Mar 30, 2012, 10:00 AM EDT
Cardinals starter Chris Carpenter is out indefinitely with nerve irritation in his shoulder. On a radio show this morning, however, general manager John Mozeliak said that he is “optimistic” that Carpenter will be back in May.
If you were the sort to parse such statements — and, yeah, I’m the sort because I can’t help myself — you would consider whether that means that Mozeliak thinks Carpenter will be back in May and that notion makes him generally optimistic, or if Carpenter being back in May is an optimistic assessment of his timetable.
Then you would go on and obsess about whether the guy behind the counter at the coffee place this morning was genuinely hoping that I’d have a nice day or if he didn’t actually mean it. I mean, hoping that you’d have a nice day. In this hypothetical I just made up about people who read too deeply into things.
- David Price surrenders nine consecutive hits to the Yankees in the worst start of his career 14
- Video: Jorge Soler homers in his first major league at-bat 12
- Adam Wainwright has a “dead arm” 29
- HBT Daily: Alex Gordon and the Royals keep on rolling 12
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 43
- Mariners extend general manager Jack Zduriencik’s contract 14
- Money, money, money (and Bud Selig’s nirvana) 16
- These days, the correlation between payroll and winning is historically weak 61
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare (247)
- Forgiveness for Pete Rose? Not in this lifetime (144)
- Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo to sign with the Red Sox for $72 million (96)
- Great Moments in Drug Testing and Punishment: The NFL Edition (94)
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. (92)