Mar 30, 2012, 10:00 AM EST
Cardinals starter Chris Carpenter is out indefinitely with nerve irritation in his shoulder. On a radio show this morning, however, general manager John Mozeliak said that he is “optimistic” that Carpenter will be back in May.
If you were the sort to parse such statements — and, yeah, I’m the sort because I can’t help myself — you would consider whether that means that Mozeliak thinks Carpenter will be back in May and that notion makes him generally optimistic, or if Carpenter being back in May is an optimistic assessment of his timetable.
Then you would go on and obsess about whether the guy behind the counter at the coffee place this morning was genuinely hoping that I’d have a nice day or if he didn’t actually mean it. I mean, hoping that you’d have a nice day. In this hypothetical I just made up about people who read too deeply into things.
- Jayson Werth to serve five days in jail for reckless driving 40
- Keith Law’s top 100 prospects list is out 35
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition 166
- Nationals sign former Blue Jays closer Casey Janssen 11
- Ichiro Suzuki’s deal with the Marlins is worth $2 million 34
- Orioles acquire outfielder Travis Snider from Pirates 37
- Not so fast on the Bud Selig Hall of Fame talk 50
- Blue Jays sign president and CEO Paul Beeston to extension through 2015 26
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition (166)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Why “Deflategate” would never happen in baseball (96)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (83)
- The 2015 Braves have “gravitas” and “veteran leadership” and will have dirty uniforms. Just kill me now. (76)