John Mozeliak expects Chris Carpenter back in May

Mar 30, 2012, 10:00 AM EST

St. Louis Cardinals starting pitcher Chris Carpenter celebrates after getting Texas Rangers' Mike Napoli to fly out and end the 6th inning of Game 5 of MLB's World Series baseball championship in Arlington

Cardinals starter Chris Carpenter is out indefinitely with nerve irritation in his shoulder. On a radio show this morning, however, general manager John Mozeliak said that he is “optimistic” that Carpenter will be back in May.

If you were the sort to parse such statements — and, yeah, I’m the sort because I can’t help myself — you would consider whether that means that Mozeliak thinks Carpenter will be back in May and that notion makes him generally optimistic, or if Carpenter being back in May is an optimistic assessment of his timetable.

Then you would go on and obsess about whether the guy behind the counter at the coffee place this morning was genuinely hoping that I’d have a nice day or if he didn’t actually mean it.  I mean, hoping that you’d have a nice day. In this hypothetical I just made up about people who read too deeply into things.

Yeah, hypothetical.

1. spudchukar - Mar 30, 2012 at 11:03 AM

More B.S. from the Cardinal front office. This is simply cover your ass spin. Suggesting Carpenter will be back by May quiets critics, (well not all), who want the St. Louis management to do something. It gives the Lance Lynn decision to play out. If he is successful, then it can be spun that they were wise not doing anything, if it doesn’t play out well, they can claim they knew Carpenter could return soon, and then if neither happen they have the excuse that they thought Carpenter would be back sooner. Cowards All.

2. stlouis1baseball - Mar 30, 2012 at 11:20 AM

I hear you Spud. Another theory…they may just be running a business.

3. stlouis1baseball - Mar 30, 2012 at 11:21 AM

Aside from the conspiracy theory…it is obvious (at least I am resigned to the fact anyway) that Carp is going to have nagging issues all year. If so…they need to do something regardless of how well (or not so well) L.L. does in the rotation.

• ajcardsfan - Mar 30, 2012 at 12:40 PM

Carpenter has always had some sort of issues over the seasons, he’s aging, it happens. I don’t think there’s really much to worry about here. It’s just another sign he probably needs to start think about retiring.

• stlouis1baseball - Mar 30, 2012 at 1:03 PM

Exactly my point AJ: Carp’s injuries seem to happen about every other year and when they happen…they seem to last for extended periods of time. With all the innings he ate up last year it was sort of a forgone conclusion.

4. sdelmonte - Mar 30, 2012 at 11:25 AM

Not a good spring for Chris Carpenters, is it?

5. thefalcon123 - Mar 30, 2012 at 12:34 PM

As someone who has spent 9 years watching Chris and his injury history with the Cardinals, I wouldn’t put any hope into this at all. Chris will be back when he’s back. He is the poster boy for wildly optimistic return times. If Mo says he’ll be back in May, then he’ll probably be back in July.

• stlouis1baseball - Mar 30, 2012 at 3:58 PM

Without a doubt Falcon. Actually my thought was…with Mo stating May it is more likely August!

6. stex52 - Mar 30, 2012 at 2:37 PM

Pitching depth! How many times do I have to say it? I have given up on Oswalt, because the Cards evidently have also. But you need someone to eat innings for a while. I agree that Carpenter’s healing time has been wildly unpredictable over the years. You need a contingency arm.

Maddon has high hopes for Cubs
  1. P. Sandoval (5532)