Mar 30, 2012, 3:15 PM EDT
For now he’s been diagnosed with a sprain, but Tigers reporters watching in person described it as an ugly looking injury and Laird is expected to undergo an MRI exam.
Alex Avila is entrenched as the Tigers’ starting catcher and plays often enough that Laird’s role would be minimal even if healthy, but after losing Victor Martinez to a season-ending knee injury of his own Detroit will be very thin behind the plate if Laird is out for an extended period.
Omir Santos, who was just demoted to Triple-A, could be used to replace Laird.
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 40
- Albert Pujols becomes 26th member of 500 home run club 32
- MLB suspends Martin Maldonado, Carlos Gomez, Travis Snider, and Russell Martin for Easter brawl 46
- “Respect the Game?” Phooey. 105
- The MLBPA is serious about investigating leaks to reporters regarding Stephen Drew, Kendrys Morales 32