Mar 30, 2012, 10:00 AM EST
Cardinals starter Chris Carpenter is out indefinitely with nerve irritation in his shoulder. On a radio show this morning, however, general manager John Mozeliak said that he is “optimistic” that Carpenter will be back in May.
If you were the sort to parse such statements — and, yeah, I’m the sort because I can’t help myself — you would consider whether that means that Mozeliak thinks Carpenter will be back in May and that notion makes him generally optimistic, or if Carpenter being back in May is an optimistic assessment of his timetable.
Then you would go on and obsess about whether the guy behind the counter at the coffee place this morning was genuinely hoping that I’d have a nice day or if he didn’t actually mean it. I mean, hoping that you’d have a nice day. In this hypothetical I just made up about people who read too deeply into things.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 303
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 52
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (303)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” (86)