25 games for amphetamine use (92)
- A few thoughts about the discrimination lawsuit against the Mets (91)
- Giancarlo Stanton diagnosed with multiple facial fractures and dental damage (91)
- Bud Selig can’t remember the last domestic violence incident in Major League Baseball (88)
- A couple of initial thoughts on the Chris Davis suspension (83)