Mar 30, 2012, 3:15 PM EDT
For now he’s been diagnosed with a sprain, but Tigers reporters watching in person described it as an ugly looking injury and Laird is expected to undergo an MRI exam.
Alex Avila is entrenched as the Tigers’ starting catcher and plays often enough that Laird’s role would be minimal even if healthy, but after losing Victor Martinez to a season-ending knee injury of his own Detroit will be very thin behind the plate if Laird is out for an extended period.
Omir Santos, who was just demoted to Triple-A, could be used to replace Laird.
- World Series, Game 1: Giants vs. Royals lineups 0
- HBT Daily: In which I waffle on my World Series pick 13
- Must-click link: surviving spring training on $0 a day 78
- Your Official HardballTalk World Series Preview 28
- World Series Reset: Game 1 — finally! — is tonight 31
- HBT Daily: How the Royals and Giants were built 4
- Two radio stations in San Francisco are refusing to play Lorde’s “Royals” during the World Series 40
- Royals tab James Shields, Yordano Ventura to start first two games of World Series 1
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? (120)
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (115)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (111)
- “The Kansas City Royals Are the Future of Baseball” — someone actually said that. (93)
- Travis Ishikawa sends Giants to World Series on walk-off three-run homer (79)